Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 12-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
godzilla

Vehicle: hardbody 1996
Default 350Z Turbo Turbo Double Cab

this is my "other " build . got hold of a double cab with blown diesel motor for cheap. the pickup had rolled and was very poorly repaired. and not well looked after. the load bin was good, the roof was out of shape and the doors were bent to fill the gap of the crap repair. i stripped i all down lucky i had 2 verry good front doors and found 2 rear doors for cheap.the old broken motor and box i sold and made back what i payed for the double cab wich put me back to a free rig.so the cost for me was only for the rear doors. i sent the pickup to a guy who does body straightening and does a great job with pumping out roofs.and lighning it all up wich makes body work alot easier.

notice the massive gaps between the top of the door and the roof. the doors in this pic are the good doors the bent doors i already removed.

this is before we claened and degreaes everything.

roof nicely pumped out . we still worked a coupla hours on geting it straght as possible.

most of the body work taking shape. the reason the full strip down and pprimer is cause ill be doing a cull color changed from white to Metalic green( paint i got from a friend for another build but never used) also plannin on putting in a cream leather interior from a Toyota Fortuner SUV

as you can see i have the american /japenes fenders wich is not found in South AfricaBUT in actual fact they called SANI fenders her we had alocally built nissan SUVcalled a NIssan SANI (i owned/built a few already) they are actually fiberglass and not steel. they became so scaerce i had a mould made so i can replroduce them when i neeed to for builds or sell.
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
godzilla

if you take a good look youll notice the paint looks more blue than green.i had about 2 Litres of Metalic blue left from a range rover i did so i mixed 2l of the met green with the blue and used it as a cover coat to cover the primer and check for blemishes and scratches i missed.there were a few lol.

Last edited by godzilla; 12-24-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
godzilla

so up to this point i was just going to convert to anormal NA VG30 and slap on some rims and make it look good, these Pickups are still in High demand here as it can be a work and family vehicle. BUT then a buddie of mine offered me a VG30DETT from a 300ZX he was had lying around. My buddie and i have been friend s since our teens and we in our 40s now so we more like brothers. only problem was the motor had been partly disasebled from a blown head gaskets but non the less it was all there. got the motor back to work (all my build happen at work NOT at home my wife would kill me if she knew what i had there and how much money spet on the builds and she never really knows how many pickups i have as she never comes to my work. we own a Filing station and a little shop as a family buisnes between my dad and I. we have a massive workshop but we rent it out to a land rover mecanic and a massive yard we just parked our cars. i started buying building and selling pickups and other cars and then a year back i turned a hobby into a buisness. i buy unwanted damaged or loose mad wheels , i refubish them put on some nice tyres and sell them as a second hand complete refurbished set. i also buy and sell other /any carp i can make money on.
coming back to the motor i would need to be rebuilt, the twin turbos needed to be rebuilt too as they had major play in them.
just as i was about to start on the rebuild i got offerd a VQ30DET motor verry cheap. ITs not Exacltly a 350z motor as those are NA and 3.5L but it makes it easier to explain to dumbasses what motor type it is. thie motor is from a nissan Cedric .

for this build ill need a 350Z or 370Z gearbox wich are very expensive down here a 4L V6 Navara wich runs a VQ40 version of this motor this box can also bolt on and all of them are 6 speed but again expensive. i do have a 350Z bel housing as seen in the last pic and was planning on bolting that up to a VG30 Pickup/300zx box but as i found the 350z bellhousing is alot longer than the vg30 bell housing so a straigh bolt in will not work.ill have to cut off the front section of both bell housings and swop theem and weld back in plac so i can have a vg30 box with a 350z front section welded inplace but thes is not an easy task every thing needs to be right lined up for it to work properly.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
godzilla

since i have both VG30DETT and VQ30DET motors i was thinking of swoping over the intake and exhast manis form the TT to the VQ to make it one of nissan "race only" VQ30DETT . i would have to relocate the battery to the back any way and i wont have the big metal air filter in the way either so that clears up space. the plan is to use the exhast manis but swop the side and use them upside down wich would inturn point the flange up and forward to the front. putting the turbos sort of hefind the lights this would also shorten the pipe work. id also use 2 narower longer intercoolers for each turbo and make them each feed the opposite bank of cylinders since they will have there own intakes .
Old 12-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
godzilla

after spending the day painting 11am to 4pm here are the results. as you can see everything is well coverd with peacock green. the fenders are just loosely hung on so

i could cover evey inch with color.

this is just after applying the clear but before a buff. i left it for a week in the sun before we buffed. the result i was pretty happy with for what i started out with. other parts not pictured are the tailgate and front bumper that also got a lick of paint. the parts i forgot about was the tal gate handels and hinges . the canopy door handels beading and grill might get a metalic charcoal color. well see
Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #6
godzilla

future plans fing gearbox, mate up and drip in the motor wire up reasemple and get mobile.do the interior andfinish assembling all the rubbers and accesories.
since the bakkie will be my daily and will most likely tow the drift pick up to events ill lower it a little ,convert to 5 stud , ad in rear disk brakes, and thats about it. i wanted it to look factory like it was meant to be like that and hence the STD nissan color.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

Another double cab...I just want to cry.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #8
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

I would love to score fenders and front fascia for one of those to put on a Pathfinder here.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote