Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Suspension

Old 10-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #21
Zfische
Fish

Vehicle: 1995

Finished the shocks today. Truck feels like brand new.
Zfische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #22
amdilligaf1

Vehicle: 1997 D21 RC KA24 HF35 KH3 K 2WD 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfische View Post
I have determined that my leaf springs are as flat as pancakes. They are almost bending backwards, lol.

So here is the question. Do i need to replace the leaf springs? Or, will that helper spring be fine.

If I need to replace, do i have to go new? Or, would a pair of leaf springs from a salvage yard be fine?

Hopefully shocks are arriving today, and can start on those this afternoon!
if they are as flat as you say, replacements may be the way to go, i am sure the new shocks will help it some, though.

i have seen lots of decent leaf spring sets lately at the pick and pulls.

maybe try get a set from a nicer or later model hardbody. it would be a lot cheaper than new aftermarkets.

does anyone know if 98-02 frontier leafs are a match?
i bet David29 would know.

i pulled some parts yesterday from a 97 2wd x-cab, with good leafs.
she was clean as a pin and only had a little front end damage, but was totaled by the insurance company. only needed a radiator ,radiator support, fender, hood, headlight, and grill. the fan and front suspension were fine.
such a waste.

i could tell by looking at the bed it had probably never been worked hard. might've hauled groceries or a christmas tree, if that.

here is just a little reminder for everyone no matter the brand, i sure needed it !!

http://gabriel.com/wp-content/upload...stallation.pdf

also, "ATTABOY" on your shocks going in smoothly. you might have bought some time to locate a good set of leafs.
how long did it take you? any hints to pass along?
Old 10-11-2020, 11:02 PM   #23
Zfische
Fish

Haha...Well the front passenger shock took about 30 minutes. Could have been 15 but I had a dumb ass moment. When I was getting ready to install the shock, I cut the strap that was keeping the shock compressed. I was expecting it to expand, but it didnt. Lol, so my smart ass tried to pull it and it went! Was a pain getting it compressed again and into the spot.

THEN, I realized I put the wrong washers on the top of the shock in the wrong order. Out of the three washers for the top, one of them was different and I didnt realize it was for the bottom part of the bracket. So i had to decompress the shock AGAIN and put the washers in the right spots. Not too bad.

The Driver side took about 15 minutes after I learned my lessons.

Back shocks were even easier. They took about 10 minutes each. Longest part was getting the tools out and playing with the jack and jack stands.

I did spray everything two days prior with PB blaster. Then again this morning, a few hours before I started. Then again when I was doing the job. Every nut and bolt on every shock came off like butter. Thanks again for everyones advice on it.

The bushings for the leaf springs are coming this week, so ill start researching the work for the job. I found a salvage yard near by with tons of hard body leaf springs it looks like. Hopefully I can find a decent pair.

Last edited by Zfische; 10-12-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Thanked by:
amdilligaf1 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #24
Zfische
Fish

Got myself a pair of leaf springs in good condition at a wrecking yard for 100 bucks. So guess ill do leaf springs and bushings next week! Any tips on leaf spring replacements would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #25
Zfische
Fish

Alright. I got the leaf springs. Really nice set actually. I got the old bushings out and am going to get ready to do the leaf spring replacement. Question I have:I bought the red bushing set. Wondering how I should grease everything when I do the job. Do I just grease every bushing and bolt inside and out? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #26
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default Make her greasy so it will go down easy...

Quote:
Alright. I got the leaf springs. Really nice set actually. I got the old bushings out and am going to get ready to do the leaf spring replacement. Question I have:I bought the red bushing set. Wondering how I should grease everything when I do the job. Do I just grease every bushing and bolt inside and out? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
How to grease? In a word- GENEROUSLY. Silicone grease, inside and out. In this case, if a little is good, alot is GOODER. You might buy a couple cheap cans of flat or semi gloss black paint to spray around your (truck's) underside while you are down there. Be safe! If you look close you will see I accent painted (red) the bolt "head" at the front bracket.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #27
Zfische
Fish

Okay, i think i understand on the grease.

I will try and be careful. I have read many of the threads on here, and watched videos and am still a little confused about how to get the truck set up to remove the springs. I have not started, but right now, I have one side of the truck on a jack stand (on the frame) and the jack under the axel on the side im working on. Tire is off. Does this sound correct to anyone? Or am i about to hurt myself?

Last edited by Zfische; 10-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #28
Zfische
Fish

Got the new leaf springs and bushings in! Trucks feels great. Only one big mess up. I broke off a damn lug nut take one of the back tires off!! Is this an easy fix?? Thank you!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #29
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Quote:
Got the new leaf springs and bushings in! Trucks feels great. Only one big mess up. I broke off a damn lug nut take one of the back tires off!! Is this an easy fix?? Thank you!
No problem on the rear. Once you have the brake drum off, that is. Quoting "Reserector" "There are two threaded holes in the drum, near the hub. Clean those out, and thread in a couple of 8mm bolts that fit the threads. Tighten those a little at a time, while alternating from one to the other. That should press the drum off of the hub." Thanks Res. I do not know which thread pitch or length of 8mm bolts to buy, so get 1.25 AND 1.50 pitch,2 each, with threads that go at least 3 inches up the bolts. Let us know which pitch fits. The lug and lugnut will be 12mm x 1.25 RH. Buy a couple lugs and nuts to keep in the tool box. Smack the old one out, push the new lug back in. Tightening a lug nut on it will press it into place.
Don't consider this as "a big mess up", rather view this as a great opportunity to inspect your rear brakes.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #30
Zfische
Fish

Awesome! Sounds like an easy fix. And you are right, maybe not a big mess up. Just another thing to learn how to do! Picking up the stud later today. If I have the energy, i may give it a shot tonight.

Update: Went to put the truck on a jack and take the drum off. It didnt have any holes for the 8mm bolts to pull it off so i just shoo it and it slid right off! Haha! Lug Stud came right out! I love this truck!

Last edited by Zfische; 10-18-2020 at 10:53 PM.