Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM   #11
suburbboy

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1994

Quick update: today I finished stage one of the process. Managed to get my hands on a couple grinders, grinded out all the surface rust I could find. There's two layers to the panels and I'm having a hard time removing the rust from the back layer. Any suggestions? So far I'm considering either using spray can rust remover or POR 15 and then rubberizing.

After grinding out all the surface rust, I applied a coat of POR 15 Metal Prep, let sit for 30 minutes and then washed off. Did I do that right?

Next steps (from what I'm thinking), put in Bondo Self Adhesive body patches (I'll definitely need more than I was planning), hammer in the areas I'm working on, apply Evercoat, sand, apply Bondo Gold, sand again, primer, paint, clear coat. Does that sound right?

As someone who's doing this all for the first time, I'd love any input, suggestions, or advice. Thanks!
suburbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #12
suburbboy

Today was a day of learning. I sanded out the final spots of surface rust that I could, applied Metal Ready, then put on Evercoat, Bondo Gold, and primer (to the major rust hole). I've attached a picture of the product as it is right now (still need to paint and clear coat).

I'm still having problems figuring out what to do with the inside rust (there's no rust in the wheel wells or anything, but in the sheet metal immediately behind the fenders I can tell there's rust). Can't really reach the area with a paint brush. Do I just rubberize?

Also, having a hell of a time figuring out the exact colour of the paint. I don't have the manual anymore and all my papers say is "Blue". Anyone know where I could figure out what the exact colour was/figure out where to find it?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #13
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

hey man, that looks like one hell of a good job! Nissan didnt put out many colours on these things, so a paint shop should be able to colour match the shit out of it really easy.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
suburbboy

Thanks man!

I've since stumbled on a site (through a little more in-depth forum searching) called http://www.nissanreference.com/truck and I think I've narrowed it down to Sapphire Blue (TK3), which the shop 2 mins down the street from me has! Do you recommend clear coating after painting?

Any thoughts on what to do about the inner sheet metal rust on the fenders?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

aside from cutting the panel away, fixing the rust and welding a new panel back on? no idea how to get in to a small crack like that. sand blast maybe? that is if it can get up in there, and get out.
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #16
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Hey man, no idea about the clear coat, but I got a nice 2 pac job done and I didn't want it. Some shops will try to stiff u on price saying clear coat is better and more expensive etc. Don't believe it.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:53 AM   #17
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Congrats on diving in and going at it.

For the color, you can run the VIN if there's no data card in the door jamb that shows color code.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #18
suburbboy

First fender is officially done! Lot's of trial and error, definitely not body shop level, but hey I did it all at home with no prior autobody experience!

Colour matches (enough lol), I probably should have sanded more after priming and my spraying technique could use some work, but the next three fenders will only get better.

I'm noticing a fair amount of rust in the undercarriage, I applied POR 15 Metal Ready then POR 15, is that the best I can do? Any tips on applying POR 15 to the undercarriage without it dripping on me LOL (had to sand off some skin today haha)