Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner
Default Variable wiper swap

First of all I have to say THEY WORK !!!!!!

I just went out and made the connections, turned the key on and tried the wipers, all functions work as they should.

My guide/write up since what is out there now is difficult to follow:

The parts I used were from a 96 Hardbody, no idea if other years are the same so all info below will be based off of the 96's wiring and my 93's wiring. I also grabbed the plugs for the variable wiper switch and the wiper amplifier with a few inches of wire.

One thing I noticed, on my 93 the plug for the wiper switch is on the bottom of the non variable wiper switch and the plug on the 96 variable switch is on the top, it looks like it will just barely clear the ignition but I haven't gotten that far to say for sure yet.

Also the 96 switch has a plastic ridge on the top and bottom of the switch that prevents it from sliding down into where the switch has to sit, I grinded the ridges off with my Dremel tool and the 96 switch slid right in where it is supposed.

The wiring:

Pic below shows the wire locations (which really aren't important if you do the swap the way I did, ) and the colors of each wire on the Wiper Amplifier plug and the variable wiper switch (both out of a 96 Hardbody)

Below are the colors going to the stock non variable wiper switch in my 93, again wire locations are not important just the colors:

Blue/White (high speed)
blue
Blue/Red (low speed)
Black
Blue/Black (washer)

So I followed the schematic for the variable wipers from the 96 FSM and just connected the wires per the schematic, schematic I used below:

First thing, to install, cut off stock wiper switch plug and strip the 5 wires

So what I did starting from number 8 on the wiper amplifier I connected each wire to where the schematic shows, I will just list them below,

numbers below are the wire locations in the wiper amplifier plug:

8 - Blue/Yellow goes to power ( I used a fuse tap and put it on the fuse for the wipers in the fuse box, I made this connection last)
7 - Blue/Black - connects to Blue/black on the variable wiper switch plug and also to the Blue/black from the stock wiper plug.
6 - Blue connects to Blue wire that was on stock wiper plug
5 - Red/Blue connects to Red/Blue on variable wiper switch plug
4 - White/Blue connects to White/Blue on variable wiper switch plug
3 - Black/Blue connects to Black/blue on variable wiper switch plug
2 - black connects to both black wires on variable wiper switch plug and to black wire from stock wiper switch plug

edit, left a couple wires out, sorry:

there are 5 wires going to the stock non variable switch, the following wires do not get connected to the wiper amplifier plug and here is where they go:

Blue/white from stock wiper plug connects to blue/White on variable wiper switch plug
Blue/Red from stock wiper switch plug connects to blue/Red on variable wiper switch plug

After all connections are made, turn the key on and test out wiper functions, if all connections were made as stated above wipers should work.

I still have to permanently connect all the wires and may have to extend them depending on where I mount the wiper amplifier, I'm going to see if I can mount it right inside the column covers, if not I will mount it under the dash near the column.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 09-04-2017 at 07:08 PM.
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
LowMater86

Vehicle: 93 scsb 2wd

Definitely a mod I'm gonna do soon sucks being full blast or slow lol
93 SCSB
Plans:
Motor Swap (not sure on what yet)
Shaved
Bagged - SFBD
Interior swap
ISO:
Dually rearend and CrewCab Cab
LowMater86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

I know how that is ! Been wanting to do this swap for a while but the info online was hard to follow so I had to figure it out on my own.

Just edited the above post as I left two wires out, I added them and all should be correct as to the way I did it.

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

OK, all done now.

When I cut the plugs off the donor 96 Hardbody I got about 6 inches of wire for the wiper switch and wiper amplifier plug. This length was long enough to just make all my connections and after taping up all the wires to place the wiper amplifier under the dash out of the way.

I used a tie wrap and secured it to the bottom of the steering column, used a few more tie wraps and secured the wires out of the way, and ran the power wire to the fuse box inside the dash (had it connected from the front of the fuse block just to test the switch). In the future I may connect the power wire to the backside of the fuse box, but for now it's fine how it is.

Also cleaned the switch, I may buy another switch or a new one as this one the markings are not visible, it's not a big deal as how complicated is a wiper switch to operate anyway LOL.

Reinstalled the column covers and it looks just like OEM.

As far as the switch clearing with the plug on the top, only thing I noticed is to remove the plug, you need to remove the switch first, as the plug will hit the lock cylinder and there is not enough room to remove the plug.

here are the 2 switches showing the different plug locations:

non variable 93 wiper switch, plug on bottom, no rideges:

variable 96 wiper switch, plug on top, can also see the ridge on the top & bottom I mentioned in my first post:

Next project !

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 09-04-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
bagnbodiedinfl

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 94

variable wiper switch from a 94-95 will screw in without any mods.
bagnbodiedinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 AM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Good to know

Old 11-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
CoolasCheese

Vehicle: 1993-1994 HB 2WD 5-speed

I have a wrecked 94 I am parting out and I just completed the dash swap into my 93 truck, minus putting the rest of the dash on because I still need to get the power mirrors working and I would like to get the variable wipers working too.

Do you happen to have a picture of what the wiper amplifier looks like?

Thanks,

Lee
CoolasCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

I don't have a pic of the one I used in the Hardbody, but they all look the same, this pic was from when I added the variable wipers in my former 90 Sentra (it had the plug with the jumper):