Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Gordo78
I'm The Juggernaut B&#@^!

Vehicle: 91 HB
Default How to: D21 Pathy or 4x4 Fender Swap.

Hey guys. Had some time today, thought I would document my progress for those less mechanical people out there that might want to tackle this themselves. Not too many how-to's on this forum compared to others I've seen. On a scale of 1-10 difficulty, I'd give this about a 4. Its not hard, just takes a little time. If you can change your oil and spark plugs, you can probably do this.

You will need....
- Pathy or 4x4 fenders (obvously)
- Pathy or 4x4 inner fenders/wheel well liners
- A descent rachet
- 12 and 10mm sockets
- A phillips and flat-blade screwdriver
- A good weekend afternoon to get it done.
Optional...
- Vice Grips (come in handy when lining up fenders)
- Some PB Blaster, or WD40
- Rubberized Undercoating
- Black Rustoleum or similar
- A magnetic dish comes in handy for all the hardware

First of all, you need to remove the cowl to get to the fender bolts closest to the windshield. To do this, take the covers off of the wiper arms, and use a 12mm socket to get them off. Mine came off easy, but a few tugs should pop them off if they are stuck. Then you need to remove the cowl vents to get access to the 2 phillips head screws on either side that hold it on. I honestly have no idea how to pop off the factory clips, mine never had any vents when I got it, so I just used zip ties which work better, and look just fine. There is also a clip on either side towards the engine bay, but they just pop right off. You can see the screws in this pic.

Next you need to pop the corner lights off. There is 3 phillips head screws holding them on. The two on the side are obvious, but there is also one at the bottom where my screwdriver is in this pic. My bumper is loosened up in this pic, but you can still get to them with it on and tight. Take them off, and pop the clip off and toss them aside.

And here's what you get underneath. There is one fender bolt at the top as you can see. If using aftermarket fenders, you will need to pop the plastic clips off that the phillips heads thead into, and reuse them. I popped mine off with a flat blade screwdriver.

When that's done , I went ahead and took the bumper off. You don't necessarily HAVE to do this, but it was only two bolts per side, and you get better access to the fender bolts under it, as well as easier lining up the new fender. If you don't want to take it off, a regular 10mm wrench can get to the bolts, but I twisted both off on one side doing this. The bumper is held on with two 12mm bolts that you can get to in the front of the fender well. The top one you only have to loosen, the bottom one you have to remove. I took both off anyway just to make sure. You can see the slot on the bumper bracket in the oval shaped opening for the top bolt. The bottom can be reached in the circular hole under that. DONT FORGET YOUR TURN SIGNALS. You don't want to pop the bumper off, and break a housing or wire. They just come off with 2 phillips screws a piece, then you can either let them hang, or pop them off at the plug.

When its off, you get this better access to the two bottom fender bolts in this pic.

Now you have pretty good access to all the fender bolts, so go ahead and pop the fender liner off. There is a few screws (I believe) holding it to the fender lip, and a couple of plastic clips holding it inside the fender. You won't be reusing the stock 2wd ones, so i just left it on the fender, and popped the inner clips off. Here's a good shot showing some of the mounting screws, and a few extra holding the chrome trim that came on my truck.

Now start taking the fender off. There's 4 total fender bolts up top, one of those is under the cowl, one behind the marker light, two behind the bumper, two on the back you have to reach from the door jam, and one at the very bottom by the door. All of them are 10mm. The door jam ones especially need a socket extension. There's also a phillips screw holding the valance to the fender up front on the bottom. You'll also want to pop off and save the black rubber deal in the middle for your new fenders.
Here's a shot of all 4 up top and my 1 year old Golden Retriver asleep in the shade.

And one at the top and bottom of the door jam.

The one down low by the door.

And the phillips holding the valance on.

Get them all off, and your fender should pop right off. You may need a flat blade screwdriver to scrape off the seam filler at the front of the fenders up top. Mine was so brittle it just cracked off.

If you are doing the passenger side, you need to take the antenna off too. Its just a phillips screw, then you can slide the antenna, and the long donkey-dick aluminum rod that sticks into the fender. Here you can also see the fender bolt that's under the cowl.

I found no creative solution, so the only way to get the antenna off of the fender is to unplug it right under the blower motor in the passenger footwell inside, and yank it through the door jam. Then you can pull it off. Here's a shot of the plug in the door jam. Here's the plug, I ran my RCA's and remote wire to my amp right next to it.

You will get a good shot of this...

Now is a good time for some housecleaning. I figured since it was off, I'd give the fender support and radiator support a good shot of some black rustoleum, and a coat of rubberized undercoating up in the fender. This is optional, but hey why not.

Once that is all done, just hang the new fender up top, and start lining it up. It's best not to tighten any of the fender bolts just yet, you are going to have to do some fitting. Now if you used aftermarket fenders like me, this may take some time. Mine came from partsgeek.com, and fit surprisingly well, but did need some tweaking. Fenders from a junkyard will fit better. Retrace your steps, and start bolting it down. For the passenger side, you will need to put the antenna on, and thread the plug back into the door jam, and hook it back up under the dash. This was a bit of a PITA, but I got it. Bolt the bumper back up, a jack or a buddy can help with this. Put the signals and corner lights back on, plug them in, and tighten the phillips heads holding them on. Dont forget the 4x4 or pathy inner fenders/fender liners.

Last edited by Gordo78; 03-25-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Gordo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (03-25-2012), Bucket-List (11-19-2012), OldGreyBeast (04-01-2012), Swschz (04-01-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Gordo78

Now take a step back, open a brew, and admire your nice new bulging fenders. Yes I know I need to put my corner lights on in this pic, but I'm tired and sunburned.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,270 Posts

Stuck. Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to document everything. Are you sure the bolts holding the fenders on are 12mm? I could have sworn they were 10mm.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Gordo78

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Stuck. Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to document everything. Are you sure the bolts holding the fenders on are 12mm? I could have sworn they were 10mm.

Edited... Typo, meant 10 you're right.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
SkinnyG
UYFBR

Vehicle: 1994 Hardbody

To remove the factory plastic cowl vent covers, I believe you just poke the center pin down, and it unclips. To reset them for installation, you have to push the center pin all the way up, put them in place, then push them flush to lock them.
Gordo78 (03-25-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

Thanks! This is excellent. My truck (4x4) was in an accident and the previous owner replaced the fender with a RWD fender, so it's kinda janky looking. Was planning on getting a proper fender later on. This will definitely help with the replacement.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
Swschz
Retired Mod

Vehicle: 2 navaras

Dayum, i love the sunvisor thing you have on your truck. any more info / pics on it

Good write up to.

Thanks from IN, for your contribution.
Swschz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Gordo78

No problem fellas.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...r/partid.9399/

^^ I believe this is the visor. I don't know much about it, but it is made by Lund i know that. My grandpa owned the truck since it was brand new, and he put it on about 15 years ago when I was just a kid.

Here's my most recent shot. I was going to take it off, but It has grown on me.

Last edited by Gordo78; 04-01-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Gordo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
alowc10front

Vehicle: 98 frontier

looks really nice i like the wheels what size tire do u have?
alowc10front is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Static808
ALOHA SERVED DAILY!

Vehicle: 1990 Hardbody

So the hb corner lights fit? Jus wanna.make.sure