Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
burn

Vehicle: 1990 hb kc
Default Removing cool air intake.

Id like to remove the cool air intake to have more room in engine compartment,to put air horn.has anyone done the removal and were there any negative effects
burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

I imagine it's a few screws and bolts. Downside lose a few hp in certain situations and sound will change a bit. Go for it
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

is the truck the V6 or 4 cylinder? On my 93 with the KA engine I swapped in the intake duct for a later model that doesn't use the resonator box, that gave me room to mount my large air horn. I also have a small dual horn ( both are made by Hadley) inside the pass. fender, can't see it when the inner fender liner is installed, pics of both below:

with original intake duct and resonator box:

with later intake duct with large air horn:

small air horn inside fender:

I have both horns off a tee fed from a 5 gallon air tank in my tool box in the bed, using a Harbor Freight compressor to fill the tank

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Foul_Mouth (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
burn

Exactly what i needed to see.its a 4 cylinder.did you notice any performance or gas mileage difference. Do the horns being inside make much of a difference in sound,
Old 04-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

The intake duct I used is a factory part from the 96-97 Hardbody with the KA engine, it is basically a OEM "cold air intake" as it pulls air straight from the opening in the inner fender so there is no negative to swapping the stock duct with resonator box for this one. I haven't noticed any difference in how the truck runs or any increase in the sound of the air being pulled into the engine.

As far as the sound of the horn, being under the hood or in the fender as I have mine does not effect the horns output at all, I'm sure if the horns were mounted outside say on the roof they may sound slightly louder but being the way I have them doesn't take away from the air horn sound.

Since I am running 2 horns and they are different, the dual horn being close to the solenoid, when I added the second horn, which is farther away, I made sure to use the same length of tubing that it took to reach the large horn on the smaller horn, I just coiled the extra tube up for the smaller horn.

The different horns, different sizes available for the larger horns will have different sounds. The large horn alone makes a deeper sound, the small horn is more high pitched.

, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

this is my solenoid setup, solenoid normally would be mounted on the tank, but I did not want to run power into the bed mounted box. Solenoid is from E-bay seller and I have had zero problems with it,

Black tube in front is supply from tank, small clear/white tubing runs to air gauge in the cab, black tubing left of the tee runs to small horn, black tubing top of tee runs to large horn

Air gauge ( and volt gauge) on dash in cab, the air gauge is crooked here because I was pressure testing the connection and it was not fully installed yet, it sits straight now:

Old 04-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
burn

Default Super brites

Delete this post