Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #41
nothingtoseehere
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: the woods
Posts: 45
Vehicle: 1987 z24i 4x4
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
post your vin up we can decode it for better info.

but it looks like a throttle body, i believe the whole electro injected thing was just a fancy way of saying that.

oh btw, Z24's rule! unbreakable, we got these in australia right up until 1992, then ka's came out, but were less popular.

here's the vin: jn6nd11y2hw002620

what i have found by looking it up, is the truck is an 87. what i don't understand is that it says it is a 2.4l 4cylinder, but, unless i'm wrong, having six spark plugs to six wires to six places on a distributor implies 6 cylinders?

the part that is strange is the computer that is in there is the one that goes with the 2.4l engines, when i look up the part number? but the truck did run while using that. my friend drove it all around?
nothingtoseehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #42
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 48
Posts: 8,477
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,204
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtoseehere View Post
here's the vin: jn6nd11y2hw002620

what i have found by looking it up, is the truck is an 87. what i don't understand is that it says it is a 2.4l 4cylinder, but, unless i'm wrong, having six spark plugs to six wires to six places on a distributor implies 6 cylinders?

the part that is strange is the computer that is in there is the one that goes with the 2.4l engines, when i look up the part number? but the truck did run while using that. my friend drove it all around?
Z24 had 2 plugs per cylinder, so you should see 8 plug wires.

Either that, or you have a V6.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Free Service Manuals: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nothingtoseehere (02-18-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #43
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 48
Posts: 8,477
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,204
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts
Default

This is a VIN decoder for my 1994. I'm not sure if it'll work for your 86.5





I'd say Japanese, Z24, Nissan Truck, Regular Cab, 4x4.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Free Service Manuals: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nothingtoseehere (02-18-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #44
YEPEE
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,561
Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V
Thanks: 156
Thanked 229 Times in 202 Posts
Default

I decoded his vin, Z24 (8 plugs), born 11/86
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nothingtoseehere (02-18-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #45
86.5KC
 
86.5KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 133
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd
Thanks: 12
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEPEE View Post
I decoded his vin, Z24 (8 plugs), born 11/86
Hey Guys......
He has a photo of his engine bay at post #20 of this thread.....

NOTHINGTOSEEHERE
YOUR TRUCK IS A 4 CYLINDER Z24.


It has Eight(8) Spark plug wires. Four on each side of the head. Count them again.
If you found an 87 4 cylinder truck in the junk yard, it should have an identical ECU to the one in your truck if the rest of the truck is the same as yours. Go back and verify that the part numbers of the two ECU are the same. If they are then you have found a replacement for the one in question. Hopefully that will solve your issue.

86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nothingtoseehere (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #46
nothingtoseehere
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: the woods
Posts: 45
Vehicle: 1987 z24i 4x4
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Alright alright, thanks everyone, it's all true.
Here's another question, probably I already know the answer, but, well, I found an ECU from a 2wheel drive z24 mine is MECS g120 this is MECS g121... my truck is 4x4... any bets that this ECU won't work?
nothingtoseehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #47
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 999
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Thanks: 29
Thanked 136 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtoseehere View Post
Alright alright, thanks everyone, it's all true.
Here's another question, probably I already know the answer, but, well, I found an ECU from a 2wheel drive z24 mine is MECS g120 this is MECS g121... my truck is 4x4... any bets that this ECU won't work?
Yes, there are differences. You should go to eBay for information on this type of stuff. It's practically the only place you can compare units for proper fit.

I am not an ECU expert, but I know a FEW things about them. Some models are plug and play. Some have to be 'flashed' by the dealer. (Most are plug and play) Some are for trucks with auto trans, or California emissions, etc. You should compare the one you bought with similar units at eBay and see what the match-up looks like for you. The sellers there often have better information on these parts than you can find elsewhere. The best bet is to match model for model, though. The good news is that if you buy a matching one at eBay (they have them, I looked) you won't have to pay that $100 core charge since you can send yours back to them as the core, assuming the one you have won't work on your truck.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #48
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 48
Posts: 8,477
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,204
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts
Default

If you can get the ECU for a good price or if it comes with a 1-week or more return window, I'd say go for it. These are simple to swap out, and after the swap it will either crank up or it won't. If it cranks, take her for a little test drive to make sure your gears shift and make sure you push all the buttons to activate all of your truck's parts to test them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Yes, there are differences. You should go to eBay for information on this type of stuff. It's practically the only place you can compare units for proper fit.

I am not an ECU expert, but I know a FEW things about them. Some models are plug and play. Some have to be 'flashed' by the dealer. (Most are plug and play) Some are for trucks with auto trans, or California emissions, etc. You should compare the one you bought with similar units at eBay and see what the match-up looks like for you. The sellers there often have better information on these parts than you can find elsewhere. The best bet is to match model for model, though. The good news is that if you buy a matching one at eBay (they have them, I looked) you won't have to pay that $100 core charge since you can send yours back to them as the core, assuming the one you have won't work on your truck.
Your experience with eBay sellers is a lot different from mine.

I see listings that scrap dealers usually have out there. The most they can tell about it is what they saw on the truck when they pulled it off. Usually, all they have is the limited information Jose wrote on a piece of paper when he pulled the part because Ann is the one at the desk who does the eBay listing write-ups, and she doesn't know the difference between a manual and an automatic transmission.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Free Service Manuals: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #49
nothingtoseehere
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: the woods
Posts: 45
Vehicle: 1987 z24i 4x4
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

yeah, i found one for a real good price, i went for it because it's essentially the same model. but the 2wd thing... anyways, i just wanted to share this pdf i found, it's a list of nissan models and the ECUs that go with them. in case anyone might run into this type of situation. but yeah, generally what i have gathered is contrary to what i expected, as in, it seems, the ECUs are rather specific, but, in a few days i will see just how.
thanks again. here's the link
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB94-097.pdf
nothingtoseehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (02-20-2018), Midnight Tech (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #50
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 48
Posts: 8,477
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,204
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts
Default

Cool link! Thanks for that.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Free Service Manuals: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.