Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
estomax

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan Pickup 4x4 2.4L
Default differences between '86 and '94 4x4 man transmissions

Hey Guys,

i am swapping a 86 4x4 4 cyl manual transmission into my 94 4 cyl hard body (since my trans crapped out). Has anyone here already compiled a list of differences? One of the first obvious things i noticed was that the 86 has a cable speedometer while my 94 is electronic. Can the electronic sender be plugged in place of the cable sender with no other issues or do i need to swap the transfer case over from the 94 to the 86? Are there other differences i should be aware of?

thanks for any input
Marko
estomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

The sender will fit. Hopefully it's not stuck from corrosion. You may have to change the gear on your output shaft to use the same one, if it's not the same color (color coded).

Should bolt right up. The t-case linkages may be a little different, but the cases are the same, so you can transfer that stuff, too.

I don't think '94 had the crank sensor at the top of the bell housing. I think that started in '96. But if you DO have that, you will need to swap your bell housing. I think you're good, though.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

Keep in mind that if you separate the t-case from the trans, you will loos all the trans oil.
That trans gets GL4 only. (Plenty of threads on here about that topic) I think it takes a little over 4 qts. It doesn't need any overfill, but I always gave mine an additional 1/2 qt. It won't hurt. Just dump 5 qts in through the shifter flange. (Take the whole shifter assembly out. It's easier.) Treat it to a new nylon bushing on the shifter tip, and a new shift boot. The one that goes on the shifter assembly, not the big interior boot.

Use a transmission jack, and strap it down well. If you lower it with the t-cass attached, it is very heavy, and off balance. You can get hurt.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
estomax

thanks for the info reserector, it was a solid pain in the ass to remove the trans. this is the third time now (removed it once on the 94 to change clutch, then again to figure out that it's actually the tranny thats broken) and now removed this one on the 86. i will transfer the parts over from the 94 to the 86 that are not the same and have my 94 back on the road soon i hope!

Marko
Old 01-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
estomax

got the trans and transfer case wrestled up in there again. used a trans jack and a car jack to align it and get it shoved in so bolts could go in. kind of like wrestling a gorilla on my back. only had to move the speed sensor over, everything else looked the same, some casting and part differences but hopefully nothing functional. no crank sensor on either.

cheers
Marko

edit: trucks drives. yay! this saga can end now.

Last edited by estomax; 01-15-2018 at 10:38 PM.