Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #151
lvjimmy

Vehicle: 93 D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
The tensioner on the passenger side will take up the slack on that side. If you have the marks lined up you shouldn't have anything to worry about. You made sure the engine was set to TDC on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder before you started right?
Yes, I set it to TDC before starting. The marks lined up where they were supposed to be on the sprockets and the silver links made into each mark on the sprocket. Thanks for your help. It should all be back together tomorrow.
lvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #152
drew7774

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1996 and 1993
Default Valve Cover rear plug area

I changed my valve cover gasket on a 96" D21. When I replaced the half circular plug in the rear I noticed that the rear of the cover area, [or I guess you could call it the rear of the engine where the valve cover is screwed to the engine block], it appeared to need two plugs in the rear. There seems to be a gap behind the plug that is open even when I put the plug in place. Being that it was my first time doing this job on a hardbody, it was different than the one I did on a 78" Toyota pickup. I was wondering why it needed these two plugs anyway. I mean I was wondering why the engine is designed to need these plugs. I looked at it carefully and realized that it is designed this way to allow a tool to be inserted when loosening the timing chain. Is this the same reason why the rear appears to need two plugs? I took a good picture of this topic but I don't know how to upload pics yet.
drew7774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #153
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

There is only one half-moon plug on the back of the valve cover. The plug will drop into its hole (there are a couple of lines machined to act as a guide for the plug) and seal, even though it looks like it needs a second plug. I think that hole is there because on FWD ka24 vehicles (stanza, axxess) the distributor runs off the camshaft rather than the gear on the crank snout. KA24DE engines use two plugs per side, if memory serves.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #154
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

SBJ The distributor runs off the oil pump, well both are tied to the main crank gear if memory serves.

The other note as mentioned in the other thread, buy an OSK timing chain, do not even waste your time trying to save money because the aftermarket chain is too loose and is louder than your bad chain and bad guides...I did this and ended up changing it within 10k miles because it was so loud.

OSK is the way to go, it's the OEM and it's identical to the one that is in your truck now.
Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #155
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
There is only one half-moon plug on the back of the valve cover. The plug will drop into its hole (there are a couple of lines machined to act as a guide for the plug) and seal, even though it looks like it needs a second plug. I think that hole is there because on FWD ka24 vehicles (stanza, axxess) the distributor runs off the camshaft rather than the gear on the crank snout. KA24DE engines use two plugs per side, if memory serves.

the KA24de does NOT use two plugs per side. it uses one. its the CA20 that uses 8 plugs on a 4cyl, 2 coils and a really wacky distributor.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #156
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Turchin View Post
SBJ The distributor runs off the oil pump, well both are tied to the main crank gear if memory serves.
Just noticed I posted this like 9 months ago.

You are right. I was referring to FWD applications of the KA24E/DE such as the stanza and the Altima where logistically it would be difficult to mount the distributor there.

Street_rulerr: I was referring to the half moon plugs that are part of the valve cover gasket set. Sorry for any confusion. I know the Z24 uses a similar setup for its ignition system. Don't know much about the CA series.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 AM   #157
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Vehicle: 96 Nissan XE 2.4

I wonder, even though my truck is a 96, there is still some sort of recall that hasn't been addressed by any previous owners, that the local Nissan dealer would do?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #158
james_se-r

Vehicle: 1994 D21 2WD

So according to my reading the osk timing kit is the way to go as it appears to be the exact same as OEM factory kit. Plan on purchasing soon.

My question is-

I was wondering what you guys recommend Brand wise on a replacement oil pump since it would be wise to replace this at the same time. Anyone happen to know the oem manufacturer on these?
james_se-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #159
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Rockauto sells the Hitachi oil pump says it is OEM, I used it on mine

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote