Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Interior & Audio/Video

Old 08-29-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
Tetsuichi

Vehicle: 1991 d21
Question Head unit trouble

Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble wiring a new sony head unit on my 1991 king cab. Basically the head unit powers up, everything functions as it should, except I get no sound. I then went back and reconnected the factory clarion unit, and it works fine. Been fighting with this for a few hours and I am at a loss, I am wondering if the headunit is bust.

I've attached a diagram of a few configurations that I have tried. The factory headunit has a blue wire as opposed to the blue/white wire on my new sony, I am not sure if the problem lies there somewhere. I don't really know what to hook the blue white wire to. All my fuses are good including the little one on the back of the sony unit. Like I said, the sony powers up fine, and the clarion unit functions fine including the sound.

https://i.imgur.com/dAF2owN.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (80.3 KB, 10 views)
Tetsuichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

the blue wire should be a power antenna/amp tripper wire. and have you plugged the antenna in on the new unit while testing? the radio systems in these trucks were designed a bit different. part of the grounding lies with the antenna connector.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
Tetsuichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
the blue wire should be a power antenna/amp tripper wire. and have you plugged the antenna in on the new unit while testing? the radio systems in these trucks were designed a bit different. part of the grounding lies with the antenna connector.
Oh yeah, I have the actual antenna plugged in as well. forgot to draw that in.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:58 AM   #4
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

ground from the Sony should go to metal near the radio, I would not use just the antenna as the ground.
also there is no ground in the factory radio plug.
As long as you have the red and yellow and ground connected, with the speaker wires it should work, make sure the fader is in the correct position.

Some Sony radios have a switch on the outside to turn off or on the internal amplifier.

The blue wire on the Sony should not be connected unless you are using an external amplifier (s)

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Tetsuichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
ground from the Sony should go to metal near the radio, I would not use just the antenna as the ground.
also there is no ground in the factory radio plug.
As long as you have the red and yellow and ground connected, with the speaker wires it should work, make sure the fader is in the correct position.

Some Sony radios have a switch on the outside to turn off or on the internal amplifier.

The blue wire on the Sony should not be connected unless you are using an external amplifier (s)
Do you know if any d21 trucks came with external amplifiers? I looked around but couldn't find one. I'll take a look now to see if i can find an internal amp control on the sony. already adjusted the fader settings.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:46 AM   #6
Tetsuichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuichi View Post
Do you know if any d21 trucks came with external amplifiers? I looked around but couldn't find one. I'll take a look now to see if i can find an internal amp control on the sony. already adjusted the fader settings.
also the ground on the nissan harness is more of a loop, i just connected all the blacks to chassis for simplicity sake.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #7
Tomakze

Vehicle: 1990 2WD D21

Quote:
also the ground on the nissan harness is more of a loop, i just connected all the blacks to chassis for simplicity sake.
"All the blacks" What does this mean? There should only be one black wire, coming from the Sony headunit. That needs to connect to ground. If you have no sound, and no amplifier, I would be there is a short somewhere. Use your multimeter, put it in the "ohms" mode, and connect one lead to ground, and use the other lead to test all the speaker wires. If you have an auto-ranging meter, there may be resistance there, but it should be crazy high. If you read anywhere from 0 to 4 ohms, you have a short circuit. That will cause the radio to go into protect mode and shut down the internal amplifier. If there is no short, the ground wire on the radio is connected to a good ground on the chassis, and there is no amplifier, then you just have a bad radio.

-1970 Datsun 2000 Fairlady Roadster (resto in progress)
-1990 Nissan Hardbody 2wd 4cyl (DD and project)
-2014 Ford Fiesta (DD and audio system demo vehicle)
Tomakze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tetsuichi (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
Tetsuichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakze View Post
"All the blacks" What does this mean? There should only be one black wire, coming from the Sony headunit. That needs to connect to ground. If you have no sound, and no amplifier, I would be there is a short somewhere. Use your multimeter, put it in the "ohms" mode, and connect one lead to ground, and use the other lead to test all the speaker wires. If you have an auto-ranging meter, there may be resistance there, but it should be crazy high. If you read anywhere from 0 to 4 ohms, you have a short circuit. That will cause the radio to go into protect mode and shut down the internal amplifier. If there is no short, the ground wire on the radio is connected to a good ground on the chassis, and there is no amplifier, then you just have a bad radio.
There is only one ground, but the wiring harness has a point to connect the ground, which then loops around and connects it to the metal. I just ignored that and mounted the Sony ground directly to metal. Pretty sure it accomplishes the same thing.

I'll check tomorrow with a multi meter, I did buy the radio second hand so its possible its busted. Thanks a lot for the info.

What's the next step if there's a short, run new speaker wires? Is there any explanation as to why my older unit has sound, but not the Sony?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Tetsuichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakze View Post
So from the ground to all four speaker wires, I'm reading roughly 195.0 on the 200k ohm setting. Not entirely sure what that means to be honest. Also bought another sony deck just to test, and im having the same issue. All powered up with no sound.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #10
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Quote:

There is NO ground in the stock harness

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote