Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Default Olympic Mountains Campout #2 (Last of the season)

Quote:
We've decided to host ONE FINAL campout to the Olympic Mountains of WA State, and this time we're going to the High Country near Trap Pass. (See Google Maps, 'Trap Pass, WA.') This will be the last trip up that far before the snows come.

UPDATE: This trip is once again ON.
DATES: Saturday through Monday, Oct 14-16, 2017.

Quote:
"We're staying, we're going...we're staying, we're going...make up your minds!" Steve Buscemi from the film Armageddon.
What happened: I had some regrets about posting up this invitation after IN member Scott Turchin, who has BEEN to Trap Pass and did a video when he got there (with a drone), warned me about road conditions leading to the pass. He said basically that it was passable, but a bit rough in spots. I started getting worried that I would invite people to come, but then they might get stuck or something. And I didn't want to be responsible for that. So...I decided to take down the public post (THIS post) and just contact some local Infamous Nissan members privately, those in the Puget Sound area.

However, after reviewing more information about the trip, the road, etc. I decided it was safe enough to re-post the public invite. I will definitely be GOING, and I'm leaving on Friday morning, October 13th for the site. I will be there until Monday morning, October 16th.

What You Need to Know if You Decide to Show Up:

• Bring plenty of supplies, and I mean everything you will need to last the entire time you plan to stay. The nearest store is many miles away, and you really don't want to have to go back down unless you are actually headed home.
  • Daytime temps will hover around 55-60 degrees, according to latest weather reports. Nighttime temps will be low 40's. Some light showers could be expected, but absolutely no chance of snow. Dress WARM.
  • I'm providing a private toilet tent and a private shower setup.
  • Don't try to come in anything except a truck, a Jeep, or an SUV. Your Buick Centurian won't make it.
  • It's approximately 17 miles once you leave the main highway, (Highway 101) to the campsite. The first eight miles are paved, the remainder is dirt. There are a few rough spots, but they are passable if you slow down and are careful. On my way up there, I may kick some rocks out of the way or use my shovel here and there.
  • Campfire restrictions in the Olympic National Forest have been lifted. Campfires are now allowed.
  • I will be monitoring CB channel 14 all weekend. I plan to pull my mobile and antenna and set it up within the campsite, using a spare battery. My handle is 'Viking,' or you can just call for 'Robert'.
  • Target shooting is ALLOWED in this area. I'm bringing my SKS rifle, my Ruger 22, and a couple of others.
  • You can contact me via PM about all this if you wish. If you really plan to try and go, just ask for my cell number and I will give it to you.
  • Hard to get lost. There are only two Forest Service roads in the area. I encourage you to use Google Maps and search on 'Trap Pass, WA' or 'Duckabush River Road' to get the lay of the area.
DIRECTIONS:

From Highway 101, turn WEST onto the Duckabush River Road near Brinnon, WA.

Follow the Duckabush River Road until you get to a bridge. Once you cross that bridge, take a RIGHT at the 'Y'. That road is Forest Service road 2530.

Follow that road all the way to the campsite. Road dead ends at the campsite. See maps and pictures below. I strongly encourage you to contact me beforehand if you plan to go, since I would like to know who I should watch out for, in case you are coming.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-08-2017 at 07:40 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

If you guys weren't a million miles away I'd love to try this. Camping is one of my favorite hobbies.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

damn thats enough switchbacks. i was talking about going camping this coming weekend. the weather finally looks to be shifting to fall. gonna be near 90 today and tomorrow, and with typical southeastern tennessee tradition, it will be in the high 40s next monday morning.

camping or not, my ass is in the woods this coming sunday. i have a lot of atv riding to do, and the riding area of the state forest closes in mid december until march.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
PoppaGary

Vehicle: 1997 D21 KC XE 2WD

OK if no Buicks, my Monte Carlo is definitely out, but what about a stock 2wd D21?

I'm down in Vancouver and have that Friday off (my B-day ) and might be able to get Monday off.
PoppaGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
XoXSciFiGuy

EDITED: Trip is definitely ON now.

YES. A 2WD D-21 will make it. That's what I'm taking, although I installed all new shocks for this trip.

For bears, I have 35 foot bear spray and an SKS rifle with a 30-round magazine. Doubtful bears will even approach the campsite. They usually avoid humans up there except in the wilderness areas. Even if you saw one, you could just pop a couple of rounds into the air and yell at them. They will move off quickly. The Olympics are NOT Yellowstone Park, where the bears practically have voting rights.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-08-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

30 rounds isnt bad. i want to get a drum mag. that is my next purchase for the AK. i love living in the south. no bullshit gun laws.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

We're packed for bear, as they say.
Literally.

For nighttime entertainment, (have to have SOMETHING to do besides watch the campfire, although that ain't bad) I'm bringing a 32" Samsung TV and a DVD player. Bring your favorite movies or recordings. TV will also play from a flash drive, almost any file format works.

Power: Deep-cycle batteries and a 750 watt inverter. Also a small generator, which if used, we string out more than a hundred feet from the campsite to keep the noise away. It isn't very loud anyway. You can also charge up your devices from several outlets we have, including USB charging ports.

Community Stuff: 12x20 overhead tarp in 10 mil thickness, other tarps, the TV, a stereo, (plays regular CD's, or MP-3 CD's or flash drive.) Private shower and toilet. Camp kitchen set with shelves and hangars for lanterns, a community stove. Some emergency water and food provided in case you run short, and a very comprehensive First Aid kit that includes Zantac 150's and 200mg ibuprofen tablets. And a BIG bottle of Tums if you overdo it. I also carry TWO spare tires, Fix a Flat, a plug kit for tires, two air pumps, and a tow chain strong enough to pull a semi-truck. In the event it gets a little cold at night, I can string extra tarps as walls around the community area tarp, to make a sort of cabin.

Just in case.

You can contact me privately at adventurebooksofseattle AT G Mail Dot Com.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-08-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

Keep me posted This weekend is ouit for me anyway, building a motor this weekend
Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
30 rounds isnt bad. i want to get a drum mag. that is my next purchase for the AK. i love living in the south. no bullshit gun laws.
Washington state is a state that generally votes liberal...but has gun laws similar to where you live. No mag restrictions, just the usual background checks, etc.

Last trip to the Olympics, IN member SBJ (Tom) showed up. Said he hadn't fired a weapon since high school. I gave him the SKS rifle. He missed the first two times...and then hit everything he aimed at all day. That boy got natural talent, as the saying goes.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-08-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
PoppaGary

Vehicle: 1997 D21 KC XE 2WD

I prefer the Yugo variant (well that is what I have anyway LOL).

Will half to pass on this one, truck repairs will be a little too new for me to be comfortable driving up there and back in the hills.
Not to mention the parts kind of knocked a hole in my budget.
Over the winter, I'll get my gear checked out to see what I have after the kids\grandkids been using it. Also need to get my CB installed.
PoppaGary is offline   Reply With Quote