Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Yup, can't even relocate the lights properly on the 86.5.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
JobewanKenobi

Vehicle: 1996 D2 4x4

I am lucky... between our local makerspace(where I teach CNC) and our fiber laser and pressbrake... I can pretty much fabricate anything I need/want.
JobewanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #13
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Wish I had access to CNC. Got access to just about everything else including 3D printers and mills though. And all the exotic materials.
VG33i
Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 AM   #14
JobewanKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Wish I had access to CNC. Got access to just about everything else including 3D printers and mills though. And all the exotic materials.
We have a fiber laser that can cut plate steel, a Haas V2 Multi-axis Mill, a Computerized press brake. Full scale pick and place for making our own circuit boards.

Then our maker space has 6 CO2 laser cutters, a 4x8 cnc router, and about 15 3d printers.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:08 AM   #15
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

We do all manual machining at work. I'm trying to convince them to buy a 3D printer right now. I've got 2 at home. One of my buddies is a distributor for some brand or another and builds massive ones, 24"x24"x24" build windows. Another buddy of mine has one big enough to print house doors where he works. Work is talking about a CNC but machining is just a by product of what we do and not our money maker. Machining just costs us money and it's for in house only.

I'm learning from our master machinist. He started by making firearms as a kid and now does the seemingly impossible. Dude threads 00-120 holes on a Bridgeport like it's nothing. I still don't like anything smaller than a 8-32 on the mill. 95% or better of the equipment we use is in house machined and designed.

The usual stuff we work with is titanium and incolonel along with steel and aluminum. Then the occasional plastic and fiber reinforced polymer. I tend to enjoy Hydlon Z. It machines really nice and extremely abrasion resistant.
VG33i
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
We do all manual machining at work. I'm trying to convince them to buy a 3D printer right now. I've got 2 at home. One of my buddies is a distributor for some brand or another and builds massive ones, 24"x24"x24" build windows. Another buddy of mine has one big enough to print house doors where he works. Work is talking about a CNC but machining is just a by product of what we do and not our money maker. Machining just costs us money and it's for in house only.

I'm learning from our master machinist. He started by making firearms as a kid and now does the seemingly impossible. Dude threads 00-120 holes on a Bridgeport like it's nothing. I still don't like anything smaller than a 8-32 on the mill. 95% or better of the equipment we use is in house machined and designed.

The usual stuff we work with is titanium and incolonel along with steel and aluminum. Then the occasional plastic and fiber reinforced polymer. I tend to enjoy Hydlon Z. It machines really nice and extremely abrasion resistant.
You may want to consider going into the 'Not too big or complicated Nissan classic part business', offering up a few hard to find parts for Nissans on eBay. Maybe recruit some suggestions first on smaller parts that no one can find anymore, but aren't that difficult to recreate.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

I've been wanting to build a 3D scanner. It's hard enough to have some free time or print my own stuff with everyone time on my printer. One prints really good but the other kinda prints like crap. Working on trying to get the other one set up properly.
VG33i
Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
JobewanKenobi

I'm still in Dallas. Ups date for front end parts delivery is tomorrow. Think I've decided to do the work at my job using jack stands and a jack since it's all indoor with ac.

Machining fascinates me. It's a rabbit hole I probably do not want to fall down with all the access I have to equipment. That being said, I will fabricate some small improvements as I come across them.

3d printer... I built a delta style from a kit.. Has great vertical but only about 8 inch X and Y. As for a scanner... Have you seen the scanners that folks were making from a used Xbox connect... From what I understand it is fairly easy.

Will post this weekend once the parts arrive.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 AM   #19
JobewanKenobi

Worked all weekend on her... used a lift.. But no AC and it was hot as balls... Pulled everything off her....getting the hubs separated from the rotors was a pain. The lift for the front is supposedly provided by the rough country upper control arms. We had a press...so that part was easy. Once we separated the rotors from the hubs... totally cleaned out the hubs and then repacked everything in fresh grease.reattached to new rotors.. Got the upper lower and lower ball joints installed... Getting the Hubs back on was a 2 man job... but we figured it out by the second one. Grease fittings were a pain. Got the new brake pads on and everything greased up. Lowered her down and.......

It didn't even look like she had lift in the front... Same height..... took an impact to the torsion bar adjustment bolt... and she Still looks the same from when we started.

Took her for a drive... Brakes evenly... Steering is nice and tight... Drives fairly straight considering no alignment yet..Shocks feel good(considering the Torsion bar is evidently maxed out) Will get new tires/Wheels this week and get an alignment...

My question is this(I have watched Youtube videos and searched here....)

I can't seem to get a good idea on how to reindex the torsion bars... Can't you unload the bars... disconnect it ... pull it out and rotate is a few splines.. put it back in.. and now you can adjust it from Non load to bring the front end up a few inches? I am totally lost and need to figure this out before I try to stuff the larger tires under there.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

BEFORE

[IMG]

AFTER(I do not see a difference......

[IMG]
Old 08-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #20
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,088 Times in 959 Posts

Could be that the torsion bars are wore out.

They are springs, so they could have stretched.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote