Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 10-17-2020, 12:36 PM   #11
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

So...you plan to pay them $1000CAD for parts and labor, after YOU removed it and delivered it. Then YOU will re-install? This will help you with traction in the snow? Perhaps I am missing some piece of information?
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #12
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

ive seen this years ago. it was popular as a poor mans LSD in hondas for years. its a device that tries to put pressure on the spider gears to simulate an LSD, more like a torsen style where it allows back drive and doesnt use clutch plates (can cause chatter if not maintained....but over a lifetime not like a short use duration). I never was convinced that it worked well in situations where you wanted an LSD type action snow, dirt, sloppy weather etc. I get it if you want it for "performance" but for a grand id pass and look for a legit used factory LSD.

One thing i never quite understood is what sucks up the wear between the gears and this insert-block? the surfaces of the gears and the block are bearing the motion now so i dont quite get it. One of those surfaces has to wear and the face of the gears vs the locker are grinding against one another to create friction (grip) so which surface wears and wheres the chaff go?
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29 AM   #13
nissanlimpinsr20

Vehicle: Nissan P/U 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
So...you plan to pay them $1000CAD for parts and labor, after YOU removed it and delivered it. Then YOU will re-install? This will help you with traction in the snow? Perhaps I am missing some piece of information?
Yes indeed traction, no snow involved. If I haven't had done all the work myself, it wouldn't have been done right the way I intended it... my truck isn't a masterpiece, but its my masterpiece. Haha, I don't have a press for the axel bearings either, other $200CAD. I also have no confidence in tearing apart the 3rd member. 93' sr20det installed 2003 stock, custom tune @ 7lbs boost, 1 tire fire for way to many years. 14.6sec @93MPH 1/4 mile. Insufficient traction. So warranty is a must haha! Northern living at its most expensive too. We get a northern living allowance from the gov't come tax season. Usually around $3-4k. Everything up here costs 2'ce as much as southern living. I think McDonald's starting wage is even around $16-18/hr
I found a factory LSD out of the states. $1400USD. Yea its prob better, yea duties are significantly higher. Shipped to my door, plus have the pro's install.. should justify my decision in the spring loaded PB and J lunchbox LSD. I'm also curious as to longevity/servicing/additive. Probably service it as I do oil changes to be sure of it wear factor. I would love to do 1 of a few factory rear LSD diff swaps as well. Again, no welder, no ambition to line it up perfect etc. I already have the custom driveshaft to fit to the sr's stub shaft. That's a whole other story where I took the driveshaft (rear u-joint play, and center support bearing rubber surround blown to bits) into a different drivetrain shop in town, asked for a 1 piece aluminum balanced shaft, came back the next day with the all the measurements, and they had replaced the u-joint and center bearing. Didn't even fackin balance it like I asked, if last resort they couldn't manufacture a 1 piece. So I'm into this refurbish project for more than I'd like now haha...
nissanlimpinsr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #14
nissanlimpinsr20

For your viewing pleasure, if your into dragging hardbody's

https://youtu.be/RGyVVcMcGKw
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #15
nissanlimpinsr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
ive seen this years ago. it was popular as a poor mans LSD in hondas for years. its a device that tries to put pressure on the spider gears to simulate an LSD, more like a torsen style where it allows back drive and doesnt use clutch plates (can cause chatter if not maintained....but over a lifetime not like a short use duration). I never was convinced that it worked well in situations where you wanted an LSD type action snow, dirt, sloppy weather etc. I get it if you want it for "performance" but for a grand id pass and look for a legit used factory LSD.

One thing i never quite understood is what sucks up the wear between the gears and this insert-block? the surfaces of the gears and the block are bearing the motion now so i dont quite get it. One of those surfaces has to wear and the face of the gears vs the locker are grinding against one another to create friction (grip) so which surface wears and wheres the chaff go?
Good ol' oil analysis should tell. $35 I believe. Curious as well. Everywhere I've read, cannot find a locker for H190's. Maybe one day down the road when the kids are older I'll exercise upgrading the whole rear housing axel assembly, 4 link, etc.