Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #1
synthetic11

Vehicle: nissan d21 1987
Default Asbestos in 1987 D21 Rear brakes Shoes?

Anyone know if they used asbestos in the brake shoes of the 1980's D21's? I had to adjust the shoes on the rear brakes to pass inspection. Taking the drums off a lot of brown brake dust came out, and had to beat it with a hammer to get it off. Pretty sure they are stock pads truck only has 70,000 miles. Brake shoes say akebono. Sinus and sore throat and metal taste in mouth
synthetic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #2
h.stickeye

Vehicle: *91 D21 single cab Black *88 D21 single cab White

I dont think so, however they did use asbestos in some wierd places in cars. The only thing I can say is post a pic and I can tell you, I see asbestos on a daily.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #3
synthetic11

Vehicle: nissan d21 1987

I have already put it back together and wet mopped the piles of brake sludge/dust that was on the garage floor.
synthetic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #4
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

asbestos is in a few car parts, though not in any harmful levels, back when asbestos was labeled unsafe, parts manufactures cut down on the amount of asbestos used in parts. most companies say they don't have it in their parts, but its a fib they tell the public, as most wearing components still have small amounts in it, such as brake pads and clutches.

there isn't any amount in them that would do any harm to you, but in any rate, to be safe, do not breath in any dust from clutches or brakes. use a damp cloth and wipe out the dust, don't blow it out, as this will make it air born. brake dust in itself even without asbestos is dangerous to your health.
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #5
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
to be safe, do not breath in any dust from clutches or brakes. use a damp cloth and wipe out the dust, don't blow it out, as this will make it air born. brake dust in itself even without asbestos is dangerous to your health.
I came here to say the same thing. Brake dust of any kind is nasty stuff. Drums get it worse because it just accumulates in there over time. I always spray everything down with a healthy dose of brake cleaner first. Although you shouldn't breathe that in either lol.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #6
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,018 Times in 938 Posts

If they were original shoes from87, I would assume yes. Asbestos was the perfect brake fiber. It could withstand tremendous heat with longevity.
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

From the 1991 Los Angeles Times article about upcoming new Federal laws concerning asbestos use in brake shoes:

Quote:
'Under federal law, asbestos brake production is supposed to stop in 1993 and auto manufacturers are supposed to stop using it in new cars by 1995. By 1997, all asbestos brake linings are supposed to be off store shelves and out of new cars...'
And that is exactly what happened. So unless your brake shoes are more than 22 years old, there is zero chance they have asbestos in them. Still...as SBJ said...the dust itself, like coal dust, can be very bad for you. So is breathing the brake cleaner fumes.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 115,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote