Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #20331
88HD

Vehicle: 88 HD Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
"New" starter installed. Relay just clicks like the starter is dead. WTF!
I wonder if I'm running into the same issue. Starter died and the replacement does not crank with it plugged it. I know the starter, and relay are good and in the meantime I'm starting the truck by touching a wire I ran from the starter to the + terminal.
88HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #20332
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I plan to find out tonight. Let me know if you need a hand with yours. I believe you are just a couple hours up I5 from me.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
88HD (10-09-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #20333
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I suppose I should offer to lend a hand as well. I am roughly equidistant from the both of you. For some reason I reason I suspect the solenoid is junk on both of them. Just a gut feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
SBJ: You are applying for grad school? I know you, man. That's the greatest news I've heard in a while. Go for it. LOL I should embarrass you and tell everyone where you got your degree and your major. I won't, but I think it's very cool. They need more like you out there. Forest Service, who knows? Fed jobs are always good.
Yep, just finished up my application. Right now I'm just going for the certificate and not an actual master's degree or anything. However you can apply it towards a master's degree later if you want. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but it will depend entirely on a combination of income, motivation and whether or not I qualify for any scholarships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
Man I went through so many of those cheap multimeters. The last one I owned broke when it fell off my knee while I was testing some wires on my CBR. Like a 2' drop max and it died. I bought a Fluke 115 and hooooly crap was it worth it.
I've never owned or used a fluke product, although I've heard nothing but great things about them. Mine seem to last for whatever reason. Probably luck. I'm using one of these at the moment:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It's actually pretty nice for how cheap it is and I can't think of anything bad to say about it. Even the leads are quite robust compared the ones HF sells. I actually bought two of them and another set of leads with interchangeable tips. I may buy the nicer variant if this one fails me but for messing around with cars they work fine.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #20334
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Tested the starter at O'Reilly. It had to be wired backwards from what their system wanted to work too. They pretty much guaranteed that any more will also be wired wrong. I'm going to change it up tomorrow and reinstall. Tonight I'm going to test my harness.
VG33i
Old 10-10-2019, 02:34 AM   #20335
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Confirmed again, starter solenoid is wired backwards.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I don't have a problem on my end too as I couldn't get voltage from the solenoid connector with my meter. Gonna change the pin out on the starter tomorrow and see what happens.
VG33i
Old 10-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #20336
88HD

Vehicle: 88 HD Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I've never owned or used a fluke product, although I've heard nothing but great things about them. Mine seem to last for whatever reason. Probably luck. I'm using one of these at the moment:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It's actually pretty nice for how cheap it is
My brother has that same meter, he's also a fan. If it does crap out and you want to upgrade, a Fluke 115 or a 117 will serve you well. Either of those are probably on the high end for what a most people would need, but they're fantastic meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Confirmed again, starter solenoid is wired backwards.

I'm curious, what brand did you buy? The one I installed was a Remy 99202.
88HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #20337
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88HD View Post
I wonder if I'm running into the same issue. Starter died and the replacement does not crank with it plugged it. I know the starter, and relay are good and in the meantime I'm starting the truck by touching a wire I ran from the starter to the + terminal.
Okay...I have posted this notice previously...and I have it from a couple of good sources, one of them an excellent manager at my local Advance Auto Parts. He told me this:

Over the last couple of years, some Chinese companies have jumped into the reman starter business and they are heavily into Nissan. They are buying up the cores by the ton, no kidding...and this is what they are doing with them...

They toss them back together on the cheap and ship them back to the USA (and probably other countries)...giving out these 'lifetime replacement warranties' which are shit. They don't CARE if half of them or more are no good. Once they get your money on a sale, they are more than happy to give you ANOTHER shit starter. They will just take the original shit starter you bought and it will end up back in China...for another shit 'reman' tag...and another sucker sale.

(I apologize for the swearing, but I went down that road once myself)

It's a cute game they play. A real vicious circle. The lesson is: make sure you don't buy any rebuilt or reman starter coming out of China for a Nissan truck these days. Find one done in the USA, or a new one. No more problems. Pick one with the pigtail already installed.

This problem has only emerged over the last two or three years, but it is still happening. Sure, some of them will work. But every time you buy one, you are rolling the dice.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #20338
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Still nada. Gonna check the starter relay tomorrow at work. Blue one on the fender, right?

Relay clicks but that doesn't mean it's doing anything which could be why I never saw voltage at the connector with my meter. Contacts do burn out. See it all the time in various equipment. Usually the contacts can be repaired if the relay can be opened. I'm just going to put power across it and check for burned contacts with a meter.
VG33i
Old 10-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #20339
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Yep, blue one on the passenger side fender well. It's not in the box with all the other relays.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:15 AM   #20340
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,102 Times in 1,017 Posts

Her car fucked up today outside the free towing radius. So when i got home, i went to uhaul, rented a car dolly (told them it was for towing a 69 beetle) and used my 3500 pound truck to pull a 3900 pound lexus back home over 40 miles. It actually ran down the road staying at 65 fairly easy until it had to pull a hill. Then it was gear grabbing madness. And the temp never fluctuated. Thank god for ceramic brakes. They got one hell of a workout stopping a combined 7400 pounds many times in traffic.