Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #1
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl
Default Transmission noise FS5W71C

Hello,

Recently I replaced my clutch due to slowly increasing shifting problems with it being hard to get into gear. The problem was fixed in the past by adjusting master cylindar linkage but this time it couldn't be adjusted away. The only real problems I found when pulling the clutch out were a dry spline and release fork points and the old clutch having much less spring back of the diaphram springs.
I have only driven a few blocks so far but the shifting appears to be back to normal. HOWEVER.

When I first pulled off the shifter boots in the cab before replacing my clutch I noticed a noise coming from the tranmission area. When the clutch is released the noise is there, and when the clutch is depressed the noise goes away. I was hoping that it was the clutch disc dragging but now that I have replaced the clutch the noise is exactly the same as before. It's impossible to know for how long this noise has been there since it can only be heard if I have the shifter boot off or am laying under the truck when it's idling.

Here is a video of the noise. It's hard to hear it on the audio but if you listen closely you can hear it. It sounds like a bearing sound and completely goes away when the clutch is depressed.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ps...eQhDgUggVY0ifQ
another
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sd...dBTyA8rGhor5zO

I am aware of the call for overfilling several transmission models.

Several months earlier I replaced the transmission fluid with redline MT-90. It wasn't long after that that my shifting problem appeared worse than ever making me replace the clutch. I put in exactly the same amount of MT-90 as I took out of the old oil (to fill plug) since it was so difficult to get the shifter off.

I bought another 1 qt of MT-90 and my plan is to slowly poor some in the shifter hole while the engine is running and see if the noise goes away.

I'm also considering just replacing the new MT-90 oil with the stock Nissan gl4 stuff for peace of mind. Has anyone reported problems with MT-90?

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by rockcrawls; Yesterday at 05:42 PM. Reason: linked to better video
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but that sounds like your input shaft bearing is on the way out. I doubt that putting MT-90 in there had anything to do with it, the synchronizers are a lot more sensitive to oil type than the bearings are. In order to replace it you'd have to take the transmission out and split the case. Not necessarily a full rebuild but you would at least have to replace the offending bearing. FWIW it can be replaced fairly easily once you have the case apart.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #3
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Ah...damn. Yeah could be input shaft bearing, if the noise is NOT coming from the engine. Hard to tell which in the video. One way to tell is to take a short length of broomstick and stick it against the valve cover and listen. Top end noise will come through.

Another repair possibility is to obtain another trans, hopefully with reasonable miles...and switch out all the new clutch parts to the new trans on the ground, and then install it.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 119,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #4
rockcrawls

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Ah...damn. Yeah could be input shaft bearing, if the noise is NOT coming from the engine. Hard to tell which in the video. One way to tell is to take a short length of broomstick and stick it against the valve cover and listen. Top end noise will come through.

It is definitely in the transmission because the sound completely goes away when you disengage the clutch. I just went out and listened again. It's not all that loud. My elderly friend couldn't even hear it with his bad hearing but my mom can hear it.

I'm still cleaning up tools today from working on the clutch in the dirt the past month. My floor jack got clogged with mud after it rained. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have garages or even property to work on your rigs.
I could probably pull the transmission back out in less than a day if I had my own garage but working in the dirt across town at someone elses house it's a pain in the ass 1 month long job.

So I just can't do it this year because I have no where to work on it and I'm tired of working in the dirt and the weather getting colder/rainier/windier.
I need to acually do something fun on this last weekend of summer so I'm barrow a car to go off metal detecting for the afternoon.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #5
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

This is what I did to get an extra liter or so in:

My carpet was virgin at that point and I didn't want to cut it yet.

With the pedal released, we can pretty much eliminate the pilot bearing. What happens with just slight pedal pressure? Not enough to move much, just to put a little pressure on the release bearing.
Some 2 wheeled things

highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #6
rockcrawls

Slight pedal pressure is no change. The noise appears and disappears at about half pedal. I think we can rule out the clutch release bearing because I put a brand new one on. That would work opposite anyway (noise would appear when pedal is depressed).
I really hope the noise goes away when I put more oil in but if not I won't be able to have a chance at working on it unless I win the lottery or have time and find a friend with space next summer.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #7
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
I think we can rule out the clutch release bearing because I put a brand new one on. That would work opposite anyway (noise would appear when pedal is depressed).
I agree. Sometimes there can be play in the system that is such that the fork and bearing can rattle. It would have been nice for it to be that!

Considering the decibel level, and your previous ignorant bliss of it, in my position I would top off that oil and soldier on as if it wasn't there. Become concerned when it is more pronounced. How many folks here may have this noise and not know it because they haven't recently pulled that boot?

Just my thoughts.
Some 2 wheeled things

highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #8
h.stickeye

Vehicle: *Black 91 D21 single cab *White 88 D21 single cab

Hang on, u say clutch not engaged, as in, in neutral, clutch out, it makes the noise? I just want to be sure.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:07 AM   #9
rockcrawls

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
Hang on, u say clutch not engaged, as in, in neutral, clutch out, it makes the noise? I just want to be sure.

Yes
clutch pedal fully off the floor in neutral makes the noise.
Old Today, 12:18 AM   #10
rockcrawls

Quote:
Originally Posted by highest_vision View Post
How many folks here may have this noise and not know it because they haven't recently pulled that boot?

Just my thoughts.

I'm wondering too. Maybe yall should check

And worst case is I'm wondering if that could possibly be a weak link on these trucks. Don't want this happening like happened to Carlos who just so happens to have the same truck as me!
Though his front cover has a number stamped in it and mine has a completely different style number stamped into it.

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ht=input+shaft