Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 12-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
humungus

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan XE KingCab D21

That's what galls me! Nothing was out of spec as far as emissions... it failed simply because the timing was 12 degrees and not 5 degrees! This state is out of control with their bureaucratic BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
what reading did it cause to make it fail
the smog test? those tests in commufornia must be relentless.

i had my 87 tested in august. all they look for on one that old is verification of the vin vs the registration slip, they pressure check the gas cap and slide a mirror under the vehicle to visually verify the presence of a cat converter. then they probe the tail pipe while the computer works its magic.

did you have a NOX or CO2 reading that was high? if that was the problem, do the following trick. i have done it 4 or 5 times and by god it works.

go to home depot, lowes etc. buy one gallon of denatured alcohol from the paint section. run the fuel tank low...............less than a quarter tank if possible. pour the entire gallon in the tank and drive it to the testing center like you stole it to get the converter hot. it works. my 87 passed with lower readings than a brand new car. the guy couldnt believe the results he saw on the screen.

i laughed and drove to the courthouse for my new tag
humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,485 Times in 1,220 Posts

With there being vehicles built for California emissions and federal emissions, the possibility exists that Nissan has a different timing recommendation for California. I've never dealt with anything like that but I suppose that it could be why they said 5 degrees?
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
what reading did it cause to make it fail the smog test? those tests in commufornia must be relentless.

i had my 87 tested in august. all they look for on one that old is verification of the vin vs the registration slip, they pressure check the gas cap and slide a mirror under the vehicle to visually verify the presence of a cat converter. then they probe the tail pipe while the computer works its magic.

did you have a NOX or CO2 reading that was high? if that was the problem, do the following trick. i have done it 4 or 5 times and by god it works.

go to home depot, lowes etc. buy one gallon of denatured alcohol from the paint section. run the fuel tank low...............less than a quarter tank if possible. pour the entire gallon in the tank and drive it to the testing center like you stole it to get the converter hot. it works. my 87 passed with lower readings than a brand new car. the guy couldnt believe the results he saw on the screen.

i laughed and drove to the courthouse for my new tag
Glad we don't have to do that here. No way I would pass. The cat is a hollow shell shell now and more exhaust exits under the truck than through the tailpipe.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #14
humungus

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan XE KingCab D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
With there being vehicles built for California emissions and federal emissions, the possibility exists that Nissan has a different timing recommendation for California. I've never dealt with anything like that but I suppose that it could be why they said 5 degrees?
It has to be an error. The state contracts with a company (Motor Information Systems out of Troy, MI) to produce "The Book" that has the data.

And "The Book" is flat out wrong. Motor Information Systems says they use data supplied by the manufacturer, so I need to contact Nissan. The service manual I have says 10 +/- 2. The dealer just refers to an electronic version of the service manual which says the same.

I've already spent hours on this. The State says I can go to a smog test referee. The smog test ref says all he can do is retest my vehicle, and he would charge me to do it. It already passed, so I don't need that. I filed a complaint with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, but I don't think they will help me much since it ultimately did pass smog, though it cost me a re-test fee.

The bottom line is the bureaucratic bullshit is too deep to wade through, and I won't get my money back for the retest fee simply because the State doesn't care. All this smog test bullshit is just a money-make for them anyway (I believe they get $35 for every mandatory smog test that occurs).

I'm over it. I'll just have to remember to set my timing to 5 next time I have to go through a smog test, then change it back afterwards.
humungus is offline   Reply With Quote