Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Nissan Cars

Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody
Default 90 sentra won't start

So my former 90 sentra that I sold to my step daughter and her BF won't start.

She said the engine was making a noise than was running hot, the BF flushed the radiator and than filled it with well water !! The water smelled so bad it was hard for me to describe what it smelled like, I drained it and flushed the system, did not add any coolant yet.

She said the BF changed the oil ( first time in about 20K miles !!!), not very good on preventative maint. that's for sure !!

She told me the engine noise had become less noticeable, the other day she was on her way to our house when she said the temp gauge got to the upper end of hot and than the car back fired and the gauge went down to the bottom (cold), she had to pull over and she checked the radiator and noticed the rad. cap was also cold.

She had the car towed to my house and I started to check things.

Today I pulled the plugs, they were shot so I put new NGK plugs in, I checked for spark at two of the plug wires and it has spark.

I pulled the distributor cap and cranked the engine to make sure the cam was turning, it was.

I pulled the output hose off the fuel filter and had my wife turn the key to on, the fuel pump pumped gas right into the container I was using.

So, car has spark, fuel through the filter, cranks but won't start.

I tried pouring a small amount of gas into the TB but no difference, still won't start.

I checked any fuse related to the ignition and all fuses were good.

I have to test the injector tomorrow, I'm thinking maybe the injector took a crap, I also found a split hose under the intake manifold.

Any other idea's on why it won't start?

No codes in ECU.

I have to get the car back running if I can for her.

Thanks all !!

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 07-20-2014 at 04:58 PM.
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Checked the injector just now, FSM says resistance should be approximately 1-2 ohms, I got 3.4 ohms, so I guess it could be shot !

I have the old injector in storage going to check that one, originally when I replaced the injector it was causing an intermittent problem, I want to see what the resistance is on the old injector, if it is within spec, I'll swap it just to see if the engine will start.

Don't want to order a injector for $60 if it won't fix the problem.

, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,206 Posts

I'm still wondering what's going on with the persistent overheating.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

I did find a hose that blew out, under the intake manifold, a royal PIA to get too !!

It's one of the hoses that feeds coolant into the manifold and it was feeding coolant into the TB but a while back I broke a nipple off one of the larger nipples where the hose connects to the TB, so I had to rig up something so the coolant still would go to the thermal element.

No idea at this point why it would overheat, I replaced the water pump and thermostat a while back.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

I went and got the old injector from my storage, I checked the resistance and it was within spec so I swapped it, still won't start, and I can smell fuel getting into the TB.

I'm at a loss now as to why it won't start, need suggestions.

also tried swapping the module near the coil, no difference, was thinking to pull the valve cover next to see if anything looks weird.

I don't have a comp. tester and I guess that would be something I should check ??

Any other ideas?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Just now went out and pulled one of the new plugs, had my step daughter crank the engine so I could check for spark, had spark.

Pulled out another plug and had her crank the engine, fuel came out of the spark plug hole, I pulled the other 2 plugs out, all 4 were covered with fuel, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and laid a towel across the valve cover so nothing would come out and had her crank the engine over again.

BAD IDEA !! THE TOWEL ALMOST CAUGHT ON FIRE AS I DID NOT UNPLUG THE COIL WIRE !!!

I guess fuel was coming out of the spark plug holes and having the spark plug wires laying there "sparking" set the gas on fire !!! OOPS !!!

Disconnected the coil wire at the coil and than it started raining out so on hold at the moment.

What would cause so much fuel to be dumping into the cylinders?

This is a TBI engine with one injector.

This is the old injector, which may be the reason I replaced it years ago, the engine was stalling on our way home from Tampa one night, finally made it home after a long time.

Wonder if the injector is stuck open?

When I first had her crank the engine to check for spark I could hear what sounded like water leaking, but there is no water in the system, I think it was fuel being dumped into the TB ??

Old 07-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,206 Posts

Could be a blown fuel pressure regulator. I had a blown FPR due to a clogged fuel return line.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Have to maybe put the other injector back in tomorrow see if it does the same thing.
Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Tonight after work, put the plugs back in, cranked the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed to see what would happen, with the gas pedal to the floor it almost sounds like it wants to start.

Put the fuse back in and nothing, I smell fuel, possibly the injector or FPR is shot.

replaced the ignition module and tried to start, no change, put the old ignition module back in, put the other injector back in, same, if I floor the gas and hold it there, almost sounds like it wants to start.

May try tomorrow with fuel pump fuse out, and a shot of starter fluid.

Hate to buy the injector or FPR if it isn't the problem, none of these engines at local junkyards, so can't even try used parts !!

Thanks for any help, appreciate it !

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Today, picked up a can of starter fluid to see if it would start running on that, fuel pump fuse pulled, NOPE.

Put the fuse back in, tried to start it - NOPE

swapped back to the other injector, tried to start - NOPE

Messed with the sparkplug wires, somehow they were not in the right location on the distributor cap, sorted that out, tried to start it - NOPE

swapped the coil with one I had in my storage, tried to start it - NOPE !

Gave up, time to have it towed to my mechanic or I need to pick up a compression tester to check the compression, it has spark and I can see a mist of fuel sprayed into the TB when cranking the engine.

So glad my truck runs !