Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Stomper

Vehicle: 1994 d21 ka24e automatic 2wd
Default Can't get the starter out 🤔

Hey guys new to this site hope i can find some good info here ☺️

So I got a 1994 d21 ka24e automatic 2wd only 88k km on her!! But starter just went on me. So anyways I got it Jacked up with the front passenger wheel off and splash guard off and managed to get the starter all disconnected and everything. but for the life of me I can't get it out of the little hole it's in. I found a video on YouTube, where buddy fishes it out through the back past a bunch of wires and hoses and he has the exact same model as me only manual . my problem trying to get it out that way is my transmission hard line is in the way and I can't get past it I spent a good hour or moree wiggling, turning and just fucking around. I had just taken of the brackets for the hard line to see if it will give any kind of give, when it got dark and to late for me to continue tonight. lol,. so if any one has any tips or another way to take it out I would love you long time!! Going to try again tomorrow now that the brackets are off and I'll have rest and a cool head lol

I had also thought maybe through the top so itook off the air intake manifold, but more hard lines that way!! Brakes this time.
Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

I have not had this problem. Usually they will drop out below. Do you have a big plastic splash guard under the oil pan? You could also try removing the cross member. It comes off and goes back on easily. Pull the battery, maybe even remove the oil filter and change the oil after you get the starter changed.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Stomper

Hey thanks for the reply.
That was what I had hoped, cause that's what all other people I could find who posted online said but they too all had manual transmissions so I'm wondering if the the lines for the manuals are placed differently and follow a different path from the automatics making it easier to slip by them. A pain in my places I don't want pain! I really wish they would have thought out the design for this engine better for servicing lol

No splash guard, didn't think about the cross member at the time I'll look into that tomorrow, oil I just replaced lol but might be another good option to investigate. Cool well a few more ideas too look into that might make it
easier since I also have to get the new in there still . It's nuckle scraper scnerio for sure, cheers

Last edited by Stomper; 05-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner
Thanked 1,027 Times in 932 Posts

You can take it out from the front also, unbolt the idler arm from the frame and wiggle it past the auto tran cooler lines and out the front.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
You can take it out from the front also, unbolt the idler arm from the frame and wiggle it past the auto tran cooler lines and out the front.
Yeah...that's right. Some of my advice forgot that it WAS an automatic. My apologies. I keep forgetting there are some automatics out there.

As far as a NEW starter when you get the old one out, you are far better off with Nissans NOT buying those cheapie rebuilt/allegedly *remanufactured* starters. This was discussed on another thread recently. The Chinese have basically cornered the market on buying up core starters and then 'fixing' them (yeah, right) and dumping them on the US market cheap. And they are mostly garbage. These guys will give you a 'lifetime' warranty and you will be returning a lot of them and going through the replacement process many times. I made a joke once that China-rebuilt starters make more trips across the Pacific Ocean than a US Navy carrier group. They don't care if you have to return them. They still make money.

You are far better off just coughing up the money for a new one, sticking that one in, and no more problems. Get one with the pigtail connector already attached, if it is supposed to have one.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Stomper (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

New starter's are not that expensive, On Rockauto they list a new one for $98, use the 5% discount code to save a little

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Thanked by:
Stomper (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Stomper

Cooler heads prevail.
Tryed it again today got it out right away through the bottom back!! Undoing the brackets on the transmission hardline did the trick the extra cm or so actually helped lol almost didn't think it would .thanks for the support everyone! As for the new starter with my schedule and budget ATM I had to go with a rebuild . I'm having trouble finding any info on the starter relay and where it's located if any of you know where it's located that would be awesome. I'm thinking maybe I should replace it to while I'm at it....

Last edited by Stomper; 05-03-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

relay is normally, just rear of the battery on the inner fender, it's a blue relay with a double plug.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I wouldn't replace it unless it's bad. And you can always jump it in a pinch if it ever does fail on you.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

This is the way it’s done:
1) take the passenger wheel off
2) access the connections to the starter from there
3) tilt the starter nose down and twist it until it clears the engine and crossmembers