Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #51
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Hmmm...that looks to be about a 3-4 hour drive from me. I have no problem driving up to WA and might be interested in going depending on when it is but I still think we should have a get together in Oregon. I am still planning to scout out around Dorena Lake, but that area just got hit pretty hard so I was going to wait until the floodwaters are under control and the mess has been cleaned up. Anyways, the weather is slowly but surely starting to warm up. I'm thinking I will probably hit up that spot near the coast again (or one nearby) to kick the season off.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Wersh (04-12-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #52
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

I am working with these other folks. We may go to Oregon, after all. The property where the placard was found is Weyerhauser. They are getting itchy due to liability issues if you get trapped on their property due to wildfires. This has become a BIG problem in the Northwest the last two years.

It's been suggested we might be better off just meeting in Oregon for a general DB Cooper gathering where the public is invited, shooting video, doing podcasts, live posts to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I am starting to go along with this idea, and maybe shelving the other idea for later. We can still use the metal detectors to try and pick up spare change from around the campsite.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 115,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #53
XoXSciFiGuy

Okay, it's been decided. It's OREGON for the meetup.

This is the timeframe I have going, and how I will do it:

The meetup will be held from Friday, June 21 through Monday, June 24th. Staying that long is up to you.

I will start driving down from Seattle with a full gear load around 11PM on Thursday, June 20th. This is so I leave myself plenty of time to reach any meetup spot.

We can meet in the early morning on Friday, at a restaurant or store in the town closest to where we decide to go off-road. This will give us time to get acquainted, pick up last-minute supplies, and continue on caravan-style.

We will either travel to a prearranged site, or at least explore an area with sites aplenty and just pick one along the way.

Any site selected has to be within a National Forest area that allows camping, and far away from organized campgrounds.

We are about eight weeks away from this event. PM me with any questions. Bring your favorite movies or video games.

I am posting this pretty much everywhere else as another 'DB Cooper Campout'. This means I will bring the Cooper movie with Treat Williams and the two minute promo reel on the upcoming movie on Cooper. I think we should also do some stuff for YouTube in hi-def, but we can talk about that later. Mostly the purpose is to have fun, not shoot video.

No one under 21 is allowed.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 115,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 04-16-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #54
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Sounds good. I will almost certainly go out and camp solo before then and might also use it as a chance to find us a spot. Are we still thinking Dorena Lake/Cottage grove area?

Another thing...I can also take Thursday off work, so I wouldn't mind heading out a day early to secure us a spot. In my experience all the good spots are taken by Friday afternoon, especially after school gets out.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #55
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Sounds good. I will almost certainly go out and camp solo before then and might also use it as a chance to find us a spot. Are we still thinking Dorena Lake/Cottage grove area?

Another thing...I can also take Thursday off work, so I wouldn't mind heading out a day early to secure us a spot. In my experience all the good spots are taken by Friday afternoon, especially after school gets out.
Yes, I was still thinking of that area. Seems convenient to everyone. I could take Thursday off that week, yes. Leave Wednesday night late, meet somewhere in Cottage Grove Thursday morning. Main thing is the place to meet and the time. And how everyone coming will communicate with each other. Cell seems the most sensible way.

Anyone who really wants to go should PM me for details. Some stuff I can't post publicly. Don't want any people to get lost trying to find us.

Maybe we should just set a place to meet, a date, and a time. Anyone not showing in the time slot can either call, or hope for the best. A restaurant in Cottage Grove might work. We can research out a last second stop for more supplies and go there after we Eat and Meet...then off we go into the wilderness. Don't forget to bring a chair and your favorite movies. This is going to be more fun than the Eclipse Trip. (*insert evil laugh here*)

EDIT: WordPress article with details on this trip coming soon. I will make a new post with the link to the article when it is ready.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 04-19-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #56
XoXSciFiGuy

I am being pulled from two sides regarding this trip. No kidding. I just got a message from the Land Use Manager at Weyerhauser. She says THIS:

Quote:
Hello Robert,

I can make this trip happen for you. As a local to the area since 1975, I have always been intrigued by this case. I will be out of the office for the next few weeks but will email you when I return. FYI, the GPS location is in a 19 year old planation about 170’ from the 4790 Road.

Thank you.
I contacted them ten days ago for permission to do a four-day search using metal detectors and volunteers to try and locate additional evidence in the DB Cooper hijacking case. I thought I was just being ignored. Now this lady wants to waive the permit fee (almost $300) and just require a deposit for the gate key. (some roads on Weyerhauser land are gated with a lock) Turns out she's a local and a DB Cooper case fan.

I dunno...I deleted the WordPress article about the trip to Oregon. I'm sure Weyerhauser won't offer me this opportunity a second time. I have to go with it. The location of the campout would be about fifteen miles WSW of Castle Rock WA. You can see the exact location at this OTHER WordPress article. Anyone still interested is invited.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 04-19-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM   #57
XoXSciFiGuy

Note to SBJ: it is 120 miles from Corvallis to Castle Rock, WA...that's the access to the search site. Total for you maybe 140 each way. Just saying.

Note to Army Guy from Puyallup: For you, it's about 70 miles to Castle Rock. Another twenty to the campsite.

I checked this at the Distance Between Cities website.

Here is the absolutely LATEST information at WordPress on this gathering. Anyone considering going should read it.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #58
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

So it looks like the Oregon camping trip has turned into a Washington camping trip lol. I plan to attend. I have to say that's a pretty cool opportunity. You don't get an opportunity like that very often.

However, I am still on for a trip/get-together in Oregon. As of now I'm still planning to scout out the area near Cottage Grove and look for places to camp. I know some good spots off HWY 34 as well, but those are pretty far out of the way. I will probably go out there and camp next month, but again, it's a pretty long drive even though it's not that far from me as the crow flies. Pretty much everything in post#1 still applies. More to come...