Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Suspension

Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
andysarcade

Vehicle: Nissan SEV6 94
Default Leaf Spring bushings and energy suspension kit

hi all..

I got the full bushings kit from Energy suspension which included the 7.2103 kit for the rear leafs. Last night i installed a bunch of them in the rear shackle. (2WD '94 SEV6).

My question was tho, i used 2x 2292 bushings for the top of the shackle, and 2x2293 for the bottom of the shackle, and re-used the old sleeve, but there was still play in this fitting, the old sleeve does not fill the ID of the 2293's..

Is this normal? i wasn't expecting to have any play there at all, kinda disappointing there is now, but that can't be right?

The 'instructions' they provide in the kit do not state which bushing goes where, so i was wondering if anyone who has done this has any specific advice on it?

thanks
andysarcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Wish I had an answer. I'm upgrading my rear leafs and installing energy bushings but not for a couple months. Try calling energy customer service if no one chimes in.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
andysarcade

I actually figured this all out today, I completed the front leaf bushing installation and realised the sleeve was for the rear, so i had to undo yesterdays work to do the replacement. I looked on these forums but did not find any kit-specific info, so i hope this helps others, would have saved me some head scratching!

The problem here is that the photo that energy shows on their website is this :

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/7.2103

the photo shows the new sleeves inside the 2291 bushings, THIS IS MISLEADING - they do not go together!

So, for future reference, it goes like this :

Energy Suspension kit 7.2103 :

2291 x2 = Front leaf spring eye - remove old, clean, install new (with grease)

2292 x2 = Rear upper shackle to body, remove old, clean, install new (with grease)

2293 x2 = Rear leaf spring eye to shackle. Press out old rubber/inner sleeve/outer sleeve - so that you end up with a bare leaf spring eye. clean, grease up, install bushings Then also install the provided sleeve.

I had to unbolt the tailpipe and tie it up out the way as the rear shackle cannot be removed with it in place. ('94 SEV6 2WD)

Swear and curse a bit during re-assembly, and you're done. I'm a complete novice, but with the $100 press tool, i did this job in about 4 hours on one side, I tried to do everything without removing the spring from the axle, but in the end, that ended up being what i had to do because of needing to change the sleeve. I'm sure others can do it quicker, i'm not looking to set any records, and you can bet that when i do the opposite side of the truck I will do it in less than half the time! I have a new set of shocks on their way, so i'm going to wait until those are in and do everything at once.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Thanks for sharing. Glad you figured it out. I'm about to order mine from same site.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

i remember the 2103 number now that you posted lol

i had a hell of a time getting the sleeves off the truck. it was a breeze getting them out of the springs. it was a freakin nightmare with no press. all i had was a propane torch, a chisel and a sawsall.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
andysarcade

Another word of warning, i actually thought i was getting rubber/graphite impregnated bushings when i ordered black, but it turns out they were poly. I clicked on their 'red or black' info button and they mentioned the difference, but it seems they only sell poly for these kits.

Also, i need more of the grease, i used most of it up on just that one side, i was being liberal because i do not want to be hearing squeeks Does anyone know if i can grab it from a local auto parts store?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Bolo619

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

will these bushings work for drop leafs?
Bolo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
86.5KC

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysarcade View Post
Another word of warning, i actually thought i was getting rubber/graphite impregnated bushings when i ordered black, but it turns out they were poly. I clicked on their 'red or black' info button and they mentioned the difference, but it seems they only sell poly for these kits.

Also, i need more of the grease, i used most of it up on just that one side, i was being liberal because i do not want to be hearing squeeks Does anyone know if i can grab it from a local auto parts store?
I ordered a tub of it from Amazon. Just go onto the ES store and look up their part number for the grease.
I was doing all of the bushings, and like you I used up all of the little packs that came in the kit doing only one side.... so the amazon option was just the quickest way to continue for me.
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
86.5KC

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo619 View Post
will these bushings work for drop leafs?
Yes, they fit the Belltech leaves that I put on my truck last year. The eyelets on the leaves are the same size.
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #10
guther

Vehicle: 1992 D21

Great reference. We'll be working on buddy's 1994 SE V6 right after we finished installing the new AT tires from Discounttire and centerline wheels for the current truck project. We'll take a look at Energy Suspension kit.
guther is offline   Reply With Quote