Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
Importfanboy

Vehicle: 93 Nissan D21
Default Topper question

Has anyone seen/have any info on this topper? Found it on Facebook marketplace and am debating on snagging it. Not quite what Iím looking for, but hey itís local and $300. Just canít find anything about a Leonard topper anywhere. It looks pretty neat and has some 80s/90s vibes to it.
Importfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
Importfanboy

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0401579857358/

Tried adding the pics but didn’t seem to work

Last edited by jp2code; 11-23-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,442 Times in 1,269 Posts

You will need to have him measure it exactly down to the quarter inch. The regular cab and extended cab Hardbodys have slightly different size beds (I think it's like 1-inch difference).
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Importfanboy (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #4
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

Correct, the KC bed is about an inch longer than the regular cab bed.
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,258 Times in 1,149 Posts

cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 02:11 AM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Not counting the lift door in the rear, it still looks longer than six feet. The name 'Leonard' may just be the name of the company that sold it, not the one who made it. I see there is a second name on it, more like a badge from the manufacturer. Need to see what that says. Hard to tell, but that other Facebook picture...it looks as if it has a double slider window in the front.

Tell you one thing, though. Clean and polish that thing up, it's going to be worth more than 300 bucks, I can guarantee that. I might get it just on that alone. It's a very unique design and I have not seen many even close to that design. Pick it up. Worry later. Clean it up good. Maybe add some LED lighting down the sides, along the top. Red toward the rear, yellow up forward, like I did to the truck in the picture below. Hook the wiring directly into your rear side marker light circuits at the taillight assembly. Replace the screening in the slider windows and lube up the tracks. Sell it if it doesn't fit...for eight hundred bucks, maybe seven. Maybe more. Ever priced good canopies sitting at those canopy shops? They ain't cheap.

All of that work is a lot easier to do when the canopy is on the ground, too. If it fits your truck, you can do the final wiring into the rear side markers then. If it doesn't fit, you can sell it easy.

Leonard is probably Leonard Truck Accessories. Been around since 1963. They are a distributor and do all kinds of stuff. Small buildings, canopies for trucks mostly by Leer although they do other brands, etc. Spray in bedliners, tons of stuff. Some suggestions below. The minimum fit is on the black seal. If the first rear section fits too, so much the better. But it can be mounted on just the seal area with the two small parts in the rear hanging over. Would be nice if ONLY the door hung over, but...can't say if it will yet. Can you imagine this thing all cleaned and shined up inside and out with lighting though, and new bug screening, windows that slide easy? You could get a lot of money for it. And...don't forget to measure the WIDTH of the canopy as well. On width, you will generally have an inch either way to play with when mounting. Just make sure anything you do for the front slider windows gets done before mounting. Afterward, you won't be able to reach in between very well.

Ah ha! I researched out the badge on the canopy. I knew I had seen that design before. It's a Glasstite topper logo. Gemtop thing. This one is a heavy-duty one. The cheapies in the same brand, around six foot, go for about 500 used, but that one in the picture is not a cheapie. EDIT: The part I named 'First Rear Section' is probably the part that sits on the tailgate. Only the door hangs out the back. Pretty sure on that. If the owner does not have a key to the lock, or the door will not stay up on its own, offer him less. The hydraulic rods are about fifteen bucks each and you should replace them in pairs. Another lock with keys (they are pretty universal and easy to switch out, like a lock on an apartment mailbox) are about twenty bucks. If you are going to mount a canopy, you MUST be able to lock it up. Trust me on this. You say in your profile your favorite color is WHITE. Hope that means your truck is white. A white HB with that canopy on it would look sharp.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-23-2020 at 03:10 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Importfanboy

A lot of info to take in at once, haha. Thank you a ton! I am going to message them today and see what exactly it was on, I'm hoping an 86.5 Nissan and not 86 720. I have only seen one other hardbody specific topper locally. (And that would've been a 4 hr round trip)
Unfortunately, my hardbody is black, but may be white someday. As far as width, should I be trying to get something as close to the 59.8in or 65in that is in the picture cadillacdude posted? I am assuming 65 is total width compared to inside bed width. Sorry for noob questions, I am still new to the truck world. I'm learning!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
amdilligaf1
i usually don't talk much

Vehicle: 1997 D21 RC 2WD KA24 5MT HF35 KH3 K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importfanboy View Post
I have only seen one other hardbody specific topper locally. (And that would've been a 4 hr round trip)

in the picture cadillacdude posted...
I am assuming 65" is total width compared to inside bed width.
65" is what you want.

like SciFi said, that shell is a real good one, very sturdy.

you can always measure your truck bed, outside to outside, and front to back, and have them measure the cap.

make sure the mounting clamps are included, or bring your own, or small c-clamps or c- jawed vise grip pliers to get it home. tighten them good!

hardbody specific caps are kinda hard to find, being 23-33 year old trucks.

a 4 hour trip can be enjoyable in these trucks. just leave a little early, pick a favorite pandora station, avoid rush hour, maybe pack a lunch and something to drink, or search for a little hole in the wall restaurant along your route.

i have a frontier cover on my hardbody, it's about 3 inches longer than my bed, but i am happy with it.

i just moved the locking arms 3 inches inward, they used to fall right on top of the tailgate.

i drove 1-1/2 hours, one way to get it, no regrets. a dry bed is a happy bed.
Thanked by:
Importfanboy (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KingCab SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
<<<snip>>>

Ah ha! I researched out the badge on the canopy. I knew I had seen that design before. It's a Glasstite topper logo. Gemtop thing. This one is a heavy-duty one. The cheapies in the same brand, around six foot, go for about 500 used, but that one in the picture is not a cheapie. EDIT: The part I named 'First Rear Section' is probably the part that sits on the tailgate. Only the door hangs out the back. Pretty sure on that. If the owner does not have a key to the lock, or the door will not stay up on its own, offer him less. The hydraulic rods are about fifteen bucks each and you should replace them in pairs. Another lock with keys (they are pretty universal and easy to switch out, like a lock on an apartment mailbox) are about twenty bucks. If you are going to mount a canopy, you MUST be able to lock it up. Trust me on this. You say in your profile your favorite color is WHITE. Hope that means your truck is white. A white HB with that canopy on it would look sharp.

https://i.imgur.com/cK9NcaT.jpg
Yep, I picked up one of these, it was free, but I've never run a topper on my 89'. We use it as a "topper" for a chicken coop! (lol)

Wish I'd have seen this earlier, I would have confirmed (or posted) the above. Mine also says "Glasstite". Mine is missing the front glass. Nothing there.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Importfanboy (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:47 PM   #10
Importfanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdilligaf1 View Post
i have a frontier cover on my hardbody, it's about 3 inches longer than my bed, but i am happy with it.
I have been keeping an eye out for frontier ones as well, and they pop up a little more often here. I will say trying to find a topper for a Japanese truck in general sucks, Michigan is all about the big three without a doubt.

I got left on read yesterday after messaging them, but I will try again and maybe see where my luck goes. Thank you as well!