Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #31
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Anyone think to check the bulb itself? Might be burned out. The one in the instrument cluster. It will be a 74 bulb. But if you are going to pull your panel, might as well buy some of those 194 and 74 LEDs and brighten up your dashboard.
I was thinking the same thing. 30 year old bulb?
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #32
ohgood

Vehicle: 95 ex

i'm not sure if my low fuel light LFL works anymore. when i bought the truck it worked, as it was on when i test drove it. the other day it was pretty low and stumbled going up a slight incline, so i pulled into a fuel station. the light was not on, so i'm assuming from now on that it's not working.

is there a test circuit for this ?
my odometer doesn't work, so if my fuel gauge is starting to get iffy, i really need ONE of them to work ;-)
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #33
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
i'm not sure if my low fuel light LFL works anymore. when i bought the truck it worked, as it was on when i test drove it. the other day it was pretty low and stumbled going up a slight incline, so i pulled into a fuel station. the light was not on, so i'm assuming from now on that it's not working.

is there a test circuit for this ?
my odometer doesn't work, so if my fuel gauge is starting to get iffy, i really need ONE of them to work ;-)
Pull instrument cluster. Remove smaller bulbs one at a time and look to see which ones are burned out, and which are not. For the smaller ones, you need size 74 bulbs. The five bigger ones are 194 bulbs. The fuel light comes on when you reach (about) one and a half gallons of fuel remaining. On most of these trucks your fuel gauge needle has to be one needle width BELOW the E mark before it comes on. You should see a slight space between the E mark and the needle itself.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ohgood (02-13-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:59 AM   #34
EDigges

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan King Cab

See my post here: http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42190
Still working after 10k miles. One thing I don't like is as soon as the light comes on, I have less than 10 miles before running out!
EDigges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 AM   #35
Mazdaspeed6

Vehicle: 1997 base model Hardbody

Never thought about having a light for the fuel gauge, I did notice I dont have many miles on Empty to drive before it hiccups though so I make sure to fuel up when it hits empty and only allow about 10/12 miles when it hits empty, the 10/12 miles is what I give myself not that the truck only allows that much
Mazdaspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #36
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

I have no idea if my '98 or 2004 Frontiers even have a low fuel warning light, or if it even operates. I just use my fuel gauge.

Same for my 1988 Mazda truck, 1970 VW, 1971 VW.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 105K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 253K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 220K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (215K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:45 AM   #37
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
I have no idea if my '98 or 2004 Frontiers even have a low fuel warning light, or if it even operates. I just use my fuel gauge.

Same for my 1988 Mazda truck, 1970 VW, 1971 VW.
If you can find the PDF for the Owner's Manual on any of those vehicles, the Owner's Manual will tell you if it has one, and where it is.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #38
Danacat12

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

Oh great! You guys are complaining about your light not working, I just replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump assembly on my 89 HB, and now my warning light won't go off! Lol. Is there a way to reset the "warning light", kind of like a "check engine" light,to make it go away?
Danacat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:38 AM   #39
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danacat12 View Post
Oh great! You guys are complaining about your light not working, I just replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump assembly on my 89 HB, and now my warning light won't go off! Lol. Is there a way to reset the "warning light", kind of like a "check engine" light,to make it go away?
I just do NOT have a clue on this. Did some Google searches and came up empty. You COULD try resetting your computer, though. See what that does. Your computer *might* be tossing some weird code related to the replacement of the pump, but I don't know. Worth a try, though.

If that doesn't work, what you can do is keep track of which bulb is the indicator for the low fuel warning...then pull the instrument panel out a few inches, and ditch the bulb. Before you try that, you could try another 'thing' I guess. Start the engine, and then pull the fuse for the fuel pump. When the engine dies, switch off the ignition and put the fuse back in and start it up again.

Or...you could pull the negative battery cable and leave it overnight, then connect it up again in the morning. If none of the easy fixes work, then I would pull the bulb as a last resort. It's not going to help you anyway if the damn thing stays lit all the time. You won't even miss it after a while. Hardly anyone lets a fuel-injected engine get TOO low on fuel anyway. It can clog your injectors, but more likely you will clog your fuel filter.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #40
Danacat12

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
I just do NOT have a clue on this. Did some Google searches and came up empty. You COULD try resetting your computer, though. See what that does. Your computer *might* be tossing some weird code related to the replacement of the pump, but I don't know. Worth a try, though.

If that doesn't work, what you can do is keep track of which bulb is the indicator for the low fuel warning...then pull the instrument panel out a few inches, and ditch the bulb. Before you try that, you could try another 'thing' I guess. Start the engine, and then pull the fuse for the fuel pump. When the engine dies, switch off the ignition and put the fuse back in and start it up again.

Or...you could pull the negative battery cable and leave it overnight, then connect it up again in the morning. If none of the easy fixes work, then I would pull the bulb as a last resort. It's not going to help you anyway if the damn thing stays lit all the time. You won't even miss it after a while. Hardly anyone lets a fuel-injected engine get TOO low on fuel anyway. It can clog your injectors, but more likely you will clog your fuel filter.
Thanks XoXSciFiGuy for the suggestions. I found the procedure for resetting the computer. I will try that too.

Last edited by Danacat12; 08-06-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Danacat12 is offline   Reply With Quote