Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
Infadus

Vehicle: 1996 Hardbody dob cab
Default Turn signal problems

hello everybody, i've been stalking these forums for a long time, never had any trouble with my 96 hardbody but now the turn signals work for some time then shut off as soon as i make the turn (thats normal), the problem is they dont come back on again until you turn the engine off and on, i've changed the relay, the fuse, but nothing seems wrong, they were working fine a few months ago so i dont have a clue on whats going on any advice would be apreciated.

thanks.
Infadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,206 Posts

Never heard of this one before. Do the hazard lights work during the turn signal failure? This could possibly be the hazard switch, it's the first component in the circuit after the fuse. The only 2 things I could imagine causing this would be the hazard switch and flasher unit. If the problem is pretty predictable we can troubleshoot it a multimeter if you have one. You might try disconnecting and reconnecting the hazard switch during a failure to see if that "resets" the failure in the same manner that the ignition switch does.
alabama_lowlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Infadus (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
Infadus

thanks for the quick response, when the problem happens the hazards do the clicking sound, but there are no lights inside the dash or in the outside on. i replaced the flasher and the problem continues,
how can i test it with the multimeter?
i dont think putting on and off the hazards will do since it happens while driving, staying still they seem to work fine, it mostly happens when i turn the wheel hence why im so confused about this issue.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,206 Posts

It sounds like the trick will be getting it to fail in a situation where you are able to troubleshoot it. It's hard to fix what isn't broken. With the unusual conditions required for the failure to occur it's also difficult to draw any firm, logical conclusions. At the most basic level, we're losing voltage or ground somewhere. But if it's not failing while you're checking it, obviously we won't know where it's missing. You need to do whatever you can to get it to fail and then park where you can troubleshoot it.

Start by inspecting the wiring at the hazard switch, the flasher unit above the pedals, and the turn signal switch. There is also a joint connector, M142 near the center of the diagram, which appears to be in the area of the left kick panel above or behind the fuse box. Make sure the connections are tight, that each wire is firmly seated into the connector, and that there is no obvious damage or discoloration. Pull on the individual wires to make sure. You might find the problem without needing it to fail. If all the wiring looks good, you'll need to make it fail.

Assuming that the lights are failing and would stay broken long enough to work on it, this is how I would go about finding the source. Leave the connectors plugged up and just poke the meter lead into the back of the socket. Turn on the hazard lights. Hopefully they will not be working.

Check for 12vdc at the hazard switch on the orange wire and the red/yellow wire.

Check for 12vdc on the green wire. My guess is that you'll be missing the power to the green wire. If that is the case, check for 12vdc at the green wire on the turn signal switch. If it is also missing there check for 12vdc at the green wire on the flasher unit.

If you have have 12vdc on the green wire at the hazard switch, check for 12vdc on the gray/blue and gray/red wires on the hazard switch.

This should be enough to get the ball rolling. I won't type out a troubleshooting tree for every possible scenario but these checks should reveal something and narrow down the search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3716.jpg (19.4 KB, 6 views)
alabama_lowlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Infadus (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

I would lean with the hazard sw...
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

replace the indicator stalk.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
Infadus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
It sounds like the trick will be getting it to fail in a situation where you are able to troubleshoot it. It's hard to fix what isn't broken. With the unusual conditions required for the failure to occur it's also difficult to draw any firm, logical conclusions. At the most basic level, we're losing voltage or ground somewhere. But if it's not failing while you're checking it, obviously we won't know where it's missing. You need to do whatever you can to get it to fail and then park where you can troubleshoot it.

Start by inspecting the wiring at the hazard switch, the flasher unit above the pedals, and the turn signal switch. There is also a joint connector, M142 near the center of the diagram, which appears to be in the area of the left kick panel above or behind the fuse box. Make sure the connections are tight, that each wire is firmly seated into the connector, and that there is no obvious damage or discoloration. Pull on the individual wires to make sure. You might find the problem without needing it to fail. If all the wiring looks good, you'll need to make it fail.

Assuming that the lights are failing and would stay broken long enough to work on it, this is how I would go about finding the source. Leave the connectors plugged up and just poke the meter lead into the back of the socket. Turn on the hazard lights. Hopefully they will not be working.

Check for 12vdc at the hazard switch on the orange wire and the red/yellow wire.

Check for 12vdc on the green wire. My guess is that you'll be missing the power to the green wire. If that is the case, check for 12vdc at the green wire on the turn signal switch. If it is also missing there check for 12vdc at the green wire on the flasher unit.

If you have have 12vdc on the green wire at the hazard switch, check for 12vdc on the gray/blue and gray/red wires on the hazard switch.

This should be enough to get the ball rolling. I won't type out a troubleshooting tree for every possible scenario but these checks should reveal something and narrow down the search.
Thanks i'll try to do all that, thanks for your responses really informative and well explained (like a boss on hardbodys lol)

for h.stickeye I replaced that too :/