Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB,95 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

I would change the o-ring, its cheap and you don't have to worry about it leaking...
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #12
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
I hate to be a nitpick, but even Nissan, and d21 era parts, some are China made shit.
As do I, this x1000. You get what you pay for. It's kind of funny how when I first bought this truck I replaced the broken parts with cheap aftermarket ones and now I have owned it long enough to see those parts fail and need to be replaced again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
Thanks guys for the support. It should come in tomorrow. The fuel tank to my surprise actually looks pretty good. Any suggestions on properly cleaning it? The gasket looks in good shape however would you suggest changing that as well? I did do some research and they said use b12. Thanks in advance for the advice.
B12 is good stuff but it's kind of expensive. That fuel sending unit looks a lot like the one that came out of a 1980s tractor we have at work. Initially I was going to ask why not just replace the pump by itself but I am very glad I looked at the pictures first lol. I hope all the bolts played nice removing it.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Danacat12 (03-05-2020)
Old 10-27-2019, 01:42 AM   #13
winter

Vehicle: Nissan HardBody 1991

Just an update, the new fuel sender assembly came with the o ring so that was replaced. The after market one worked. Ended up cleaning the tank with B12 now it’s clean as a whistle and dried up. Changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid. Flushed the radiator, added some fuel cleaner. Put the key in the ignition after a all clear by a friend of mine that’s a mechanic that came and looked at it. She turned over and started right up. No check engine light or anything. Is there anything I should look at? I let it idle for about 30 minutes temp went up to normal running nothing more. Didn’t rev it yet or anything
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
amlevin (02-10-2020)
Old 10-27-2019, 01:43 AM   #14
winter

Vehicle: Nissan HardBody 1991

Oh and I should mention I purchased it for $100
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Just an update, the new fuel sender assembly came with the o ring so that was replaced. The after market one worked. Ended up cleaning the tank with B12 now it’s clean as a whistle and dried up. Changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid. Flushed the radiator, added some fuel cleaner. Put the key in the ignition after a all clear by a friend of mine that’s a mechanic that came and looked at it. She turned over and started right up. No check engine light or anything. Is there anything I should look at? I let it idle for about 30 minutes temp went up to normal running nothing more. Didn’t rev it yet or anything
Suggestions? Don't add any more fuel cleaner. Burn high quality gas instead. Arco Supreme or Standard Supreme are good.
Why rev it hard? Don't. It's an antique...almost. Never ask anything more than your engine can actually give you unless you have a damn big wallet.

Never buy a starter for a hardbody that comes rebuilt from China. SOME stuff from China is okay. Some is not. They do lighting and accessories pretty well, but anything else is suspect.

Switch to 15" tires and wheels as soon as you can. Afterwards, your speedo will show you 2MPH faster than you are actually going. If you have a bench seat, go to buckets and a center console. If the back window on your cab doesn't open, go to a slider. Pack an emergency repair kit with tools and extra small parts behind your seat. Have a decent shop that knows how to diagnose these trucks (for real) give you a full diagnosis. Lie to them and say you're considering having everything fixed through them. (ain't I awful?)

Next time you change your oil, make the first quart Hy-Per-Lube. This stuff works. I did tests.

Improve your lighting everywhere. Do LED where you can, although I don't support switching to LED headlights just yet. Sure works good for everything else, including dome light and instrument panel lights.

I dunno. Upgrading trucks they haven't produced in the USA since 1997...each move requires a lot of thought.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
h.stickeye
Banned

Vehicle: _

On the mechanical side, I would check the brakes before going on a drive. Do two tests, low speed hard brake like someone stopped in traffic suddenly and higher speed sustained braking.

Flush your braking system.

Other than that, these trucks will tell what needs fixing along the way.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #17
Danacat12

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody
Question

Quote:
Hello I have a 1991 Nissan Hardbody. I recently purchased this as a project because I’ve always loved the hard body trucks.

The fuel was left in the tank for about 10 years. I don’t have much knowledge on the fuel pump and assembly however the one I pulled looked terrible I will attach photos.

I’ve found a few replacement assemblies however they are Japan made and this one is American made. I’m looking for an American made and I can’t seem to find one! Will a japan made still work?

VIN: 1N6SD11S3MC406097

Any help would be much appreciated. Please look at the imagines do I even need a new one?

Hey Winter, I'm facing the same problem. I have an American made 1989 Hardbody, and can't find US built fuel pump assemblies anywhere, at least for a decent price. Were they right? Did the one you ordered from Amazon (Japan built) work just fine ?

Oops, my page finally loaded the missing comments I didn't get to read yet. I see the Japan built pump assembly appeared to work on your American made truck. Is your HB still running good?

Last edited by Danacat12; 03-05-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Danacat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:24 AM   #18
Danacat12

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Thanks! I followed that link, got the fuel pump assembly for one of the lowest prices around, and yes, it works! I have an American built HB, and this Japan built fuel pump assembly worked just fine for me too! Once it was installed, it started right up. Maybe it's that the Japan built fuel pump won't fit in a US built fuel assembly, because it is bigger in size, I think I read somewhere, not sure though. But because the fuel pump and assembly come together, it's not a problem. It worked for me as well.
Danacat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21

Yup... That one I also bought recently for my 89... Worked out great..
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Danacat12 (03-15-2020)