Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-21-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader
Default where are best places to buy D21 Parts?

I'm wondering where people go to get parts for their D21.

At the moment I need a clutch kit and I'd like to get a flywheel too.
I'd also like to get a driveline center or carrier bearing.

And smaller parts like the little shifter boot that goes underneath the main shifter boot.

I just went to NAPA and they seemed to have a poor selection. They only had one clutch option and the brand was NCF.

Online, It looks like rockauto has a decent clutch collection.
It looks like nissanpartsdeal has the little shifter boot.

I'm about an hour from a Nissan dealership. Would it be worth ordering through them?

Related, what's the best way to go about finding part numbers?

Thanks
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #2
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

For most usual parts I shop around and see who is cheapest. Usually Ebay, Amazon Advanced Auto, etc. Somethings you have to get at the dealer if they haven't discontinued it. Then it's junkyard shopping. For part #'s just look up the part on the nissan parts site.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:09 AM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Rockauto and Amazon are the places to go. For the former, even with shipping it usually ends up being far less than what you would pay locally. That's usually where I go for bigger purchases like clutches and timing belt kits. Like 91nissan94 mentioned above, shop around and see who has the best prices.

You can find the little shifter boot on Amazon too, it's listed as a 240sx part but it fits our D21s too:

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-240sx-...omotive&sr=1-1

Note: this assumes you have a 4 cylinder. No idea if it fits the 6 cylinder trannies or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it did though.

For part numbers I usually go to dealer websites and get the exploded parts diagrams. Some of the parts are either discontinued or have been superseded by newer parts that have different numbers. It helps to do your homework here.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #4
rockcrawls

Thanks,

When I pulled the shifter boot off it was heavy duty stapled in place in addition to the bolts which makes me think the clutch hasn't been touched since factory 146k miles ago. The clutch on nissan parts deal website (which says it sells authentic dealership parts) is nearly twice the amount but maybe it's worth it if I can get 146k out of it?
PS: Just updated my vehicle type on the side bar.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:21 AM   #5
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Just go on rockauto and get the whole kit that comes with the pressure plate, pilot bushing and throwout bearing. You'll also want to replace the rear main seal and get the flywheel resurfaced. I went with an exedy clutch and am pretty happy with it, but there are plenty of other good brands out there too. It's also a great time to change the gear oil in the transmission since you can just pour it in through the shifter hole instead of messing with the fill plug on the side of the transmission.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:06 AM   #6
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

rockcrawls, I just checked napaonline.com and saw 3 options for your truck - stock NCF and performance NCF both made by LUK and the ATM which is made by Valeo. The ATM does not list a pilot bearing however.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 AM   #7
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Luk and Valeo are both good names. They make stuff for high end and performance cars and trucks.

What sort of clutch do you want? A stock type clutch will be cheapest and easiest to drive. A ceramic clutch will be harder to drive, not as smooth and probably unnecessary. Performance will be more expensive.
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
rockcrawls

After reading for a while I am leaning toward a regular exedy clutch on rockauto. What would be a good option for a new flywheel (the same weight as the old one) if I don't want to get the old one resurfaced?

My mechanic friend said not to touch the main rear seal if it's not leaking but I have read multiple people on here say to replace it. If it ever does leak, would you ever know since it's inside the bell housing? Also do you have to drain the engine oil to replace it?

I already put MT-90 GL4 in the transmission last year and it's been sitting over six months until I do this clutch.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,595 Posts

If I take the transmission off, I’m replacing the rear main seal. It’s so easy to replace while you’re in there and it’s a ridiculous amount of work to replace it if it starts leaking later. If he’s willing to replace it for free if it starts leaking later, I’d take his advice.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Since they haven't made a D21 for the US market in 22 years, you have to hustle a bit and shop around. Some parts are better obtained at one place than another. All the previous advice was good.

For oil, filters, and regular tune up parts, Advance Auto Parts is my source because of their Speed Perks deals and heavy discounts when you sign up at their website.

For everything else, it is catch-as-catch-can for now. The aftermarket parts biz is playing catch-up right now in America. For example, you can get parts for a 48 Ford or Chevy all over the place. Nissan trucks in the hardbody era? It's search and hustle all the way. If you visit a wrecking yard and see a hardbody that hasn't been stripped to pieces, take everything you can get off it that looks like it might be tough to get on the aftermarket. I have large baggies full of stuff...boxes, too.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote