Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-19-2020, 12:44 AM   #1
BlackPlott

Vehicle: 95 Hardbody XE 4wd
Default Newbie needing some help

Iíve had my 95 Hardbody for 6 years now. One hell of a dependable truck. I took it over some small pines the other day and when I got home I noticed the rubber hose/wire hanging down. I crawled under it last night but could not identify where the end of the cable was supposed to be. Iíve tried to find what that hose/wire is, but havenít had any luck. So Iím gonna go with old reliable here at IN. Ive used you guys knowledge for a long time, if anyone can help me identify what that is hanging from my truck Iíd appreciate it. Iíve attached a picture of said wire/hose/whatever the hell you call it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E5A29440-E82C-40AD-B6A5-CBC5B61C267D.jpeg (3.22 MB, 27 views)
BlackPlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:59 AM   #2
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

Emergency brake cable? Hopefully isn't the (hydraulic) brake line!
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BlackPlott (02-19-2020), jp2code (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #3
BlackPlott

I drove it back home going between 45-60. Drove it down the mountain and all the way back home with no problem. The ebrake has stopped working, so that is a likely candidate. That was something I looked into but none of the photos I saw resembled the one on my truck. Thank you LugNut for the quick reply. I’ll look more into that.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 AM   #4
Jimmy_the_cow
An actual cow.

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 Z24 (8plug)

Looks like the ebrake like to me too.
Jimmy_the_cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BlackPlott (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
BlackPlott

Thanks Jimmy. Any idea where the end of the hose connects? Is it on the frame? I looked and felt around but never did see anything.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:04 AM   #6
Jimmy_the_cow
An actual cow.

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 Z24 (8plug)

sadly your going to have to jack it up, put jack stands under it. grab a flash light and crawl under it. look around, and you'll see a broken end, and another broken end.

Then you just have to make the 2 ends together. use.... Tiny U bolts? like for securing cables?
Jimmy_the_cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:38 AM   #7
BlackPlott

Thanks again Jimmy. I’ll get to work on it this weekend and update how it goes.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

That is DEFINITELY the emergency brake cable. You have a single cable going along under the truck, which goes to a 'Y' sort of setup, and then splits into two cables, one going to each rear wheel.

Somewhere along the way, the cable has snapped.

If you can't fix it right now, your best bet is remove the offending parts so they don't drag or tangle in the driveline somehow. Do NOT toss out the old parts or any of the hardware, bolts, etc. You may need them to do the repair later.

Then, for a while, carry two (not one) rocks, heavy pieces of wood, or actual wheel stops to place behind (or in front of, depending on whether you are facing uphill or downhill) when you park the truck.

Then...start exploring options on repairs/replacement.

Do you have the 1995 Factory Service Manual? (Not Chilton's, I mean the FSM.) If not, send me a private message and I will give you my email. I can't do the FSM in the private message function. You can blow up and print pictures from it easily. Resolution is 300DPI, making it easy to blow up individual pages with clarity for your printer.

NOTE: Here is the link to the 300 dpi image of your e-brake setup at Imgur dot com. I didn't post it here at IN because it would fill the page. Simply download the image to your computer, and then when you print it up on regular size paper, select the print option 'Fit to Printable Area'. Should help.

Link to image: https://imgur.com/Tm1YytR NOTE: I checked your picture again. Looks like your cable snapped BEFORE it reaches the Y connector. I'm not sure if this is bad or good, but I will bet when you crawl under there, you will find that the Y is still mounted and the two cables are still going to the rear wheels from there. Maybe you are just snapped where the main cable reaches the Y. Might be able to fix that, but I am not the expert around here on e brakes.

By the way, the FSM only has that single page on the e brake. FSM is for the 95 truck AND the Pathy. Separate page for Pathy, so that is YOUR page in the image. There are no actual replacement instructions I could find in the manual though. Just that one page. Basically, your e brake is just a single cable hooked to your e brake lever. It runs back and hooks to a Y thing with a spring on it. From the Y, it splits into two other cables, one to each wheel. There are bolt mounts to the truck along the way to keep the whole thing off the ground. There is also an adjusting bolt for tension on the cable itself, which fortunately is NOT near the lever you pull. It is about in the center of the cable, an open threaded bolt with a nut or two or something. Pulls on the spring, adjusts the tension. Always adjust with the brake OFF. You want the cable just very slightly loose, so the brakes don't drag. Test tension by wiggling on the two cables BEHIND the Y connector. The adjusting nut/bolt thing does both at the same time. Better to leave them a little loose than too tight. If the e brake doesn't work after the first adjustment, just tighten the adjuster a little bit more...but don't go overboard.

No big deal, but you might want to add to your VEHICLE thing near your name whether it is 4WD and either XE or SE. Manual or auto. Helps sometimes when you ask questions. As far as your e brake cable(s) you are in luck because you can buy them through most parts outlets. Aftermarket support is somewhat better starting with the 1990 model year on these D21's.

Welcome to Infamous Nissan!

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 02-19-2020 at 09:01 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BlackPlott (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
BlackPlott

Thanks SciFi. That’s a lot of help. I had been carrying a small piece of wood, or what we call a “scotch” around here. It’ll be nice to have an ebrake again.
The truck is a 95 extended cab XE 4wd. I’ll be sure and add it to my handle.
Thanks again to all you guys for your help and fast replies.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPlott View Post
Thanks SciFi. That’s a lot of help. I had been carrying a small piece of wood, or what we call a “scotch” around here. It’ll be nice to have an ebrake again.
The truck is a 95 extended cab XE 4wd. I’ll be sure and add it to my handle.
Thanks again to all you guys for your help and fast replies.
4WD XE and King Cab? Cool. No electric window switches or mirror electrics to replace. They are overrated and if you ditched an SE truck into the lake the windows probably wouldn't open. Sometimes manual is good. I like some of the SE options, but not all of them. Electric windows I will not drive. Good for you not having them on your XE. Do you have AC and is it working okay for you?

You are running six cylinder, right?

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote