Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #51
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,031 Times in 907 Posts

When all else fails, you can drive it to the Nissan dealership.

Their work won't be 2000 bucks. Often when you bring it in, they can tell you what is wrong and ask if you want them to do the work or do it yourself (at least mine here does that). If I elect to do it myself or take it somewhere, I can even get them to print out the parts list for me.

I think that means they really don't want to work on it. lol
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #52
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,214 Posts

What do your battery terminals look like? Try disconnecting and cleaning the terminals, all the connection points on the ground, and the connections on the starter. Now that you’ve got the timing right I think we’re looking at how we supply power to the starter
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #53
Mycarsarejunk

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan D21 Base

No you're right about the not being 2000. It would be well over that for the work thats been done. They wanted 1400 just for the head gasket job lol not including the timing chain, chain guides, water pump, starter, valve stem seals, all new seal and gaskets throughout the entire engine, o2 sensors, temp sensor, etc. My list goes on and on with this thing. They've been very helpful for printing off schematics that tell me exact part names but that's about it lol our Nissan dealership isn't even half a year old and most of the techs there have just got out of school and have no experience with anything unless they can hook up a code reader and find the problem lol I've already checked the cables. They are great. I even jumped both terminals with jumper cables. changed coolant temperature sensor so the ecm don't think my engine is hot preventing from starting warm, checked the timing, checked the cables, tps sensor, and pretty much everything else except for the distributor. I've just never heard of a distributor preventing a car from starting up when hot. Will post an update as soon as I try a new distributor. Thanks for the help!
Mycarsarejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #54
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,031 Times in 907 Posts

There could be a plastic piece that isn't working right whenever it gets hot.

I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnber View Post
thinking the heat soaked starter is your best bid. hot electrics always act up.
And, johnber doesn't say much, but usually he is on the money.

Me? Not a Mechanic. QED.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #55
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Okay, I will suggest something else on this starter. When you bought it...did it already have a new pigtail installed? (The electrical connector that is actually attached to the starter.)

If you bought an aftermarket starter without a new pigtail on it already...that could be your problem. Every damn time I've bought an aftermarket starter for a Nissan hardbody that did NOT have the pigtail already on it...that starter was junk from Day One unless it was from a high-end manufacturer. Half the time the interior components were sloppily done, dragged, or had other problems. Aftermarket starters for these hardbodies are famous for being crap out of the box if they are cheapies, or lower end (see China) manufacturers. The China ones WITH the new pigtail installed are usually okay. You WANT a new pigtail on these. The ones they sell you where you have to provide your own pigtail from your old starter are very poorly built. Unless, like I said, it's a real high end manufacturer.

Just saying. Brother...I been down that road a couple of times.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote