Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
Lazon15s

Vehicle: 1996 Hardbody

Looks good. You swapped the firewall also. Where were the clearance issues on the firewall?

I have someone that can fab some new ones but I might just get the Chevy ones and make my own.
Lazon15s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazon15s View Post
Looks good. You swapped the firewall also. Where were the clearance issues on the firewall?

I have someone that can fab some new ones but I might just get the Chevy ones and make my own.
The main clearance issue was the back of the engine, plain and simple. I wanted to run a stock fan and radiator, and that required a deeper engine bay.

The other reason for swapping the firewall is because I used the heat/AC, pedals, brakes, and dash from the Chevy.

The thing about the stock mounts is that they have that offset nub in the middle. Using a stock mating part is cheap and easy.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 AM   #13
Lazon15s

Fair enough. I’m going to ditch a/c and stock radiator. I’m worried that I’m going to have to do a new transmission tub for the 4l60 transmission. Plan on doing a new intake, different radiator, and shorty headers with custom exhaust. I know I’ll have to fabricate the mounts to get the right driveshaft angle etc. and a new driveshaft. Since you’ve done this... where has been your biggest challenge? What is going to make this go smooth?

I am off to the scrap yard this week for the rest of the panels. Sanding and cleaning for a week or two. The frame is almost completely cleaned and repainted. Interior has been cleaned, sanded, and ready for paint. Cleaning is the name of the game.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #14
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Now is the best time to make any mods needed to give yourself access to the trans-to-engine bolts. If that means reworking the trans tunnel, it will be worth it.

My biggest hurdle was making the Silverado controls, dash and heater fit in a truck that is 10 inches narrower. Doesn't sound like you are going that route, though.

Driveline angle was tough because I have a lift, transfer case, and I wanted to keep the t-case above the bottom of the frame rails. Again, that will not be an obstacle for you.

Your biggest problem will be figuring out where to mount that custom radiator and fan/s. I would say to check DvdSwan's build, but when I think about it, the radiator problem is what stopped his project...almost three years ago.

Exhaust will be a booger if you keep the Nissan firewall, but I know there are others here who have overcome that, so dig through some other threads. DvdSwan did finish that part, but he has not run it yet.

Also, plan on adding something to prevent axle wrap. Ladder bar, links, tracktion bars, something.

Last edited by Reserector; 01-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

What rear axle are you going with? The Nissan H233B will handle the 5.3 just fine. That's what I'm running with 35" mud tires.
If you can find a flange yoke to go on the rear that holds a 1330 series u-joint instead of the 1310, you can get a shaft made with 1330 series on both ends. Otherwise you will need a conversion joint or two.
If you DO find that flange, send me the part number. ;-)
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #16
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Oh, and the ECM and TCM fit between the inner and outer fender on the driver side.

I had to butcher the plastic box that it was in, and that serves as the mount. Here, it looks like it is sticking up too high, but this is the final position. It is a close fit. It really cleans up the engine bay.

A view from down undah. (the splash shield covers the bottom)

Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #17
Lazon15s

I’m removing ac. Cutting inner fenders out. Bagging it all around. Drop spindles in front. 4 link in the back. Same Nissan rear end I hope. I know the drive shaft will have to be shortened. So I will likely buy a custom one.

As for wiring I’m going with a stand-alone harness

Bed will be hacked apart so I might figure a way to run the radiator in the back if I have to. Which would be crazy but I will see soon. I am waiting on the motor and transmission so I’m just sanding and doing body work. Getting ready for primer.

I need that motor and transmission to start figuring out where to make the firewall and transmission cover modifications. I figure with the ac removed from the dash and running the hb dash I will have plenty of room. I can cut the bottom of the radio mount out to gain clearance on the transmission. I might be safe and make it 1.5” proud Incase I body drop it.

Thanks for all the links and advise. I feel like this has been a part time job reading and looking for info. I’ve made calls all over the country looking for things I know I’m gonna have to make it have help making for this build.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Radiator in the back solves a lot of issues, and allows your intake to come straight off the front and turn to the side, or down.

No heater box will indeed free up some room to enlarge the trans tunnel. Like I said, imagine yourself accessing the trans to engine bolts, the fuel lines, trans dipstick, and ground braid that will be at the firewall.
With no heater box, you might consider making a removable panel to access all that, including the Cam sensor.

Sounds like a good project. Hit me up if you run into LS-specific problems. Chances are I've dealt with it.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #19
Lazon15s

Will do. For now Iím still cleaning.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

A lot of great info can be used from the 1st/2nd gen SBC swaps. Your going to need to address all those issues with added wiring and fuel system upgrades but the engines are very similar dimensionally.

Holley has a third generation oil pan (302-3) with even more clearance. LSX Specialties (long wait but cheapest/best deal) makes a great harness or hacking the OE down yourself is pretty straight forward (for what it is)

4l60 should be close to fitting with some BFH work and maybe slight height increases in the trans tunnel.

Are you 100% on bagging it? Since I have installed my SBC I have thought long and hard about going coilover... Personally I would get the drive train sorted out and drive it a bit before deciding. Bags are great, but lets be real its the only suspension designed for 'parking' haha - not being able to take it to the track is also an issue.

ASR's thread is a great reference, use chrome on a desktop computer with this extension enabled to get around the photo bucket issue