Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #1
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader
Default Gas tank pictures

Hello,

I'm trying to locate pictures of the fuel pump that goes inside a gas tank.

The tank model is 17050 S3800 on a 1991.

I accidentally got a small piece 1x2 inches of very thin plastic and a rubber band into the gas tank (don't ask but never underestimate the power of siphon suction) and I'm wondering what the suction line on the fuel pump looks like and how concerned I should be about it getting blocked.

And if I should post this in the F*#$ thread. lol

There is enough clearance between the tank and the bed to maybe get the fuel pump out or at least to the side and look down there to maybe fish it out but it's rusted so bad I'd probably get more junk in the tank if not strip the bolts/screws holding it down.

The replacement fuel pumps look like they have a little mesh basket protecting the inlet but the only picture I've found so far of an original one looks to just have a tube.

PS: I do now have a piece of the plastic and similar rubber band sitting in a small container with gasoline to see if and how long they will take to dissolve.

Last edited by rockcrawls; 02-23-2020 at 12:22 AM.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:09 AM   #2
sdfp45

Vehicle: 86 Nissan D21

It should have the mesh basket surrounding the suction port. Every Nissan fuel sender/pump assy I've seen sports this. If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Leave it be.

If you do decide to mess with it, you WILL have to drop the tank. Those sender assemblies are a PITA to maneuver even then the tank is out. You won't have enough room to do anything meaningful with the tank in. You might be able to pull it up a few inches but you certainly won't be able to remove the whole thing (they are spring loaded so that the bottom of the pump sits flush with the tank, therefore the whole assy is maybe an inch or so longer than the height of the tank). If you go fishing for stuff in there you'll more likely damage something you weren't intending to, ie the float assy, and unlikely you'll be able to fish anything out anyhow. The fuel pump sits in a baffle tub that comes up maybe halfway the height of the tank making it even more difficult to do what your looking to do.

Also, once the sender is removed the o ring seal beneath will more than likely need to be replaced. Ive tried to reuse a seal once, it wasn't even that old-maybe a year or two, and it had swelled up so much from the gasoline that physically I could not get it to reseat into its groove.

Scott
86.5 D21 Z24i Longbed - all stock 220k mls

Last edited by sdfp45; 02-23-2020 at 02:18 AM.
sdfp45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
rockcrawls (02-24-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 03:22 AM   #3
rockcrawls

Thanks Scott,

The Haynes manual shows that it sucks fuel from an opening in the bottom. See attached.

Sadly it doesn't look like the plastic (cling wrap) is dissolving in gasoline yet.
I also just pushed some plastic down into a jar and poored a tiny bit of injection cleaner into it. The injection cleaner immediatly started dripping through so I got excited. I repeated the experiment in case there was a hole in the plastic and yup, it's not dripping or leaking through now so the plastic isn't immediately dissolving which is a major bummer.

It's going to suck always thinking at any time I could be driving in the future now and the fuel will just cut out. But at least I'll know what caused it if it happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (58.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-23-2020, 04:24 AM   #4
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21

Another option is to lift the bed....
I'm in the process of doing this job, just waiting for good weather..
With lifting the bed, you won't need to get underneath the truck, and deal with heavy tank of gas...
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:34 AM   #5
rockcrawls

I found videos on youtube showing some fuel pumps. I guess my only question is does my fuel pump have the sock strainer filter that comes out of it into a square or one that is some internal one inside the bottom. If it's the mesh square sock that comes out then I shouldn't have to worry about it.

This is the one I have.

17050 S3800
No strainer sock showing in this picture

https://btsautoparts.com/products/17...l-pump-new-oem

I have lots of space under my truck since the exhaust fell off. If it wasn't for rusted bolts it would be a walk in the park.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:54 AM   #6
rockcrawls

Well this looks to be my exact model pump and it has the filter on there. But he said he changed the pump filter already. lol
https://www.ticoracer.net/forum/bien...-se-apaga.html
Old 02-23-2020, 05:16 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

The rubber band will definitely crumble into nothing after a while. Even exposure to the open elements will do it, as the guys who found that DB Cooper hijacking money in 1980 found out. They get brittle, crumble into dust.

The cling wrap will get soft and eventually dissolve, but it will take a while. If the motor cuts out later due to lack of fuel...pull your fuel filter and replace it.

Truth is, it is unlikely any of this will cause a problem. Stuff will eventually dissolve. Until then, try to keep the tank from getting too low on fuel. The dissolved residue will eventually reach the filter. Might go through and burn out, maybe not. If it doesn't you can get a new filter.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
rockcrawls

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I got it done!

For the record. Red rubber bands I'm pretty sure will not dissolve into gasoline. They just swell up and seem to like the gas.
Also for the record, I also don't think cling wrap will dissolve and if it does it may take years. So don't listen to anyone saying that elsewhere on the internet.
Maybe if the rubber and plastic was exposed to oxygen/air and UV at the same time, but submerged in gas they seem to do just fine.

I was able to leave the tank in place. I cleaned the fuel pump opening really well with scrapers and then blew all the dust and rust away with an air nosel of an air compressor.

It took no effort to pull the pump up. I was then able to hold it to the side with a bungee cord while I placed a light and used a mirror and gripper to reach down and grab the rubber band.

I'm pretty sure as you all pointed out this was unnessisary. The end of the fuel pump has a black filter sock on it. But now I have absolutly no worry about it and I learned a lot more about the fuel sender pump and my gas tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0005-.jpg (82.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0006-.jpg (97.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0007-.jpg (93.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0010-.jpg (85.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0011-.jpg (92.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by rockcrawls; 02-24-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I admire your patience working around that. I probably would have tilted the bed up and lifted the entire pump out. Well done!
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
rockcrawls (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default So much for MY idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I admire your patience working around that. I probably would have tilted the bed up and lifted the entire pump out. Well done!
In the past. I had wondered if a guy could simply cut a neat hole in his bed to access the fuel pump. Thanks to these pics, I see that there is a piece of bed frame in the way. So much for that plan. Thanks Rockcrawls
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote