Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Damienqwerty

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan Hardbody
Default New 1994 Nissan multiple problems

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and to Nissan

I purchased a 1994 2 wheel drive 4 Cylinder Hardbody and have been using it as my daily driver for about a month while trying to fix problems with it and get it to a good running condition.

Me and my dad have replaced the starter and alternator. I fixed 3 vacuum leaks, changed the oil, new fuel filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced rusted rotten rims with aluminum rims and cleaned out a clogged ac drain that was leaking on the floorboard.

She is definitely running a lot better than when we got it. Seems to idle fine. Somtimes it does take a few tries before it will cranks and stay running but there still are a few problems that i am hoping some experienced Hardbody owners could possible help me with.

The biggest issue that i really want to get to the bottom of is that when my gas tank gets to a half tank, sometimes to a quarter tank. It starts to spit and sputter and acts like it is going to die. So i cruse at about 25 mph (if i try to give it to much gas it will die) to the nearest gas station and fill it up and it wont do it until the gas gets back down to that area again. With no No CEL on.

It can also act up when im on the hwy sometimes at high speeds and almost jerks violently. That has only happened a few times since ive had it.

My dad thinks that it is the fuel pump. Im not sure how loud the fuel pumps on these trucks are supposed to be but we can definitely here it kick on before cranking it. Supposedly the owner replaced the fuel pump right before we purchased the truck and i have no clue if the guy he got to do it knew what he was doing.

The second lesser problem is that i cant get the key out of the ignition HAHA!

I have found that if i reach down the column where your feet are, there is a little metal device that if i push on it i can turn the key and it will come out. my guess is that maybe there is some solenoid or something that is suppose to do what i do with my hand to make it release.

If there is anyone with some some guesses or possible solutions i could try i would greatly appreciate it. I am by no means a expert mechanic but i like to try and fix things my self if i can.

Last edited by Damienqwerty; 02-26-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Damienqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

that sound may not be a fuel pump you hear before cranking. remember its way out back under the bed. there is an emissions related part that sounds an awful lot like a FP, but its almost "slower" sounding.

the sputtering may be from either a TRULY empty gas tank and a bad level sender, or ive seen this with a really dirty fuel sock. the little mesh filter attached to the pump.

The key thing, there should be a button on the far side of the key from you. push it and the key will rotate back far enough to pull out. old american cars used to do this. your button on the column may be broken causing you to have to manually reach down and futz with it.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
Damienqwerty

I looked at some pics of ignitions online and do see the buttons but I can’t seem to find where it would have broken off on mine. I’ll try to get some Pics up tomorrow. Maybe the previous owner put a ignition from somewhere else on it. It is a 94 automatic if that makes a difference.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
'It can also act up when im on the hwy sometimes at high speeds and almost jerks violently...'
High-speed misses are often the fuel pump, or the filter is partially clogged. Might be fuel regulator on the throttle body, but I sort of doubt that because of the other symptoms relating to the fuel gauge. Since you changed out the filter, you can eliminate that.

Low-speed, or going-up-a-steep-hill misses are often a spark problem. If it idles fine, goes around town okay, but starts missing on the freeway, you have to look at fuel first.

That problem you have relating to the gas gauge is something I haven't seen before. Maybe the sending unit is funny, or that mesh is partially blocked, maybe the pump is slightly wrong one, or was installed incorrectly. If you go for the pump replacement, might as well check everything around it, maybe get the tank cleaned out, too.

I didn't see anything about a tune up. If you haven't done so, might as well change the cap/rotor/plugs just on general principles, to eliminate that from your list of possibles.

1994's are nice though. Worth fixing, although you haven't shown a picture yet. Average price here in Washington State for one that looks okay and runs good is around $3,000- $3,500. Is it King Cab, 4WD, have power steering or AC? I'm always curious on what someone is running in their truck.

You also said this:

Quote:
'My dad thinks that it is the fuel pump. Im not sure how loud the fuel pumps on these trucks are supposed to be but we can definitely here it kick on before cranking it. Supposedly the owner replaced the fuel pump right before we purchased the truck and i have no clue if the guy he got to do it knew what he was doing....'
AHA! That is a BIG clue. Listen to dad. The owner saying he just replaced the fuel pump shows that something was probably done WRONG...and after he fixed it...it was doing to him what it is now doing to YOU. Maybe that's why he decided to sell. People do that sometimes. They fix something, and if it doesn't work for them, they will sell the rig to get their money back and buy something else.

Fortunately, this isn't some super-major repair, but his 'I had it fixed' is a big hint for you.

I think someone said this, but if you sit in your cab and its quiet, when you turn the key to the ON position, you can hear the pump coming on. Sounds like passenger side, slightly behind you, or just sounds like passenger side. Makes a sort of quick 'whirring' and then stops.

Kudos that you joined Infamous Nissan. People here WANT to help you. Unlike those (ahem) 'other' Nissan sites.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 02-26-2018 at 04:24 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,038 Times in 914 Posts

You could also have water in the gas tank.

I would think the fuel would always suck from the bottom of the tank, but I don't know what these trucks do.

When looking at the fuel pump, the easiest thing to do is remove the bed. That is far easier than trying to drop the fuel tank. There are around 4 to 8 bolts holding the bed on there. You've got one electrical connector that unplugs underneath.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

fuel always sucks from the bottom. normally in most gas tanks theres a little baffle that looks like the barrel of a coffee can that the pump sits in. its to pool fuel around it so it doesnt get starved.

could be water too, toss in a bottle of "HEET" and see if that goes away. dont feel bad about shotgunning a 3 dollar bottle of shit for the fuel tank.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Damienqwerty

I also found a that the connection from the distributed that goes to the first spark plug was extremely corroded today and is a completely different cord than the others. Do any of yall have recommendations for the general spark plug, cables and distributed tune up as far as brand goes? Preferably a reasonable priced and decent quality.

Also whats the easiest way to share pictures with yall. Id like to show yall my truck and some of the things Ive encountered.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

NGK plugs and wires. Ive gotten by with a Napa cap and rotor.

I like using Imgur for photos. Make an account there and upload photos then embed them in your post.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,038 Times in 914 Posts

I second the vote for Imgur. The accounts are free, and you get unlimited photos. http://www.imgur.com

As for plug wires, I've always had crappy luck with even the best plug wires. I always go to the dealership and order a set of wires. Those last a good 10 years.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:55 AM   #10
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

If it is a column shift make sure that your shifter linkage is adjusted correctly. Can't take the key out if it doesn't think it's in park. Sure this applies to floor shift somehow.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote