Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 12-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
DSmith

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Pickup
Default Oil light not working right

Hello all. I am not sure if this should be here, but I believe it is an electrical issue.

I have a 1995 Pickup and I cannot seem to figure it out no matter how much interwebs searching I have done.

The issue is the Oil light. It stays on when the key is turned off. It is NOT on when driving or idling. The oil is full. I think it is the Oil pressure sensor is bad or possible a bad wire or perhaps the ignition switch is bad? If the ignition switch was bad, I would think all my ignition sources would stay on though.

It is draining my battery (which is a new AGM battery). I was thinking at first, the battery was bad, but after replacing it, it still comes on when the key is off. Then I thought it was my alternator going bad (I had something VERY similar going on when my voltage regulator went bad on my bug many years ago, but then I remembered it only happened when driving.)

So I can only think that the wire is shorting out (not so much though) or the ignition switch (but nothing else stays on) or the oil pressure switch is bad and sticking open?

Any help would be great!!
DSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,128 Posts

Yeah, this is a pretty unusual problem. The wire going to the switch should not have power unless the key is turned on. If it were an ignition switch problem, one would conclude that the battery light would remain illuminated as well.

The oil pressure switch itself appears to operate properly. It SHOULD be closed when the engine is not producing oil pressure. This is how it provides the ground that turns the light on. You said it goes off while the engine it running, so that means the switch is opening the circuit properly to turn off the light.

Now we have to figure out where the hell the power is coming from. The fuse that supplies the warning lights with power is a 10 amp fuse on the top row, all the way to the right. It should only have power when the ignition is on or in start. Pull that fuse to see if the light goes off. See what happens there and it will narrow down what we need to look for next.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
DSmith

Cool. Will do. But I'm out of town for work until the 23rd. I'll deffinently check it out when I get back
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:15 AM   #4
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

after the fuse check i would remove the column cover and unplug the actual start switch on the left side. that would eliminate any switch problem.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Yeah, this is a pretty unusual problem. The wire going to the switch should not have power unless the key is turned on.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Now we have to figure out where the hell the power is coming from. The fuse that supplies the warning lights with power is a 10 amp fuse on the top row, all the way to the right. It should only have power when the ignition is on or in start. Pull that fuse to see if the light goes off. See what happens there and it will narrow down what we need to look for next.
Yes. I will state that I did have to replace the electrical part of the ignition switch in my '98 Frontier about a decade ago. Occasionally during the night something made contact in the switch, stuff under the dash would energize, and it would discharge the battery completely and I'd need a new one.

At first I just added a 30-amp toggle to cut off all power to the switch, which did work (on a Saturday, no replacement part in town , would need to order). A few years later my daughter and I were replacing the speakers, key was on the floorboard, and we heard that stuff energize under the dash all of a sudden. By that time the electrical part of the switch was readily available so I installed one, problem solved. There are multiple contacts and circuits in that switch, complicated.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
DSmith

I'll get right on these on Friday. Thanks all!!