Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #21
Tirediron

Vehicle: Nissan truck z24

Good work on resurfacing the head!
And, that's the correct spec of .008 max. Shaving will increase your compression, but youll probably be ok if your .008 or less. If more get a shim on rock auto for like 20 bucks. If it were me, id shim it if its way over 8, by a new 15 buck head gasket, reuse your new bolts and shave the top of your front cover. After all, it's aluminum (easy to shave even with a big flat file) and the top joint between the cover and your head is not under pressure and just needs to be oil tight.
It'll be okay!
Tirediron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #22
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirediron View Post
Good work on resurfacing the head!
And, that's the correct spec of .008 max. Shaving will increase your compression, but youll probably be ok if your .008 or less. If more get a shim on rock auto for like 20 bucks. If it were me, id shim it if its way over 8, by a new 15 buck head gasket, reuse your new bolts and shave the top of your front cover. After all, it's aluminum (easy to shave even with a big flat file) and the top joint between the cover and your head is not under pressure and just needs to be oil tight.
It'll be okay!
I have to respectfully disagree with this approach. Sounds like a lot was shaved off the head and block. Install a shim and new head gasket and then try to install the front cover WITHOUT cutting it down. First. I'll go along with chancing a second install on the head bolts though.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #23
MidnightOil

Vehicle: 1997 D21

OK, I think I figured out the tight fit on the timing cover - and I did not end up shaving any more off of the cover. Here's what I'm thinking - I torqued the head down on the new gasket without having installed the timing cover yet - so the front part of the head gasket never got compressed - and I think the extra thickness was getting in the way. Once I pulled the head off to have the machine shop check it, I built a jig to hold the timing chain and put the timing cover on without the head installed. It slipped right on and was flush with the top of the block. Now I'll re-torque the head, with new bolts and gasket (sigh) and it should be good to go. Lesson learned about installing the timing cover first when installing a new headgasket.
MidnightOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
amdilligaf1 (10-05-2020), stevechristmas (10-05-2020), XoXSciFiGuy (10-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #24
WetSocks

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody 4x4

Jumping on this thread with a relevant question. I was in a similar boat with replacing timing components from martin industries; however, I did damage my head gasket trying to slide the front cover back on.

My question is, instead of replacing the head gasket, because this part of the gasket is just for keeping oil in, could I cut out the gasket in this area and just seal with permadex as I would everywhere else on the front cover?

Doesn't seem like it would cause any coolant leaks and would save me a ton of work.
WetSocks is offline   Reply With Quote