Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Suspension

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
calicraig
Old skool,,,New Skool...

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan HB
Default Old school "skateboard" HB project. How much clearance do I need over the tires?

OK,,,, Laugh if you want, but I am doing my HB like they did them back in 1989. Big tires sticking out past the fenders.

I have 4 inches of travel now (its @ stock ride height) before the tires hit and I think I could get away with lowering it at least 1.5 inches. Probably 2 inches in the back.

Do drop spindles drop the ride height or just increase the travel so you can jack down the torsion bars?

Is 2-2.5 inches of travel generally a safe clearance for normal driving (short of hitting a speed bump @ 35 mph)?

I intend for this to be a decent handling vehicle (rear sway bar, good shocks all around, and quality performance tires).

Does anybody remember how these old school set ups go??

2016 SE Frontier King Cab
2003 Lexus LS 430
*RIP* 1987 Nissan pick up - "Jane Doe" Her name had not been determined at one point,,,
"Diamond Jane"
"Janissan" for her Japanese heritage

Northern California

"Wanna Scr8pe"
calicraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
1lomofo

Vehicle: 95 Hardbody

wish i remembered, but hell yeah gotta love the old school man.. Shit you may as well find you a truxarossa kit You need a dial tone phone in that bitch!!
1lomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Mr.Ryan
Retired Mod

Vehicle: 1988 std cab HB

yeah 2-1/2 should be good with good shocks as long as you run spindles and drop blocks in back, you prolly want a reverse offset 8" wide wheel with maybe some 225-60"s

Mr.Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
dragwindsor
Rendered Unconcious

Vehicle: 93 Hardbody

Vogues baby, Vogues.
dragwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
ScottXGTR's
Mobile Phone

Vehicle: Crackberry

All depends on the wheel/tire combo. I had some 18s with low pros back in the day that didn't tuck. I went 2" and would occasionally rub a fender on big dips.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
WHATABURGER
Approved Vendor

Vehicle: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado

.... ummm.... cough.. cough.. yeah for some reason I remember the old school setup... LOL

my old setup was 15x8 stamped steel american racing wheels ( couldnt afford hammers) with 50 series sidewall. 195 50 15 I believe. torsion bar loosened all the way. bumpstops taken out, hangers redrilled, frame C notched (with a pipe), 4 inch blocks, only bigs and littles on the leaf springs.. gabriel air shocks for adjustability!!!!

fenders were rolled with a baseball bat... and to cover the warpage we bolted up stainless steel fender trim...

tweed interior, vinyl insets, spray fleck dashboard, graphic equalizer / booster , M&M 8 inch see through subwoofers. color matched shifter, shifter boot, driving lights (with covers), color matched wiper blade (only one like a lamborghini) with double b;lades and wind wings (2 sets) sotck mirrors replaced with baby turbos mounted on the a pillar. swatch shields sunglasses hanging from the colormatched bandana.
N2Deep back to the hotel cranked as loud as you can.

any further questions? ;D
Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
BAMF1500

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody

who can dig up some pics
BAMF1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
$krap_IN_flesh
Duey the MOD

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATABURGER View Post
.... ummm.... cough.. cough.. yeah for some reason I remember the old school setup... LOL

my old setup was 15x8 stamped steel american racing wheels ( couldnt afford hammers) with 50 series sidewall. 195 50 15 I believe. torsion bar loosened all the way. bumpstops taken out, hangers redrilled, frame C notched (with a pipe), 4 inch blocks, only bigs and littles on the leaf springs.. gabriel air shocks for adjustability!!!!

fenders were rolled with a baseball bat... and to cover the warpage we bolted up stainless steel fender trim...

tweed interior, vinyl insets, spray fleck dashboard, graphic equalizer / booster , M&M 8 inch see through subwoofers. color matched shifter, shifter boot, driving lights (with covers), color matched wiper blade (only one like a lamborghini) with double b;lades and wind wings (2 sets) sotck mirrors replaced with baby turbos mounted on the a pillar. swatch shields sunglasses hanging from the colormatched bandana.

what the hell man you steal my old HB
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
jimmy726

Vehicle: 1993 nissan hardbody

thats to funny but i would rock one like that
jimmy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
97redhardbody
Jester

Vehicle: 1994 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATABURGER View Post

Bro, Do you have any pics of that? That shit sounds sweet!!
97redhardbody is offline   Reply With Quote