Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 12-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Megagwar

Vehicle: 1992 Nissan D21
Default Starting Issues

I know thereís tons of threads on this. Iíve read all that I could find. So Iím sorry about starting up another one. But itís starting to get frustrating.

1993 HB
Ka24e - 5 speed

Things replaced:
-new battery
-new starter (tested and works) truck starter
-new clutch safety switch (the one under clutch pedal)
-new starter relay (the one on passenger fender side)
-new fusible links
-new ignition switch (the one in steering column cover)

Nothing. Not a single crank, click, noise. Nada.

Is there something Iím missing? Should check? Pointers?
Megagwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Try bypassing the starter relay and see if the starter cranks, also check the thick power wire going to the starter , one of my trucks the wire was almost cut in two

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #3
Megagwar

The end of the thick wire popped off, but I put it back on and pinched it down over the copper wires good.

Could you remind me how to bypass? Don’t you go straight to battery terminal? I ask cause my battery is in the bed.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagwar View Post
The end of the thick wire popped off, but I put it back on and pinched it down over the copper wires good.
Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagwar View Post
Could you remind me how to bypass? Donít you go straight to battery terminal? I ask cause my battery is in the bed.
Remember, there are different types of problems
#1. Starter does not spin the engine
#2. Starter spins the engine, but the engine does not start
#3. Remember that "she won't turn over is a sex problem

OK, so apparently you have #1 and want to bypass the wiring to see if battery can spin the starter/engine. Put transmission in neutral or park, set hand brake. With a thick piece of insulated wire (or bare wire or screwdriver for the brave), momentarily touch/jump the large terminal on the starter to the smaller terminal on the starter. Do NOT touch that wire or screwdriver blade to bare metal on the starter or elsewhere while doing this, sparks will happen and things get REAL hot REAL quick, potential danger. The solenoid should kick into place on the flywheel and spin the engine if battery, connections, and starter are good.

The small wire/terminal at the starter should have positive voltage every time the key is held in the "start" position.

Voltage measure across the battery terminals while attempting to crank the engine should be over 9.6 volts a few seconds into trying with good battery and connections/cables.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Megagwar (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Post 12 in my thread linked below:

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/show...t=35527&page=2

When I say bypass the starter relay I do not mean doing what previous post says, I'm saying to touch a wire from the positive terminal to the output of the starter relay (small wire) to see if the starter engages, if it does the relay is bad.

You say the starter was "new" was it a new reman starter or a NEW starter? Reman starters suck, and in my experience with the reman starters they test fine in the store than when you install it, the engine starts, you drive somewhere, go to restart the truck and get nothing !

IF the starter is a reman, best thing is to get a BRAND NEW ONE ! Rockauto has Pure Energy brand, brand new, reasonably priced, I have used 2 of them in different NIssan's and both are perfect, no problems.

, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 01-01-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Megagwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
Post 12 in my thread linked below:

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/show...t=35527&page=2

When I say bypass the starter relay I do not mean doing what previous post says, I'm saying to touch a wire from the positive terminal to the output of the starter relay (small wire) to see if the starter engages, if it does the relay is bad.

You say the starter was "new" was it a new reman starter or a NEW starter? Reman starters suck, and in my experience with the reman starters they test fine in the store than when you install it, the engine starts, you drive somewhere, go to restart the truck and get nothing !

IF the starter is a reman, best thing is to get a BRAND NEW ONE ! Rockauto has Pure Energy brand, brand new, reasonably priced, I have used 2 of them in different NIssan's and both are perfect, no problems.
i will give the bypass trick a try today.

it is a reman. ill go get a new one if the bypass deal does not work. i did a 240sx trans swap and had bought a brand new denso starter for a 240. doesnt fit right and now have the truck starter in. fits fine. so im spent on funds for starters at the moment. but ive seen the pure energy starters and ill go that route. rent is due today, but get paid thursday. so ill order then if it comes down to it.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Megagwar

I read on another post on IN that if I get 12V at the small wire/post on the starter, that would rule out ignition switch or relays.
I measured voltage and didn’t get anything.
I bypassed the start relay by putting jumpers from the 2 plugs as I saw in another post here on IN.
Went to measure voltage at the small wire/post, and got 12V! Went to try starting the truck, nothing. Nada. No cranking or clinking.

troubleshoot continues....
Old 01-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

bypassing the relay by running power from the battery to the output of the relay should make the starter crank (even with the key off), Have you tried turning the key to "Start" and tapping lightly on the starter housing?

Just noticed you said the battery is in the bed. Did you relocate the battery or was it like that? Was the large wire that goes to the starter extended to go to the new battery location? How were the wires from the original location extended to reach the new battery location?

Old 01-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
Megagwar

I’ve tried the tapping, but that was awhile ago.

Yea the battery is in the bed. I got a battery relocation kit from Summit Racing that’s SCCA approved. 0 gauge wire and all.
I relocated the battery cause the battery location in the engine bay was all rusted and rotted out. Battery was about to fall thru and out.
I have the positive cable from the battery ran thru the cab and connected to a fuse box/distribution box that clamps down onto the positive cable and has 3 ports on the opposite end. Ran a battery cable out from the other end that is connected to the starter cable and fusible links. Which are bolted together. Had it running like that before the original starter went out on me.
I was thinking of extending the starter cable to reach that fuse/distributing box along with the fusible links.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #10
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,471 Times in 1,206 Posts

It's sounding like a ground is missing. How is the battery grounded? Is the engine still grounded to the body?
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote