Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 03-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
Danacat12

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody
Default Anywhere to buy a gas tank with a fuel pump and sender assembly in one?

Does anyone know of a place to buy a fuel tank with a fuel pump and sending unit assembly already installed for a D21 (US built) 1989 Nissan Hardbody? (Sealed unit I can't mess up). Or where to buy a fuel pump and sending unit assembly in one, for a US built 1989 Hardbody for a really cheap price? Yes, being a female without lots of auto knowledge or strength, I'm trying to follow the posts to fix my HB myself. So please forgive some of the questions for sounding "with great lack of knowledge or experience", lol.
I have a HB that doesn't start, all troubleshooting points to a bad fuel pump, and a bad sending unit, as the truck just cranks and cranks, and the fuel gauge had been faulty for a long time, before sitting in my garage for several years without running. I'm having a hard time finding a fuel pump and assembly, for a reasonable price, that fits my truck because it is NOT Japanese built, the engine code is an "I" at the front of the VIN.
Also, how hard would it be for me to lift the bed enough to get to the fuel tank to work on it? Thanks in advance.
Danacat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
h.stickeye
Banned

Vehicle: _

1 - no such thing as cheap when it comes to fuel tanks, even second hand ones will be expensive if you can find one. There are apparently new ones that will fit, I'm sceptical of those tho.

2- I've not seen anywhere to get it all in one.

3- bed is heavy, takes 2-4 ppl depending on strength. Someone here has detailed how to lift it by yourself with a jack but work conditions are cramped.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Danacat12 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,651 Posts

This is the part number I found for the fuel pump assembly for a USA made 89 hardbody when I search on nissanpartsdeal.com. Not a bad price for an OEM pump assembly. It’s about the same price as the aftermarket ones for the Japanese built trucks. As far as removing the bed, if you can get a few people to help you lift it you can just slide it back a couple feet, it doesn’t have to be removed completely.

https://btsautoparts.com/products/17...l-pump-new-oem
Old 03-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

What is wrong with the tank? The bed can be tilted to replace the sender/pump. Take out the front bolts (I don't remember if there are 4 or 6) and nuts off the rear 2, leave the bolts there for ease of realignment and to hold the bed in place. Jack up the front of the bed high enough for access to the top of the tank. Be sure to support it properly so it doesn't fall back down on you. You can also tilt the bed to the driver side and leave that side bolts in place if you tilt it that way.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
Danacat12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdswan View Post
What is wrong with the tank? The bed can be tilted to replace the sender/pump. Take out the front bolts (I don't remember if there are 4 or 6) and nuts off the rear 2, leave the bolts there for ease of realignment and to hold the bed in place. Jack up the front of the bed high enough for access to the top of the tank. Be sure to support it properly so it doesn't fall back down on you. You can also tilt the bed to the driver side and leave that side bolts in place if you tilt it that way.
The truck has sat for several years with some fuel, then no fuel. So I fear lots of corrosion inside possibly. But even more so, I thought it would easier to replace the whole tank, rather than try to replace the fuel pump assembly and do it correctly.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
Danacat12

One garage quoted me 450.00 to change the fuel pump- (190.00) just in labor alone he says, or 750.00 to change the fuel pump and assembly. Then I have to pay towing to get it there. :/ Even if I just did the fuel pump, what good is it as I will never know how much gas is actually in my tank?

Last edited by Danacat12; 03-04-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
h.stickeye
Banned

Vehicle: _

Your best bet is to get someone handy on the tools to help you and set aside a whole day. It's doable as someone without much knowledge, but annoying as hell that's why they charging you huge labour rates.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:15 PM   #8
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21

I have the same year as you. Actually pretty easy, if you go slow and dont force things.
I did this myself, with no help, in an afternoon, but was within yelling distance to a help if need be or safety.

Im just going to lay out what I did, to pass along the message about how it was done.

Sorry it seams long winded, im just being thorough...

I just bought my sender/pump assembly off of amazon.ca
Im in Canada so it might be a useless ad to show, but it did come from USA.

(Here is some amazon.COM ad's)( The exact product as I got here in Canada)

-Pump assembly

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...3363224&sr=8-4

-Tank

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...363270&sr=8-18

IF the pump doesnt already work, you may/may not have fuel pressure in the lines to the motor... but there might be...Remove the fuel pump relay fuse, and crank the engine to bleed off any pressure. Set fuse aside

Unplug the battery negative lead, and secure away from Batt.

I ended up lifting the bed with a hilift jack at the wheel well, covered in rags for protection...
Unbolt all bed bolt nuts(lubricate them first, PB WD40 ect whatever you like), unbolt the gas filler neck from the bed.(might need to use some needle nose vicegrips as the rust/paint ect hold them on so tight you wont be able to unscrew them with a screwdriver).
Unclip the electrical plug, underneath near the spare tire on the right side.

Lift carefully( Passengers side) and a little at a time to see if you missed anything.. The bed will sit on the bolts opposite of the gas tank. Jamb a few jack stands or block up with wood, at a good height to work with.(usuall about 15" to get the Pump assembly out.)
Its not that heavy, I just used my doall jack cause I had it...

Clean off the top area free of all dirt and debris, carefully unscrew the top tank assembly bolts...The supply/return hoses/clamps might need to be replaced, now is the time if anything. Unplug and carefully lift out as to not get crap inside... WHatch your eyes as there isn alot of space with you head near to the tank.

Honestly, Id look inside with a light to see how bad it is... My tank was pretty good with no rust or crap inside... obviously YMMV, but you never know, one less thing to buy.

The assembly I got had the O-ring and new hardware for re-installation.
Grease or oil(any oil/grease, it just cant be dry) the O-ring on assembly, bolt up all new bolts and hoses...
I tested the fuel assembly with the bed on the jack still, incase I forgot to do something or pressure sent a hose flying about...

Re-assemble the rest of the truck. Plug in electrical and test lights..... Go for a drive to get gas and enjoy..

Heres a good vid I used to follow.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGO...g&index=6&t=0s

Its an idea... hope it helps...
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
1madmouse (04-04-2020), jp2code (03-09-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintJunkie View Post
Spectra-Premium-SP4017M-Fuel-Assemblys
I like Spectra stuff as well. Although not my Nissan, I replaced the tank/sending unit in my 1995 F150 with one of their assemblies, fit just like the OE. Got it thru Amazon like FJ suggested

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #10
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21

For me, in this case... It was cheaper than the Rock auto..
And free shipping with prime..
A better deal indeed..
Also an excellent product..
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote