Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 02-17-2015, 02:18 AM   #1
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab
Default Performance information for VG30 motor

I have created this thread to start successful power upgrades for the VG30. Once people have verified the findings it will be more informative but at this moment its more on what should work, I will update once I get the facts. I know NORPA might have more information since pathfinders share this motor. If you find a link let me know. I would have continued on the other thread I sticky'd but it would be out of order and could be confusing.

Since I have not done any work to a VG30 in over 6 years I will have to ask for input from forum members that have "done the homework".
Here is what I have so far thanks to 86NissanV6:

I was doing research on common mods for all the D21/Pathfinder stock motors, and all I came up with was for the VG30 so far.
VG30:

Exhaust: If you have a single cab short bed, Gibson sells a Pathfinder catback exhaust for the VG30E, and the Pathfinder looks like it'd be about single cab short bed length. Of course you can always make it your own and put a new muffler on, but the Gibson is bolt on.

Headers: Pacesetter and Doug Thorley make headers, but by looking at manifolds, 300ZX shorty headers and twin turbo manifolds will bolt onto the VG30 (SOHC) block.

Heads: Porting and polishing exhaust ports are another way to increase power. Switching to 300ZX cams will also see a little power gain.

Intake: This is a real challenge here, the VG30i intake will give you less power, but give you more torque, at 2800 RPM. The VG30E has 3 different intakes. The 300ZX intake will give you less torque than the Pathfinder intake, and the later Maxima VG intake with variable intake something (Need a name for it.), will give you the same torque as the Pathfinder intake.

Pistons: Boring out to a 3.4 liter and running VH45 pistons for higher compression is always a good start, but also, upgrading to 10.5:1 pistons for a VG30DE will get good results as well. I don’t know how well the spark plugs will still do, but I’d check for clearance first.

Boost: Boost is always a good option. Whether you can be lucky enough to find a supercharger adapter plate to bolt onto the lower plenum like the Xterra and Frontier had, using turbo manifolds to use your turbo(s), or making a procharger fit where the A/C used to. (If you plan on boosting the motor, please let everyone know how you did it and what pistons you used, high compression pistons usually don't mix too well with boost unless your running methanol fuels.)

ECU: There are a few options here, namely Nistune and Megasquirt. 4x4 Parts will program your ecu for performance and send it back as well.

I would like to keep this thread to things that have worked and not just a theory but we have to start somewhere.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:52 AM   #2
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Centrifugal supercharger should be stupid easy with a TBI engine. Probably similar with a MPFI engine. I almost had a chance to do this but it was sold from under me.

Exhaust: I hear things about Borla too. I believe some Borla stuff was NISMO parts for the D21.

Headers: Pacesetter for the VG30e 90-95 work fine on the 86.5-89 TBI. Only difference is the location of emissions bungs. They are long and are a bitch to get in the truck. The Y pipe on mine did not fit and had to be cut to get it on the headers then welded back together with a small sleeve. Very good power gain. Sound is not bad and throttle response is far, far better.

Heads/Cams: 4x4 Parts has cams for the truck. 2 levels, performance and euro spec. I believe Z31 cams will drop in as its still a SOHC VG30. That means we can get custom grinds too!

Intake: VG30e, you can slap on a higher flowing filter if you like. VG30i, back in the day KN did a OEM replacement filter. I have an idea I want to try for a full and freer flowing intake. Basically a silicone 90, some tube and a filter. I have no vacuum lines to the intake so no issues with those. The head breathes into the intake, just need a filter there.

ECU: JWT also does tunes all the way back to the 86.5 TBI V6.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ravenousweasel (04-29-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
fbccars924
Trash Panda

Vehicle: 92 SE V6 5Spd(Carlos, vg33 Swapped), 99 Tahoe SSV 4x4 (Dirty Hoe)

Performance ignition coils for mid 90's Mopar/dodge v8's can be adapted to be used on both the VG and the KA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Case View Post
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
i put 3k on it with a horrible rod knock before it barfed up a tranny.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
fbccars924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
scoobysmak (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
harper

Vehicle: 04 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbccars924 View Post
Performance ignition coils for mid 90's Mopar/dodge v8's can be adapted to be used on both the VG and the KA.
Can you elaborate on this for the KA?
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 AM   #5
fbccars924
Trash Panda

The VG and the KA both use the same coil so if you get the right coil lead and pigtail the coil upgrade works for the KA too.

look up the coil for the VG and KA.

Quote:
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 AM   #6
fbccars924
Trash Panda

I will be doing this to my KA truck once I get it running.

Quote:
Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Sneauxman

Vehicle: 1986 nissan hardbody

Can you tell me what's needed for the mopar coil on the vg30 or is it plug and play?
Sneauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
LongBedTed

Vehicle: Silver/Grey Nissan D21 1990 Regular cab v6 5 spd longbed

So correct me if im wrong but judging by what you have found out the best intake manifold is either the Pathy or the Maxima and not the Z31?

1990 v6 5spd HB 2wd Longbed
1992 Se-R Vvl swapped (Daily and weekend warrior)
1974 Datsun 260z Heavily Modified
Link--> http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/1123...chnotoytuning/
LongBedTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Troa
95 4X4 V6 HB

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Hardbody 4X4 V6

has anyone done the CPU upgrade or performance module from 4x4parts?
Troa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I'd guess its just JWT. I hope to be doing a JWT tune soon. I need to get some parts still for the build.

Oh, and one part of the original post is wrong. The VG30 will not make.it to 3.4L and be reliable. The wall thickness will be way too thin and it may not even reach that big. The VG33 has been documented up to 3.8L.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote