Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 08-11-2019, 01:14 AM   #1
Solarninja

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1992
Default MVSS to EVSS 92 2wd 2.4 d21

I have a 1992 manual trans 2wd ka24e d21 with a manual speed sensor. I have a full custom digital gauge swap with a gps speedo I am not concerned with the speedo working. I want to know if I can plug and play a electronic vehicle speed sensor off a later model (say a 97) and wire one pin to ground and the other to my ecu pin 32 so the ecu knows if I am moving or not. The reason I need to do this is I have a 2 step system that works off of speed sensor (at 0mph I have a 4500 rev limit anything above that I have a 7000 rev limit) however I cannot get beyond the first step because the ecu has no idea if the cars moving or not. Again main question will a 97 evss direct swap to a 92 tranny? If so does it have to pass thru a 97 gauge cluster or can it be direct wired to the ecu?

Any help would be super appreciated
Solarninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarninja View Post
I have a 1992 manual trans 2wd ka24e d21 with a manual speed sensor. I have a full custom digital gauge swap with a gps speedo I am not concerned with the speedo working. I want to know if I can plug and play a electronic vehicle speed sensor off a later model (say a 97) and wire one pin to ground and the other to my ecu pin 32 so the ecu knows if I am moving or not. The reason I need to do this is I have a 2 step system that works off of speed sensor (at 0mph I have a 4500 rev limit anything above that I have a 7000 rev limit) however I cannot get beyond the first step because the ecu has no idea if the cars moving or not. Again main question will a 97 evss direct swap to a 92 tranny? If so does it have to pass thru a 97 gauge cluster or can it be direct wired to the ecu?

Any help would be super appreciated
Yes. The 97 VSS will fit the 92 5speed. The wire colors are solid white and solid red from the dash cluster. I don't believe you can ground any wire tho
Solarninja (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Solarninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody92 View Post
Yes. The 97 VSS will fit the 92 5speed. The wire colors are solid white and solid red from the dash cluster. I don't believe you can ground any wire tho
Right, one wire should be (-) and the other should generate a pulse when the vss spins.

I'm not using a gauge cluster as previously stated I'm wondering if I can bypass the gauge cluster and hit the signal str8 to the ecu or does it *have* to pass thru the gauge cluster first?

Thanks for answering part 1! Now I know I can at least try without it being a total waste

Edit: I dont see a solid red and solid white on any of my factory dash wiring @hardbody92

Last edited by Solarninja; 08-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Thanked by:
Hardbody92 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Solarninja

Oh I see it sends ac signal. I wonder if it hits a transformer b4 the ecu...
I guess I'm the first one to try this? I'm just gonna find a newer vss and hook I into the white red in the dash area like you said and see what happens. Hopefully it works... I may have the only pre consult d21 with consult and 2step by the end of this, I'll let yall know how it works out

Edit. There is not solid white in the factory dash wiring.

Last edited by Solarninja; 08-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Solarninja

Ok info for you folks that are interested.... there is a transformer in the newer gauge cluster that sends a square wave to the ecu. So! If you want 2step in your hardbody you must have either a 95+ with evss already or do a 95+ dash swap.

Since I have done a full custom carbon fiber red led digi dash already I will not be doing this so no two step for me... but maybe this helps someone else? Or maybe someone else knows the signal the ecu is looking for cuz I cant find specs on it anywhere...if I can find that out I can get a transformer of the same specs and wire it between the speed sensor and ecu and bam! We have 2 step on obd1 bypassing gauges

Edit: possible work around: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...126/prd126.htm

Gonna try it will let yall know

Last edited by Solarninja; 08-11-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Edit: I dont see a solid red and solid white on any of my factory dash wiring @hardbody92[/QUOTE]

That's because the 92 dash has a MECHANICAL VSS
The 94 and up cluster does have the two wires
Old 08-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Solarninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody92 View Post
Edit: I dont see a solid red and solid white on any of my factory dash wiring @hardbody92

That's because the 92 dash has a MECHANICAL VSS
The 94 and up cluster does have the two wires
Right....but I had previously mentioned that I was not running the dash...so I'm not sure how this was helpful. Either your not paying attention to my question or your trying to troll me. For anyone else intrested and trying to do somthing similar I'll figure it out myself and let you know how it goes so we can get some actual useful information out of this thread.

For example of useful information I found out that the evss sends 0-5vac signal. The ecu reads a 2000 pulse per mile square signal 12vdc. The newer gauge cluster has a converter and a pulse generator built In to accomplish this but since im not running the dash, I found the module linked in my previous post that will take the 0-5v signal and convert it into 2000ppm square signal to feed to the ecu, bypassing the gauges. Once I get it installed I'll let yall know how it goes so anyone trying to do this dont have to beat there head against a wall to figure it out

Last edited by Solarninja; 08-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:30 AM   #8
Solarninja

Ok so I solved the 2 step issue. I found a square wave pulse generator on ebay for 12 bucks. Set to about a 25hz frequency should be just fine for letting the ecu know I'm moving above the 2step speed limit. I'll wire the signal to a normally closed pushbutton momentary switch. The ecu will think the truck is moving til I hold down the button, button cuts signal to the ecu letting the truck know I'm stopped and engaging the 2 step limit. Dump clutch and button...bam...I have 2 step launch control on an obd1 hardbody