Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 02-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Cosmicblue

Vehicle: '87 4wd Pathfinder
Default Rough idle problem

My 87 is in rough shape, and has been for awhile. It never fails that something will fail given a little time. So far I've replaced steering components, suspension (ball joints and bushings (upper/strut)), brakes, diagnosed lighting problems, and had the tranny replaced. So now it makes sense to fix the engine.The Story: The other day driving to school (a 15 min. drive) the engine started sputtering, wanting to die and general rough idling, shaking the cab. I'm used to this on really cold days before the engine is warm, but not at the 10 minute mark. I pulled over to the side of the road, popped the hood to check for anything with my untrained eyes and noticed nothing. I started it up again and it acted like it would idle right, surging and vibrating as it was. Got it to a parking lot and checked fluids, they were all good. Pulled it home the next day, and it din't want to idle at all I pulled the seat and checked trouble codes, only getting 1 red 3 green (I checked at least three times). 13 is for the "Engine Coolant Temp. circuit," which I already knew about, what with the gauge having never worked. As far as I understand the thermostat should be working fine, the previous week showed no signs, nor the ten minutes it was working the day it started. My dad's Jeep always had overheating problems but with obvious symptoms that I don't and never have on mine. Any suggestions? BTW I pulled the air intake housing off and checked hoses, didn't hear or see anything.

Last edited by Cosmicblue; 02-07-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling, emphasizing context
Cosmicblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

if it is a V6, I would check the air intake hose from the airflow meter to the throttle chamber for cracks
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Cosmicblue (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Cosmicblue

's i4 but I'll check again any way, thanks
Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
YEPEE

check hoses for cracks, vacuum leaks, on a cold engine you could use something like carb cleaner to check for leaks,(engine will speed up). Maybe someone can suggest something a little less volatile to use...
Thanked by:
Cosmicblue (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

The coolant temp fault is for the ecu, not the guage. Fix that, as it has an effect on timing. Also when was the fuel filter last replaced?
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Cosmicblue (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
Cosmicblue

91nissan94: fuel filter replaced a few months ago, wouldn't hurt to get a new one though.
Didn't think about the problems that having the gauge and sensor on the same line would cause, silly me. Thanks
Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
TruckWontDie
Banned

Vehicle: 1987 D21 SE King Cab 4x4
Default Hope you figure it out

If you've already checked you vacuum lines...maybe replace MAF,TPS, or CAS. My truck use to spudder until I replaced them. Your MAF,CAS, and TPS may not throw a code if it is still operating within its parameters. Good luck. Be careful if you remove your MAF. Never touch the wires with anything because autozone wants $572 for OEM. The MAF is part of the throttle-body not the intake hose. If you take your air filter off its on the driver side of the throttle-body with 3 bolts. You could try cleaning it. Hope that helps. Another thing is some of the older codes are different than newer codes

Last edited by TruckWontDie; 02-08-2018 at 07:39 PM.
TruckWontDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
Kittyclaw

Vehicle: 1990 D21 4x4

My 90 had a similar problem. it ended up being a loose connection from the injectors into the harness. While its idling if you jiggle the harness behind the motor and the idle changes then that could be the problem. Its super easy to fix with a little bit of solder if that ends up being the problem.
Kittyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Cosmicblue

Been a while bc of work/school, but here's the few things I've done and I think I figured it out.
- Replaced the ECT sensor, hard to get to btw, but didn't fix it
- Replaced spark plugs just to be safe, relatively cheap and easy to replace, didn't fix it
-- Found out that it was a timing problem. Pulled the radiator and cooling fan, matched the notch on the crankshaft pulley with 0 (TDC), pulled the distributor cap off and found the rotor was shifted towards the next plug (E4 I think).
- Used a timing gun as well and proved this theory again when my marks where shifted ~20-30 degrees toward the driver side.
Already bought the timing chain and will update once I've installed it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
YEPEE

how many miles? was the dist tight? maybe it rotated on you??