Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan hardbody
Post How To: Projector retrofit

hey guys, so i know i was asked to do this a while back, like almost 3 years ago, but i never had pictures, but i have made another set for my brother in-law and i happen to take pictures this time, also i should point out this is a retro fit for the pathfinder headlight, not the stock type bulbs, so here is goes:

we are working on a 93 extended cab hardbody, all stock front end, but he wants to be like me and so he wanted the pathfinder front end with projectors and hids, along with a set of halos, so he purchased the new headlights (this can be done with used headlights, it will take just a little more care since they have already been around for a bit in the sun) i like using new that way everything looks really good when you start. i should also say he bought the new grill and side marker lights to go with the front end swap. he also purchased the projectors and halos, along with the hids and ballasts.

so before i started on the headlight itself, i started on the projector bezels to get the halos installed:

the one on the left shows a little ledge that needed to be taken off in order to get the halos flush mounted (not all halos will need this done, the set i put in my armada didnt need this step)

after i sanded both nice and smooth i made a small notch at the bottom for the halo wiring to fit without getting in the way of the projector then cleaned them with a rubbing alcohol and water mixture:

next i glued the halos down and used some masking tape to hold them in place:

now i know what you are asking yourself, what did he use to hold then to the bezels, well i used this:

it is a little messy to work with but once it is completely cured, you will break the bezels and halos ever trying to get them apart.

so now i have the bezels glued taped and set aside to dry, lets turn to the headlights:

so shiny!!!, remember to remove the plastic wrap on the front!!!

now to the back of the headlight:

not shiny

so now we have to remove all of this, remove bulb, and holder, and the two mounting brackets:

also remove the six metal clips that help hold the lens to the bucket:

now comes the fun part, baking a cake, eerr headlights i mean (wish it was a cake), now set your oven at its lowest temp, or around 200 degrees:

now get a baking sheet and a towel (your a towel) the reason for the towel is so the baking sheet does not melt the headlight housing, and only do one headlight at a time, otherwise there can be catastrophic, now add all your fixings (set headlight in middle of towel and make sure it is not sitting directly onto the lens):

now place in the oven and set a timer for about 7 minutes, it may take a couple times to get the schmoo to free up, and while your baking your lights, make yourself a snack, you deserve it:

ding fries are done, now that the timer has went off, now its time to remove the headlight, remember to use oven mitts cause the tray will be hot!!:

after removing from the oven and while still using oven mitts, use a small standard screwdriver (flathead) to wedge in between the lens and housing, working slow enough to not crack anything but fast enough for the schmoo to not cool, you may have to use a couple screwdrivers to get it apart, at this time be careful when pulling the lens off to not get the schmoo all over the inside of the housing:

now place the lens somewhere safe on a towel so you dont scratch it, schmoo side up so it doesnt stick to anything, repeat for the other housing. now we need to remove the stock refractor:

i used a small drill bit in that screw hole to make just enough room to run the power wires for the halo and the high beam wiring
06 armada(bertha), 24's, system, looking to slam it
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

now he wanted to be a tad different then me and asked to black out the housings, if you are not going to paint your housings you can skip these next couple of steps, and they will still turn out looking good:

these are the ones on my truck, not painted and without halos, still looks purtty

ok so now that we have bare housing its time to prep them for paint, i used a red scotch scuff pad to prep the housing, i also taped over the schmoo as to not get paint in it and to not smear it everywhere while preping:

nice and scuffed, now i used the same water alcohol mixture to clean these after scuffing and now they are ready for paint (i put them in a cardboard box to keep dust and wind down:

now when painting it is good to start with 3 light mist coats with about 10 mins in between each, then two coats a little thicker for full coverage, one from side to side wait 10 minutes then one length wise and you get something like this:

now give them about an hour to dry, and in the mean time lets assemble the projectors:

remove the tape front the bezels and clean up any mess, that water mixture again will help clean them up:

now press the housings onto the projector carefully and attach with mounting screws:

now we have to remove the bulb mounting fixture and retaining nut:

with that removed take the supplied rubber grommet (the thin one) and place over the threads of the projector, place the projector into the dry housing making sure the highbeam flipper is on the bottom and also look thru the projector to get the flipper level with the bottom of the housing, and make it centered in the housing:

next take the supplied washer and retaining nut and install those onto the back of the projector, do not over tighten these they just need to be snugged up nicely:

here you can see the wires coming out of the housing

next place the lens back onto the housing (make sure it is clean on the inside cause this is the last chance to do so) and just push the lens into the grove of the housing, but not to hard as the schmoo is cold (with new headlights you are ok without adding any new schmoo, older headlights you might need to use a little silicon):

preheat your oven again, and get everything ready to bake, place back in the oven and set timer again for 7 ish minutes:

ding fries are done again!! now that the schmoo is warm, use a pair of channel locks to lightly clamp the lens into the grove and place the metal clips back on in there spots, work your way around with the pliers and clips:

now that it has cooled down and the lens is back on, reinstall the bulb fixture, and the mounting brackets, and install the new bulb, (make sure you get the correct bulb for the projector, and do not touch the glass part of the bulb upon installation):

Old 05-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

now they are ready for install:

now if you havent already, remove the bumper (dont forget to unplug the turn signals) remove the grill and side marker lights, and remove the old light bulbs and their buckets:

now install the new headlight into their new home (the two outside holes will use the same hardware to go back on the the inside will require a new bolt and not):

now if you have halos wire them now, we wired them into the running light/side markers so the halos come on when they do, now test:

test the hids:

now install the new grill and side markers:

and now install the bumper and turn signals:

now sit back and bask in your glory:

from here you want to wait until it starts to get dark, find a nice level place and a wall where you can park about 25 feet away, pick a spot about 3 feet up the wall and set the height of the cut off on the lights to that, also make sure the squiggle of the cut off is center of the headlight it is coming from, after that enjoy driving at night and being able to see everything in front of you. if you have any questions feel free to ask and i will do my best to help you out, also if you would like i can make these to order, it usually takes about two weeks to get all the parts in but i would be will to build them for a little fee over the price of parts.

*disclaimer i am not in any way responsible for any damage or your mistakes if you are attempting this
Old 05-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
kdog0990

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1993

Great write up
kdog0990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog0990 View Post
Great write up
Lmao it's on your truck
Old 05-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,253 Posts

It’s not even on my truck and I think it’s a great write up. I’ll make this a sticky, thank you for taking the time to do this for everybody.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

What projectors did you use? I did a retrofit with Mini D2S projectors in 7x6 housings and it was a lot more in depth and a lot more work. The 7x6 is shallow enough it is hard to keep the projector glass off the plastic lens. Aiming then becomes a PITA with how much needs to be trimmed.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

They were a set of 2.5 that he bought off of Amazon, I have two sets of the same, the one in my hardbody and a set in my armada, they are actually really nice and not to badly priced, on the pathfinder lights they just barely touch the lens, but as long as you have it centered it's fine I didnt even want to attempt the 7x6 housings, I had those in my truck originally and you are right there is a ton more work to do to them, but if you were to use the mini ds2 in the pathfinder setup it would be really simple I just think that size projector in the pathfinder house would be to small
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Itís not even on my truck and I think itís a great write up. Iíll make this a sticky, thank you for taking the time to do this for everybody.
Thank you bama I tried to be as detailed as I could
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 AM   #10
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Got a linky to the projectors? Might be nice to have a spare set around to play with.

The D2S make the 7x6 look small for sure. Sadly I got to take mine apart soon. One of my demon eyes failed. Stupid wire broke on the orange LED strip. I did an orange demon eye to match the orange corners. I'll post a pic in a few.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote