Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
In the past. I had wondered if a guy could simply cut a neat hole in his bed to access the fuel pump. Thanks to these pics, I see that there is a piece of bed frame in the way. So much for that plan. Thanks Rockcrawls
Just cut the neat hole bigger. But after you do, you might want to get a slightly larger piece from a wrecking yard bed to do the replaceable cover.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

Especially with a 4x4, it really doesn't seem like that big of deal to drop the tank unless your bolts are so rusted you can't get an air ratchet on them. I saw some beds on youtube videos of this so rusted with holes in it that it didn't make much difference if they cut the bed or not though one guy tried and failed because of the cross members.

There are 2 17mm bolts holding the rear of the skid plate protector on. Another two holding the front of it. I was able to break them all loose with a breaker bar and back them off by hand wrenching several turns before I changed my mind.

Then 3 more holding the gas tank on the rear and 2 or 3 more holding the front of the gas tank.
Then the hose clamps take a 7mm socket and wd40 made them unscrew like new.

The wheel well hose protector sheild was so rusted on mine the philips heads screws just stripped their head but a good pair of vice grips unscrewed them easy and I even reused the stripped head screws putting them back on with vice grips because there is plenty of space to work (unless you got a low rider maybe).

Next time you are working under your truck, coat them in grease or wd40 so they are better prepared for if you ever have to pull it in the future.

Last edited by rockcrawls; 02-25-2020 at 05:24 PM.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Next time you are working under your truck, coat them in grease or wd40
so they are better prepared for if you ever have to pull it in the future.
Smart idea there.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:17 AM   #14
FlintJunkie

Vehicle: '89 D21

Thanks OP for the pics..
I just installed the new fuel pump assembly for the fuel gauge.. lifted the bed..

Heads up on Those small screws on the pump assembly flange, to hold it down, are kinda brittle..... Watch out when trying to back them out...
Those Philips screws on the filler neck are a real pain too.. I ended up using the vice grip to unscrew the 2 I couldn't and stripped out..

I used antiseeze on all the bolts on reassembly.
FlintJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #15
Danacat12

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintJunkie View Post
Thanks OP for the pics..
I just installed the new fuel pump assembly for the fuel gauge.. lifted the bed..

Heads up on Those small screws on the pump assembly flange, to hold it down, are kinda brittle..... Watch out when trying to back them out...
Those Philips screws on the filler neck are a real pain too.. I ended up using the vice grip to unscrew the 2 I couldn't and stripped out..

I used antiseeze on all the bolts on reassembly.
Hey FlintJunkie, how easy is it to lift the bed to work on the fuel pump, given I'm a female without big brute males around to help?
Danacat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #16
1madmouse
1madmouse

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1991,standard cab 4cyl 5spd

I know on my 91 I used eyebolts I screwed into the trusses in the garage with 2 come-alongs and some rope, but you could use a floorjack and some sturdy blocks of wood to raise it from underneath the bed. I'm not that big, like 5'4" and old , 67 and if I can do it, probably anyone can.
1madmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:23 AM   #17
rockcrawls

I know I have asked this before but I forgot the answer.

When I turn my key to on position before starting the truck I hear a noise for a couple seconds. Is that the fuel pump priming the system? About a year ago it started making a dry sound like whatever it is, is wearing out. What part should I be prepared to replace at some point?
Old 07-16-2020, 02:27 AM   #18
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
I know I have asked this before but I forgot the answer.

When I turn my key to on position before starting the truck I hear a noise for a couple seconds. Is that the fuel pump priming the system? About a year ago it started making a dry sound like whatever it is, is wearing out. What part should I be prepared to replace at some point?
Normal sound. When you turn the key to the ON position, the fuel pump starts up for about two seconds, and then stops. It is priming the gas line to the proper pressure. About 43 pounds of pressure, which is more than is in your tires. When you DON'T hear that whirring sound...there is a problem.

NEVER...take off your fuel filter or a gas line without properly releasing the fuel pressure first. It will be like you at the car wash, only it will be gas instead of high pressure water. If it hits anything hot, or gets a spark from the battery or something...WHOOMPH...big engine fire.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:52 AM   #19
rockcrawls

Something is going out on it though. It's making a dry squeaking sound when it runs.