Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 06-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default tricks of the trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdswan View Post
Do you have an area that you could paint it yourself? Painting a vehicle is not that hard honestly. I would also recommend doing clearcoat. If you can use a rattle can you can spray a vehicle.
I appreciate your confidence in me dvdswan. I own two air compressors and a paint gun is cheap enough at Harbor Freight. I have a Master Offset Web Printing card, certification for Universal Technician in Hvac, been a plumber, a preacher and now a factory service appliance technician. If I have learned anything, it is that each of these skills sets are easy enough on paper, easier with Youtube ,BUT, only years of experience and muscle memory can produce professional results. If I do the spraying, I am sure I will be aware of every single flaw, every drip, fisheye and orange peel. These flaws will haunt me and cause a certain dispair in not being perfect. On the other hand, the same flaws produced by others who don't love me are easily forgiven. And yes, I know I am goofy, but I have a good time!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

Well, I have 3 flaws in my paint. One I can't get rid of unless I repaint the white. I had blue over spray in a small spot on the door. The other two will be cured by wet sanding. Orange peel and 3 gnats in the clear coat. All professional paint jobs have orange peel of certain degrees. Wet sanding cures that and all painters will wet sand the paint jobs. The gnats are because I painted outside, but they will come out in the wet sanding as well.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #13
nunya

gnats might add character
Old 07-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #14
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

I'm beginning some stuff to get my truck (1996) ready for paint, found small rust spots and have been addressing them, especially one on the bed where something crashed into it up front and bent it ever so slightly.

But I'm going to go get LineX installed first, and my paint guy wants it done first.

We are removing the bed to get paint between the cab and bed - somehow I'm down to primer sealer there.

Hope your paint job is going well! My guy is charging me $2500 but I have to do the sanding LOL My truck is also black...
Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
nunya

Default heres to hope

I am paying 750$. I removed all glass, trim, interior, only the dash remains, I masked the motor compartment, filled in the easier dings and patched a 3 inch rust hole in the bed. I used a scotchbrite pad to clean door jambs and any areas that sanding would not reach. I 320 sanded everything I could reach and washed everythind down with soapy water until rinse water "sheeted" evenly. The painter had me mark the dings that were left, and the rust at the top of the windshield. I hope that by doing all this work myself I have allowed the 'El Cheapo' paint guy to spend his time on quality painting.I also slipped the production manager 60 bucks to have my back, Heres to hoping, I will pick it up Saturday and put it in storage,(first month "free")
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (07-03-2019)