Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
etx97xe

Vehicle: nissan pickup 97
Default 96-97

96-97 have odbII not odbI

I have a 97 4cyl automatic.
The good there the last year the truck was made. So most of the issues are fixed.

The bad the last 6 months or so of production they literally pulled parts from around the world to finish up the last hardbody trucks.

My 97 has a floor shifter that looks like it came from a sentra. But most i have seen have on the column shifter.

As far as the issue your having. Sounds like a mass air flow issue or idle speed control or electrical wiring that runs between the valve cover and the throttle body. That big-mass of wires with electrical tape covering it.
I had a idle issue and when you grabbed that wire harness it would get better.
Maybe a bad computer. But probably not.
Try to use a odb2 scanner see if it works.
etx97xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
fillpot

Vehicle: 1997 nissan hardbody

Thanks buddy but that is one of my problems, I've had two scanners and both will not log on, they work on everything else, one was a snap on and it's a fine one. THANKS!
fillpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #13
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Y’all

You’ll need to check to pins on the OBDII Data Port. Maybe they’re not fully connected, damaged or have bent pins.

When a code reader is connected to the port. Power is supplied to the scanner by the port. But if there isn’t any data presented on the scanner’s screen. You’ll need to check the pin outs to see if there’s an issue within the port or wire terminations.

And just for information, OBDI stopped in 1995, but has the red & green l.e.d.’s. 1996 and on, has the OBDII with the 16-pin data port for the code reader to connect up to.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #14
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
You’ll need to check to pins on the OBDII Data Port. Maybe they’re not fully connected, damaged or have bent pins.

When a code reader is connected to the port. Power is supplied to the scanner by the port. But if there isn’t any data presented on the scanner’s screen. You’ll need to check the pin outs to see if there’s an issue within the port or wire terminations.

And just for information, OBDI stopped in 1995, but has the red & green l.e.d.’s. 1996 and on, has the OBDII with the 16-pin data port for the code reader to connect up to.
On some of the 96-97s, you have to hold the scanner connector by hand, tighter...into the scanner connector on the truck. Push a little more firmly and hold it there. Then it will connect sometimes. I have heard this from a couple of late model owners.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #15
fillpot

Thanks guys going to mess with it this afternoon
Old 09-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #16
fillpot

Hey guy's finally getting back around to the truck, can ya'll tell me what the little silver deal with two wires that is bolted to the bottom of the air filter housing is, both wires are broke, probably doesn't matter much but just bothers me lol, hope this makes since, btw still cant get the scanner to log on, looks like it's going to be the hard way. THANKS!
Old 09-04-2021, 02:29 AM   #17
diosmuertos
diosmuertos

Vehicle: 1988 D21 VG30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillpot View Post
Hey guy's finally getting back around to the truck, can ya'll tell me what the little silver deal with two wires that is bolted to the bottom of the air filter housing is, both wires are broke, probably doesn't matter much but just bothers me lol, hope this makes since, btw still cant get the scanner to log on, looks like it's going to be the hard way. THANKS!
that's the intake air temp sensor. It'll run super rough without it. I've been fine with the cheapo replacements from Rockauto
diosmuertos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:31 AM   #18
fillpot

Good deal thanks, you think this could have any thing to do with the mass air killing the engine when I plug it in
Old 09-04-2021, 05:54 AM   #19
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Y’all

If you do the continuity test on the Air Intake Temperature sensor. The test will tell you if the component is good or not. I inadvertently removed the air cleaner housing many years ago and didn’t know it was mounted on the underside of the housing and broke both wires. I soldered them back together and it has worked since that repair was done in 1998/1999.

Looking at the schematic for the Engine Control components. The IAT doesn’t appear to affect the MAF sensor, at least directly. I feel it has an affect on engine performance. But the description of the IAT states that the IAT is for “Onboard Diagnostics” only. If the circuit of the component is closed(good part). There’s no effect on engine performance. Open circuit(bad component) affects engine performance.

Last edited by PorknBeans; 09-04-2021 at 06:00 AM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:41 PM   #20
fillpot

Ok good deal, thanks buddy!