Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #171
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

Also - If your doing the V8 conversion and using speedway universal mounts DOUBLE CHECK THE WELDS!

Found one side that was held together with powder coat and a prayer apparently... needless to say both sides got welded up before I put everything back together.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #172
REYXTC

Vehicle: 88 Hardbody

Should do a how to on the tag and roll pan install. Lookin good
Old 04-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #173
estetic
ADMIN

I wish I had the time haha - did the roll pan and plate box in about 2.5 hours, no body work yet - just metal... thats about the max garage time in a single stint before I catch noise or attacked by kids haha

Roll pan fitting was a breeze, I believe this was a Grant Customs product (bought it used years ago...) - Perfect fit. Prepped the area (remove paint and clean). Put a couple self tapers in the lip that goes up behind/under the gate to hold it in place. Tack Tack Tack, burn through because the bed corners are paper due to 27 years of rust, tack, tack, fill holes repeat. Then grind it all flat with a flap disc and wheels. Flat black until I get some body filler.

Plate box - snagged that off eBay at some point, nice heavy gauge with nutserts for the plate. Position box, trace outline, cut on the inside of your lines. Find a big ol brace hidden in the tailgate... despair that you only have partial cut off wheels that won't reach left and your plasma cutter is loaned out - chew it out with sheers haha. File and grind the opening until the box fits nice and snug (nobody wants to fill gaps on sheet metal). Tack, Tack,Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack, Tack .... grind! Filler primer, run out of flat black and end up with a pretty sweet 90's splatter paint vibe haha
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #174
Privman

Vehicle: Nissan 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by estetic View Post
Figured I would throw some pics up of my project. Super slow build, going on 1.5 years or so now - just never any time (having a kid will do that...)

Laying out on a 24-25in tire with room for a bit more. Just looking to build a dependable driver.

day 1- $200 hoopty

stock rebuild on the KA - machine work, fresh bearings, rings, gaskets and clutch.

tear down + drop spindles

front mounts, dominator 2500's (mindless metal fab front brackets)

rear setup courtesy of McClarys Metalworks. X-member, bars, bag mounts, and 2x4 notches. (highly recommended)

As of today, its officially laid out

Thats it so far. Need to finish burning in some boxing plates and rear bag mounts, sort air managment, relocate the gas tank and deal with the bed. Planning on trying to raise the bed floor and keep everything underneath.
Details on machine work that was done to motor? Anything you would do different now?
Privman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #175
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts

It's nice catching these build threads years later, and not having to wait months for updates. lol

I think I missed it, but: What happened to the TH350 transmission? People generally have a hard time breaking those. And, did I understand you correctly: You are putting the 350/TH350 into the Nova, and putting another LS back into the D21?
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #176
estetic
ADMIN

Privman - just a hot tank and hone on the block, somehow managed to break a ring land and not take out the cylinder... Head got a hot tank, minor minor deck, and valve job - totally stock rebuild. For the $$ and application this was plenty, motor was strong for what it was. OE Oil pump, water pump, timing set and then a rebuild/re-ring kit w/ pistons from rpm machine (which is just a reseller for some china package)

JP - th350 caught a rebuild over the winter, I think the issue was a combination of pump and converter going out - buddy of mine runs a transmission shop and stuffed it all back together for cheap over a couple months, didn't really go into detail about what was 'wrong', was mostly just tired nothing broken - It needed to come out anyway because it leaked like a sieve haha.

The truck is pretty much done, I think ?? haha - it might catch a coat of cheap color to clean things up but for the most part its just my beater to hoon around town when I don't have the family with me... The nova will eventually get a LS w/ a Chinese turbo hanging off it Ala Sloppy Mechanics type build - but I haven't even though about starting in on that yet.
Thanked by:
jp2code (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #177
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts

Quote:
The truck is pretty much done, I think ?? haha - it might catch a coat of cheap color to clean things up but for the most part its just my beater to hoon around town when I don't have the family with me...
Do you have any Show Off pics of how it looks now?

I noticed the pic in your avatar was from years back.

Also, it looks like you have the Round Dash. Did you get all of the stock gauges to work, are the speedo/tach just sitting there and non-functional, or did you go with aftermarket gauges?

I saw where you mentioned going wire-by-wire, putting the dash back together, but you never said if you got those items working. That was a big concern of mine when I decided to stick with a bigger VG engine when I did my swap ...well, that and the 1-2 year time frame of getting a SBC squeezed in there.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #178
estetic
ADMIN

ha - not really? As the clear coat has flaked off and years of shoddy body work have aged its gotten less and less photogenic... the body is meh and the paint is worse

I may run some sandpaper over it and give it a last ditch plastidip paint job in the near future

No OE gauges and only a hacked together aftermarket setup at the moment - took a bottom dollar Equus 3 gauge setup (oil pressure, volts, temp) and bolted them where the cluster goes and sit my phone on top for a speedo haha - phone tracks mileage and I put 10 gallons of gas in every 100-120 miles haha. Truck gets about 13mpg with the skinny pedal matted at every opportunity

Wiring on the truck is bare minimum, basically took the OE harness and removed anything that wasn't lights, starter or fuel pump. Additional switched 12v to the distributor and a separate harness for my airride.
Thanked by:
jp2code (06-25-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #179
Bolo619

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:

front mounts, dominator 2500's (mindless metal fab front brackets)

Did you relocate the shock up front? If so, where/how? do u have a pic?
Bolo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #180
estetic
ADMIN

...shocks... I should really get around to adding those. But yea, no shocks up front - being a cruiser and burn out machine I never really notice. Has never felt out of control even cruising the highway