Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Psyphr

Vehicle: 1992 Nissan Pathfinder EX
Default 1992 Nissan Pathfinder V6 3000 cranks but won't start

Hi guys I'm generally new to this forum and hope I'm going to the right place.

I have a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder D21 Hardbody I just changed the valve cover gaskets on. After putting everything back together the engine will only crank and will not start.

During the gasket replacement I did remove the distributor and am thinking that may have caused it but I tried putting the rotor to spark on 1 and turned the crankshaft to the marked position but it still will not start.
Before the valve cover gaskets were replace the vehicle ran smoothly well as smooth a a 92 can. I'm open to all suggestions and the distributor cap and rotor as well as plugs and wires are all brand new.
Psyphr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Welcome to Infamous.

Pull one of the spark plug wires off a plug and check for spark, double check the distributor plug is in all the way.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
Psyphr

Hi and thank you for the welcome I just pulled the plug and yes there is spark also the distributor is plugged in and it is receiving electricity
Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #4
Psyphr

Update I'm running codes 13 and 21 before the work that was done I was running code 55 I found that 13 is for coolant temp sensor and found that code 21 is a ignition problem is it possible that removing the distributor either messed up my timing (which I thought I had fixed) or broke something else when I removed it?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,298 Posts

There are 2 times when that crankshaft mark lines up with 0. It lines up on the compression stroke and also on the exhaust stroke. You might have it lined up on the exhaust stroke. Remove the #1 spark plug and use your finger to make sure you feel compression building as the piston rises to TDC. If the compression is not pushing your finger out of the spark plug hole you are on the exhaust stroke. Once you're on the compression stroke at TDC then try to move the distributor to point to the #1 plug wire. Use a timing light to fine tune it. It THINK the timing on the VG30 is 15 degrees BTDC, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Psyphr

okay I lined it up with at TDC and set the rotor spark on plug #1 made sure everything was installed and... BAM nothing happened still only cranks it will crank forever though I'd rather not break starter.
Also I just got back from the AAP tested the starter and alternator all good. I tested the Ign. coil and it is reading the correct OHM so I'm going to say it is fine but I picked a new one up just in case.
The fuel pressure is fine so I'm taking it as the fuel pump/filter are fine. I was told when I purchased the vehicle the pump had just been replaced about 10k miles ago I'm assuming that includes the filter but just in case I picked one up(Though I can't use it until the engine starts)
the Air filter is Brand New so I know the air flow is fine.
so....
Spark - Check
Gas - Check
Air - Check
I have no clue where to go or check I know that the code 13 is to my coolant temperature sensor which I'm waiting on to come in and I'm not sure what part the code 21 could be referring to because it has to due with the ignition system. Is it possible that I tripped it during my testing and is so does it lock my engine?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:29 AM   #7
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,298 Posts

I would go back over the work you've done with a fine tooth comb. It is possible that a failure just suddenly appeared while you were doing the valve covers. But man, it's unlikely and would be one hell of a coincidence. I'd say it's more likely that something didn't get reconnected or was connected to the wrong spot. I've done valve cover gaskets on a 95 VG30 and there's a ton of stuff that gets removed and disconnected. It would be easy to overlook something.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #8
Psyphr

there are a few hoses I wasn't sure about it's just difficult to find manuals and pictures or even diagrams now. But I will go back through it tomorrow thanks you for the help but if anyone else has any ideas I haven't yet found the answer.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 AM   #9
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

If you pulled the distributor to do the valve cover gaskets there would be no need to have rotated the engine, so as long as you put the distributor back in the same way it came out, it should start and run.

Did you mark the position of the rotor before you removed the distributor?

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:52 AM   #10
Psyphr

Sadly I did not mark it as soon as I removed it I realized that and had been very careful not to move the gear and then Marked it at the gear. I'm guessing it was wrong and so have gone through and moved everthing manually to time it correct but cannot get it started.