Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Early Frontier Forum (D22)

Old 12-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #1
elia

Vehicle: 98 Nissan Frontier Kingcab
Default value opinions on 98 frontier xe king cab 2wd manual 5 speed

There's one for sale here in Oregon. The body and paint look really good, with only a little completely superficial rust on the springs looking from alongside (hasn't been up on a rack yet) and the odometer shows 64,000 miles -- I'd ask my mechanic's opinion about whether it's the first time that has rolled around, as the seller says. It has a bedliner in good condition and the bed beneath it looks fine. It has a cap in good condition, though I don't like it much. The interior appears throgh the window to be in good condition, though of course it is 17 years old.

It has obviously been kept under shelter; the paint isn't faded at all. The Autocheck report shows an original owner in CA for a couple years, then one more owner in non-coastal Oregon until this year, when it was sold at a dealer auction - the seller is a dealer. I'll order a carfax report if I decide I'm seriously interested.

The asking price is 7500 dollars. That seems pretty high to me, given its age.

The tires look new. I've spoken withe dealer on the phone; he said he drove it for 160 miles and everything worked fine, the brakes seemed fine, and he wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere.

If anyone has input on what the actual value might be, I'd appreciate hearing it. I wouldn't put a lot of regular miles on it myself, but would probably feel the need to replace the fluids, fuel and coolant hoses, and anything else that might be at risk because of age. I would want to feel free to take it on some longish trips. The seller is ok with my taking it to my mechanic for inspection as long as I give him a cooy of what is found. I'm leery of it because of its age but it is a really pretty truck, and I'm sure there are quite a few people drooling over it on some level. It's been out for at least a few weeks though without selling, I suspect because of the price. I haven't looked under the hood yet.

Last edited by elia; 12-01-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: I'd like to bold the title
elia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

these things pull a premium in oregon (washington owner here that searched in the portland metro area too). and a low mileage, good condition one is worth even more. In the PNW, in 5 years youll be able to sell it for that much.

Dont trust the "i wouldnt hesitate to take it anywhere" thing because his motivation is your cash.

drive it, take it to a mechanic, then ask to walk under it for a few minutes on the rack with a good bright flashlight. you seem to know what you are looking for and what signs to look for. BTW, litle surface rust on the springs is just fine.

At 67K, its as good as any new truck you can buy for 40k (tacoma). if you drive it and you feel even slightly odd about it. simply pass. no one says you HAVE to buy it.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
elia (01-26-2017)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
elia

Thank you for your reply. So I don't mean to be dense, but you think $7500 is not unreasonable?

I really appreciate your thoughts. I guess I will go and take a better look, and drive it; I wasn't sure before.
b
Old 12-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
street_rulerr

the below is too wordy...

I think 7500, if clean and straight and in good condition and needs nothing than some fresh oil is the right dealer list price. Id want it for 68-6900 out of pocket and out the door. this is without having seen it though.

================================================== ==================================
i searched for my truck for 3 years. I wanted a straight, clean, low mileage, used truck. I finally found it and paid top dollar (5k) and its a 96 5spd 4wd.

Yes, the 2wd's call for a little less money. Yes the autos are less desirable (to me) but frankly i havent seen the ad. But if its clean, straight, runs well and has no timing chain issues or anything more than maybe 200 dollars in tuneup stuff (i presume you do your own tuneups) then id say you are in the ball park.

can you post a link to the ad? i can review and reply to you again if i see any red flags.

remember, these are worth less(seemingly worth less) than the toyota's but are every bit as good. look at what a 2000 with 200k+ on it goes for....3500. thats ludicrous. so to me 7500 dealer list isnt bad. have a friend call and low ball the crap out of him today at like 5500 then you go in tomorrow and offer 6500 and see if he bites.

Last edited by street_rulerr; 12-01-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Thanked by:
elia (01-26-2017)
Old 12-02-2015, 02:51 AM   #5
elia

The words are all useful, thanks.

There isn't any ad that I've seen. I just noticed it passing by a couple of times, then stopped and looked it over pretty well -- the dealer was out of town that day. It's an awfully nice looking truck.

I wasn't able to do anything on it today, but may be able to tomorrow. I need to get inside it and look under the hood to know if I want to pursue it further.

Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:49 AM   #6
elia

I bought the truck. It turned out to be very clean and in very good shape. It was thoroughly vetted by an excellent shop and the shop owner said he thought it was overpriced but he found similar prices being asked when he did some research. It could use new shocks and a wheel balancing, but the shocks will do for now. The clutch is wearing somewhat, but I think that with the light use it will get, that will be fine for way more than a year. He saw nothing that made him think the odometer had been rolled back and recommended doing the 60,00 mile service.

It drIves very nicely, and I'm really pleased with it. I feel that it's dependable, given the history of the 98's and its mileage and condition, and that is a lovely feeling. And no pesky power windows and door locks! Your opinion on the truck's quality really helped me make the decision.

Thanks again for the help. I walked out the door for guess what - $6900.
Your figure there helped a lot when negotiating with the dealer. He might have gone lower but he definitely knew what he had, and I didn't feel like haggling.

I'll try to post a picture soon, but I wanted to let you know the outcome and tell you that your responses to my post were significantly helpful. Thank you immensely.
-
Old 12-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
street_rulerr

NICE!!!!! awesome. this is the golden age of trucks. before they became all soft and wallowy.

you paid a lot but you also got a lot of truck. and i gaurentee that in 5 years you can sell it for what you bought it for in the PNW.

your truck is just as good as any brand new 35k toyota or 30k frontier. shocks? 200 bucks and do the rears yourself in 15 mins.

wheel balancing? let it go. the clutch isnt something that gets worse and worse, its either slipping or its not. ive never seen one that had some wacky in between issue other than a stiff pressure plate from having like 185k on the original clutch. and even at that the TOB was just a little nosier than normal and it was only noticably stiffer.
Thanked by:
elia (01-26-2017)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
elia

Thank you!

I figured that it was worth paying that because after my mechanic went through it I was confident of where I stood with it mechanically and I think it will be dependable for some time to come. It's in awfully good shape. And I honestly don't like the looks of most newer vehicles but think this one is well designed and attractive, which I like. He did say that I could go looking for something like this and never find it ; whereas this one kind of dropped into my lap. I really couln't pass it up.

But you've just helped stave off a temporary panic of buyer's remorse!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
HB06

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody Nissan

[QUOTE=elia;442915]I bought the truck. It turned out to be very clean and in very good shape.

Over a year and no pics. Whats up with that.
HB06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
elia (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
elia

Sorry about that, I will get on it. I have a bit of trouble posting photos with my current (chromebook). The truck is a beauty.