Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > 05+ Frontier Forum (D40)

Old 12-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
James77

Vehicle: Nissan Frontier 2004
Default 05 Frontier - starter question

Hey everyone, folks, I've got a real quick question about the Frontiers' alternators. Since last Friday my Frontier won't start, and the reason is bad alternator. So now, after the holiday when there is finally a chance to buy one, I wanted to ask you, if that's a good idea to go with an aftermarket starter? because the new one from the dealer is way too expensive for me. And I thought, if you folks can tell me from your experience that it is a good idea to save some cash this way I'll probably order one of these.
Yet, I want this alternator to work okay, you know.
I appreciate any feedback on these starters for Frontiers.

Last edited by James77; 12-29-2017 at 01:43 PM.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
tomc

Vehicle: 1995 Pickup

FWIW, replaced the alternator in my '95 with a new one from NAPA and had no problems since. But the truck is not used much, so the long term durability is still an unknown.
Tom
Old 12-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Hey everyone, folks, I've got a real quick question about the Frontiers' alternators. Since last Friday my Frontier won't start, and the reason is bad alternator. So now, after the holiday when there is finally a chance to buy one, I wanted to ask you, if that's a good idea to go with an aftermarket starter? because the new one from the dealer is way too expensive for me. And I thought, if you folks can tell me from your experience that it is a good idea to save some cash this way I'll probably order one of these.
Yet, I want this alternator to work okay, you know.
I appreciate any feedback on these starters for Frontiers.
I assume that you are replacing the ALTERNATOR, not the starter????

Anyway, here's what I have on my own vehicles:
1998 Frontier: has CarQuest starter (about 2006) and O'Reilly alternator (about 2013) - no issues with either (alternator has lifetime warranty)

2004 Frontier - both are still original ones

1988 Mazda truck - both are still original ones

2005 GMC Yukon - has Autozone starter about 2013 (lifetime warranty) and original alternator

So I do not bow down to the "theory" that dealer parts are "better". There are no Nissan alternator factories, no Nissan starter factories....
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Welcome to Infamous.

Highly recommend NEW starter, reman's generally suck and do not last. Some people have had luck with reman starters and their "lifetime warranty" is great if you want to become an expert at replacing it often. Pay a little more and get a NEW starter and install it once.

I use Pure Energy brand from Rockauto, have bought 2 for different Nissan's so far, they are fairly inexpensive (about $80) and no problems with either one.

For the alternator I would upgrade to a larger one if available, not sure what works on a Frontier but on my Hardbody, former Pathfinder and former Sentra I have installed used bigger alternators from junkyard and no problems with any of them.

One thing if you choose to get a used junkyard alternator, try to find an OEM unit, OEM usually have green in the center of the alternator, and if you happen to pull a used alternator and find a reman sticker on it, leave it and find another one.

Paid $28 for the 125 amp alternator I have in my hardbody right now, it was from a Nissan Quest, and works perfect.

(Info below applies to the 2.4 Frontier engine, do not know what engine you have as you did not specify, V6 alternator is different and is 100 amps.)

Your alternator looks like the standard Hardbody model, so there are probably options for replacing with a higher output model, stock is 70 amps, there is an alternator that puts out 90 amps and will bolt right in, uses same plug, would have to swap the pulley, output stud and plug are in different locations but there usually is enough room in the wires to reach the new locations, alternator would be for a 89-94 SOHC Maxima.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 12-30-2017 at 02:54 PM.
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote