Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Hoseman1958
Reggie

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan D21 4x4 2.4L
Default Brake Line Kit

I was pulling into Kroger yesterday and when I braked to pull into my parking spot, the brake pedal went to the floor. Brakes were weak but would work by mashing the pedal....so I limped home. I got under the truck and see that there is pretty good leak in the brake line on the rear passenger side.

I don't drive the truck very much and would like to see if one of those universal brake line kits would be suitable for splicing in a piece of new line to fix the leak, and one other spot that I see is rusted out. I have a flaring tool, but do not have a pipe cutter or bender. Any advice on the trying this; and any hints on how to do it would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Reggie
Hoseman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

No feedback on the brake line kits, haven't tried any of them. I've used tube benders and cutters in the past, they're pretty easy to get the hang of. I know you use to be able to buy lengths of metal brake line from the auto parts stores so you could make your own. Not sure if you still can.

Since you don't drive the truck that often, you might try to find a used, replacement. Local junk yard? A member here, david29, has many replacement parts and he's from Texas so the parts should be rust free.

VOTS
VOTS95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

You should be able to make a replacement brake line pretty easily. Most auto parts stores will sell them. A word to the wise: you'll want to buy lines specified for japanese vehicles, otherwise the fittings won't thread in and you'll need some impossible combination of adapters to make it work (ask me how I know). O'Reilly's or NAPA should have them. If you can, try and remove the line in one piece and mock up the new one next to it with it out of the truck.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Hoseman1958 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Hoseman1958
Reggie

Default Splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
You should be able to make a replacement brake line pretty easily. Most auto parts stores will sell them. A word to the wise: you'll want to buy lines specified for japanese vehicles, otherwise the fittings won't thread in and you'll need some impossible combination of adapters to make it work (ask me how I know). O'Reilly's or NAPA should have them. If you can, try and remove the line in one piece and mock up the new one next to it with it out of the truck.
SBJ - in my vehicle, the brake line from actuator to rear passenger wheel looks like it will require removal of the gas tank to replace. I called NAPA to see if they had the correct brake line and couplings to fit my vehicle. They insist that they do .but that I need to bring a piece of the line in. The bad spot in this line is in the only place that is comparatively accessible with hand tools. I think I can cut it, and flare the end that "stays" from under the vehicle. Also, there is no other rust evident anywhere else along the line. Do you have any other advice before I cut the bad piece out and take it to NAPA? The connection to the braided line is pretty rusted out (the only place.) I sprayed it with PB and am thinking about trying turn the bad section off of the braid. Any additional advice before I attempt a "splice" using brake line and couplings that NAPA says they can provide?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Hoseman1958
Reggie

OK, that's the 2nd time I heard that Japanese Brake lines might not be the "standard" 3/16" OD SAE lines that are in these kits. I'm going to make a visit to O'Reilly's or NAPA. Thanks for the warning SBJ!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

If you have to cut that section out, a tube flaring kit and a brake line coupler should do the trick.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Hmm... I'll have to look under the truck when I get home. I've never had to mess with that line before. If you can cut it and make a new piece of line I think that would work fine. You'll need a coupler (union fitting?) to join the two lines together.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
johnber
grouchy old man

Vehicle: 89 4X base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseman1958 View Post
I was pulling into Kroger yesterday and when I braked to pull into my parking spot, the brake pedal went to the floor. Brakes were weak but would work by mashing the pedal....so I limped home. I got under the truck and see that there is pretty good leak in the brake line on the rear passenger side.

I don't drive the truck very much and would like to see if one of those universal brake line kits would be suitable for splicing in a piece of new line to fix the leak, and one other spot that I see is rusted out. I have a flaring tool, but do not have a pipe cutter or bender. Any advice on the trying this; and any hints on how to do it would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Reggie
just measure and buy a new one, bend it your self. they are out there. if the line split there it could split up or down,REPLACE it from end to end! for everyone's safety.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
johnber
grouchy old man

Vehicle: 89 4X base

oh...if yer not used to a double flare operation the flare might leak also. just buy a line the length you need and bend it.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

I just crawled under there and had a look. You're talking about the line that runs in between the fuel tank and the frame, correct? It doesn't look like you need to remove the tank to get it out, there's probably room to get it out. Those plastic brackets that hold it to the frame are going to be brittle, though. Maybe spray them with some PB blaster or something before you start.