Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-02-2019, 04:23 AM   #1
Hunter Dickson
Cherry Bomb

Vehicle: Nissan hardbody 1987
Default Installing an aftermarket temperature gauge

I have a 1987 Nissan hardbody with the z24 engine manual transmission and my temperature gauge is dead it wonít move so Iím going to put in an aftermarket temperature gauge .Iíve done the install on a 350 Chevy before so I know roughly what to do ,but where exactly is the location of the temperature sensor so I can take it out and instal the aftermarket one thatís attached to the gauge and I know the one I get comes with three thread patterns will any of them work or will I need something more specific?
Hunter Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

There are two coolant temp sensors, they should both go into the coolant passage in the intake manifold, towards the front of the engine. The sensor with a 2-pin connector is for the ECU and the sensor with only one wire is for the temp gauge on your instrument cluster.

First things first, are you sure it's actually the gauge and not just a bad sensor or a break in the wiring somewhere? If you turn the key on then pull the wire off the sensor and ground it to something the temp gauge should go all the way into the red. If not, check that you have continuity between the pin on the instrument cluster connector and the spade connector at the sensor. There is also a voltage regulator inside the cluster that fails sometimes, but it affects both the fuel and temp gauges when it goes out.

Last edited by SBJ; 05-02-2019 at 04:41 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Hunter Dickson (05-02-2019), nunya (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
Hunter Dickson
Cherry Bomb

Thank you the fuel gauge works so I know it’s not the last option listed and i will test the gauge by grounding it tomorrow when I get out to work on it agin if that works and the temperature sensor is bad do you know what stores would be more likely to Cary one
Old 05-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Any auto parts store should have one, or be able to get one for you. It's a cheap part, about $10 or so if not less. But again, I would make sure the gauge moves when you ground it first. No point in replacing the sensor if the real problem is a broken wire or a bad connection somewhere.

And holy shit. 2000 posts already. I really need to get a life...
Thanked by:
Hunter Dickson (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
Hunter Dickson
Cherry Bomb

Awesome I will definitely check it first the truck I have had a decent amount of wiring problems because some yahoo wired in a few aftermarket lights and switches and speakers and of course all I get is a lot of cut wires and frustration I’m hoping to restore it but I’m having problems finding all the little parts anyway thank you for your help I didn’t expect a reply that fast
Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

SBJ very good to know, I get consistantly low readings at my dash , drive for hours on a hot day with a/c on, but never reads higher than 1/3.(93 4cyl. d21) I would like to believe this is true, but my luck just does not run that way. My previous 99 Frontier had occasional, unexplained and eventually fatal overheating, and this haunts me. Is there a way to test my calibration? Now that I know there is a second sensor for just the guage, I can do away with the one wire sensor without messing with ecm. I would rather do plumbing to share manifold hole with electrical oem sensor and mechanical after market guage, but that seems unlikely. Ideas? Sorry for long-winded post, my grampa was from Italy.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Any auto parts store should have one, or be able to get one for you. It's a cheap part, about $10 or so if not less. But again, I would make sure the gauge moves when you ground it first. No point in replacing the sensor if the real problem is a broken wire or a bad connection somewhere.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
I get consistently low readings at my dash , drive for hours on a hot day with a/c on, but never reads higher than 1/3.(93 4cyl. d21) I would like to believe this is true, but my luck just does not run that way. My previous 99 Frontier had occasional, unexplained and eventually fatal overheating, and this haunts me.

Seems fine to me. I have 1998 Frontier in Arizona (4-cylinder, 5-speed) and mine never goes up more than 40% on the scale, and my guess is that our temperature 3 feet above the freeway is hotter than yours !!!
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
SBJ very good to know, I get consistantly low readings at my dash , drive for hours on a hot day with a/c on, but never reads higher than 1/3.(93 4cyl. d21) I would like to believe this is true, but my luck just does not run that way. My previous 99 Frontier had occasional, unexplained and eventually fatal overheating, and this haunts me. Is there a way to test my calibration? Now that I know there is a second sensor for just the guage, I can do away with the one wire sensor without messing with ecm. I would rather do plumbing to share manifold hole with electrical oem sensor and mechanical after market guage, but that seems unlikely. Ideas? Sorry for long-winded post, my grampa was from Italy.
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine also sits right around 1/3 of the way up. Even sitting in traffic on a 100 degree day. It's a lot easier to test its accuracy in a 96+ vehicle, just plug in your scan tool and look at the data for the ECU temp sensor. IMHO it's not really worth looking into if you aren't overheating or starting to run hot. That said, a V6 radiator is a cheap upgrade, rockauto has them for 60-70 bucks. The automatic ones are usually cheaper for whatever reason, just buy one of those and ignore the trans cooler if you have a stick.
Thanked by:
nunya (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 03:28 AM   #9
Hunter Dickson
Cherry Bomb

So the sensor was good and I took the gauge cluster out of the dash and in plugged and plugged the temperature gauge and now it works but now my speedometer and tachometer don’t work