Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
nothingtoseehere

Vehicle: 1987 z24i 4x4
Exclamation 1986.5 hardbody z24, messed up ECCS really really bad, looking for advice.

here's what happened, stupid idiot thing to do. wanted to read diagnostics on the ECCS/ECU/EGI beneath the passenger seat, this is a 1986.5 z24, sweet, thought i had to do the screw one way then the other, come to find out i was just unscrewing a screw that's part of the computer, because this is the older ECU which you just run diagnostics through by pumping the clutch, ect.

so the ECU lights up like operation, at the screw contact, sparks, the fuel pump goes on and off, like it should, because the ECU is turning on and off, then the ECU suddenly has no power. probably short circuited or something...

i go look at the relays, realize there's a green one in a blue port and a blue one in a green port, i switch em, see if the ECU comes on, no, still dead.

then i open it up, get the voltmeter, register that the 12vs is coming through to the computer, so it's definitely the computer, then i poke the voltmeter around looking for the power break and i find that when i put the ground point on the three pronged rods that go into the board, that were directly impacted by my unscrewing the wrong screw, eureka, the ECU powers on, fuel pump engages, but then there's weird clicking in the relays, i decide to try and start the truck.

truck goes, no, like it electricuted itself. no there's no power, it's got power when i hook it up to a battery charger.

now, any perspective on how badly i've messed up? i put the relays back to their original positions, that didn't do anything...

thanks for yr future perspective, it's really helpful to be able to ask for help.

*sorry moderator for posting this in two places, i just thought it'd help me get more perspective, hope it's ok.*

Last edited by nothingtoseehere; 01-31-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: bad title
nothingtoseehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

may have burned the circuit board, have you checked the fusible links( at the batt)?
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
nothingtoseehere

honestly, i have looked at it, it's coming off of the positive battery terminal, but i can see no way to indicate the issue being there...

furthermore, this morning, the battery was sending power back into the cab, got the ding light, however, no fuel pump because the ECU is still offline.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
nothingtoseehere

by circuit board, do you mean the ECCS, the computer that is used to run relays and check diagnostics, or is there another apparatus?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

the circuit board inside the ecu
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
nothingtoseehere

ya, i agree, what's weird is that there is no visible sign of damage and it still gets power when i arc that diode or triode or whatever. all of the solders appear fine, i don't know. i will just end up getting a scrapped one.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #7
nothingtoseehere

Default advanced analysis of my problem

HTML Code:
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showpost.php?p=497677&postcount=32